Super HD System3 Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
broken

Re: Super HD System3 Pro

Post by broken »

supergrafx77 wrote:I guess the only disappointing thing I can think of is that this new Chinese unit has Supergrafx implementation as well. I will survive and be happy w/ my unit. I recommend Uper Grafx over this company.
Chinese unit? Just like all of our products, it’s designed and produced entirely in Europe. The pcbs are made in Spain and the factory that solders all of the components to the pcb is in Spain too. The only thing we make in China is our plastic cases.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

supergrafx77 wrote:As far as lack of CRT support, the fact that you can at the same time, output RGB from the PC Engine or Coregrafx 1 or 2, as long as the system is modded, I always considered the Upergrafx having RGB/CRT support from the get go. Just the RGB has to come out via the modded AV output directly from the pc engine, so you can solely output via CRT or go hdmi or both dually, as long as your PC Engine is RGB modded.
This is true, though I also see the possibility of complications in some setups when it comes to getting the mixed CD audio output as well. Also, not generating the analog RGB from the digital source also takes away the possibility of correcting the colors. A key reason for me to switch to the MiSTer core for all my PCE needs was the addition of corrected colors, after years of using the now garish raw RGB colors that we get with mods. It is nice that this device will make it possible to enjoy correct "composite" colors with RGB picture quality for those who will stick to original HW.
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

fernan1234 wrote:
supergrafx77 wrote:As far as lack of CRT support, the fact that you can at the same time, output RGB from the PC Engine or Coregrafx 1 or 2, as long as the system is modded, I always considered the Upergrafx having RGB/CRT support from the get go. Just the RGB has to come out via the modded AV output directly from the pc engine, so you can solely output via CRT or go hdmi or both dually, as long as your PC Engine is RGB modded.
This is true, though I also see the possibility of complications in some setups when it comes to getting the mixed CD audio output as well. Also, not generating the analog RGB from the digital source also takes away the possibility of correcting the colors. A key reason for me to switch to the MiSTer core for all my PCE needs was the addition of corrected colors, after years of using the now garish raw RGB colors that we get with mods. It is nice that this device will make it possible to enjoy correct "composite" colors with RGB picture quality for those who will stick to original HW.
That reminds me, I haven't logged into AO/Arcade Otaku in some time, forget the gentleman's name/real nice guy, I've ordered before from him once/talented guy over in the UK that does limited batches of things once in awhile/mainly for himself but helps the community out as well in the process. I remember him producing some rgb mods/pcbs for the pc engine that remedied those inaccurate bright color levels via rgb. I missed out on the batch and so disregarded rgb modding since then or until enough demand might happen again. I haven't logged in over there in so long. I might log in and see what is up. I certainly do not want to go about rgb modding the system w/ inaccurate color pallet. I'm going by memory, but think his limited batch, solved these issues. Just going by memory though.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

supergrafx77 wrote:That reminds me, I haven't logged into AO/Arcade Otaku in some time, forget the gentleman's name/real nice guy, I've ordered before from him once/talented guy over in the UK that does limited batches of things once in awhile/mainly for himself but helps the community out as well in the process. I remember him producing some rgb mods/pcbs for the pc engine that remedied those inaccurate bright color levels via rgb. I missed out on the batch and so disregarded rgb modding since then or until enough demand might happen again. I haven't logged in over there in so long. I might log in and see what is up. I certainly do not want to go about rgb modding the system w/ inaccurate color pallet. I'm going by memory, but think his limited batch, solved these issues. Just going by memory though.
I never heard of that particular PCB, but I'd bet a lot that it does not solve the color palette problem. I'm guessing that what it may have done was perhaps attenuate the brightness, but that's not the issue. The matter is about different color spaces, going from the internal RGB values to YUV ones in the original output. It was only around the middle of last year that the table was calculated to figure out the correct values in the RGB -> YUV translation, which is why we know we have them correct now. I don't think it is possible to do this with an RGB amp, which is why Voultar was working on an S-video solution--though not sure if he'll complete that project.
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

