Can I use XRGB2+ with Sega CD?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

Can I use XRGB2+ with Sega CD?

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Like for audio or something?

Or do I need a special RGB cable that has the ability to pass through the audio from the CD part. Or does the CD audio come through the AV port of the standard genesis unit? I've never owned one before and its kinda confusing just looking at pictures.

Found this on ebay, is it a complete CD system?

I already have a Gene 2 system.

Thanks for your help.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
MB

Post by MB »

My apologies for the necroposting, but I'd like to help out. AFAICT, without using the audio output from the CD unit, you'll only get sound effects from the Genesis audio out. I concocted an adapter to incorporate the RCA audio input with a Genesis SCART cable (I removed the Peritel connector, though). It might not hurt to drop the RGB lines across 75ohms to lower the intensity of the picture. And, it works wonderfully with the XRGB2. :)
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Sounds like a professional is needed for such an operation.

The only game I want to play on Sega CD is Heart of alien and i'm not sure its worth going through so much hassle for one game.

Thanks for your reply. It is much appreciated.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

It depends on what model genesis you are using. If you are using a model 2, ALL the audio WILL come out of the Genny's port. In stereo. I can confirm this as I have both a Genny 1 and 2 with a SCD 2.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
MB

Post by MB »

No kidding? Hmmm... could've sworn.... Well, this means I can massively scale back my present Genesis RGB cable. :lol: Any word on the audio quality; just as good?

PS: If this is the case, you should give it a try neo. I remembered the PCB setting on the XRGB2/+ that drops the RGB lines for you (the chroma encoder in the Genesis has a side effect of amplifying the RGB signals; on some monitors it washes out the picture too much). Never give up trying! :)