Help needed with Sony KV-2647R

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Agent13

Help needed with Sony KV-2647R

Post by Agent13 »

Hello all,

I'm trying to solve a few problems with my Sony console TV, and would appreciate any guidance. I do have the Sony service manual for this set.

When I purchased this TV I noticed a pincushion issue. Upon some troubleshooting, I noticed a leaked capacitor in the pincushion circuit. I replaced the cap and adjusted the pincushion pots and this issue is mostly resolved. I still have a slight bowing outward in the upper half of the screen. Any ideas on what else I can look at for this?

Before:

After new cap and adjustment:

Now I have noticed an additional two problems.

First problem is on a completely black screen, the left half of the CRT is brighter than the right half. There are also a few faint vertical lines on the left half of the screen. Unfortunately I can't find the picture I took of this.

The second problem is that the Red and the Blue seem to be smearing? I don't see any divisions on the color bars. The white is perfect, and the green has most of the divisions.

matt

Re: Help needed with Sony KV-2647R

Post by matt »

One half of the screen brighter than the other is usually a capacitor issue. There are 2 filter caps on the ~200v line that runs from the flyback to the RGB amps on the neck board. Normally they're 10 or 22uF at 250v. They're among the first to go bad on Trinitrons and will cause this issue.

The color bleed is a sign that the tube is worn out. There's no way to fix this (aside from a temporary "rejuvenation"), so it may be best to minimize its effect by lowering contrast and enjoy what life the TV Has left. Or you may be able to find another tube from a working TV with less sentimental value.