fernan1234 wrote:
supergrafx77 wrote:That reminds me, I haven't logged into AO/Arcade Otaku in some time, forget the gentleman's name/real nice guy, I've ordered before from him once/talented guy over in the UK that does limited batches of things once in awhile/mainly for himself but helps the community out as well in the process. I remember him producing some rgb mods/pcbs for the pc engine that remedied those inaccurate bright color levels via rgb. I missed out on the batch and so disregarded rgb modding since then or until enough demand might happen again. I haven't logged in over there in so long. I might log in and see what is up. I certainly do not want to go about rgb modding the system w/ inaccurate color pallet. I'm going by memory, but think his limited batch, solved these issues. Just going by memory though.
I never heard of that particular PCB, but I'd bet a lot that it does not solve the color palette problem. I'm guessing that what it may have done was perhaps attenuate the brightness, but that's not the issue. The matter is about different color spaces, going from the internal RGB values to YUV ones in the original output. It was only around the middle of last year that the table was calculated to figure out the correct values in the RGB -> YUV translation, which is why we know we have them correct now. I don't think it is possible to do this with an RGB amp, which is why Voultar was working on an S-video solution--though not sure if he'll complete that project.
Thanks, fernan1234, I will try sending a pm over there to him today and report back. Sounds like you are right. It had to be a few years now since that AO rgb solution.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

broken wrote:Chinese unit? Just like all of our products, it’s designed and produced entirely in Europe. The pcbs are made in Spain and the factory that solders all of the components to the pcb is in Spain too. The only thing we make in China is our plastic cases.
"You" moved to that tax haven called Andorra in order not to pay Spain taxes, didnt you? Worth mentioning, while you're at it.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Andorra is literally in between France and Spain, it's hardly the same as moving to China.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Yeah, I'm from there. It just was a bit irksome reading Europe or Spain so many times and at the same time remembering the way they moved to Andorra with a big FUCK OFF to their current EU/Spanish customers. At the very least, it should be clear they pay taxes in a well-known tax haven. Hopefully they actually live there and use Andorra's public services - not the norm, you know.
broken

Post by broken »

Yes Alex lives there and yes we pay our taxes to Andorra. It’s not tax free, just significantly less than Spain.
Todd of Retro Frog

supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

Hi broken,

Will prior SSD3 customers be able to send their older systems in for an update/revision for perhaps an additional fee? Or given at least a discount towards the newer revised pcb, if upgrading the original pcb is impossible in that the revised model/pcb was designed completely new/from the ground up?

I know w/ the Uper Grafx, if one wanted to to get the update/revision from the 2016 model to the 2018 model (UGX-01 to UGX-02), customers could send their older model in for such an upgrade.
There seems to have of course been a "a charge," for this service, and I'm sure the customer was responsible for shipping charges back and forth to or within Japan.

Here is the original text concerning the customer care via Uper Grafx's website:
UGX-01 から CD-ROM2 互換機能の対応には部品追加のため改修サービス(有料)の対応が必要です.
(2018年2月21日更新) いろいろや ひげねこ堂様で受け付け開始をしました. → 【うーぱーぐらふぃくすUGX-01改造依頼フォーム】

昨年に旧版を買ってくださったみなさまへ
CD-ROM2 互換機能の開発は予想よりも大変で、昨年のご支援なしでは開発することが出来ませんでした. 本当にありがとうございます.

Google Translate: In order to support the CD-ROM2 compatible function from UGX-01, it is necessary to support the repair service (charged) to add parts.
(Updated on February 21, 2018) Various things have started accepting at Higenekodo. → [Upper Grass UGX-01 Remodeling Request Form]

To everyone who bought the old version last year
Developing a CD-ROM2 compatible feature was harder than expected and couldn't have been done without last year's support. Thank you very much.
broken

Post by broken »

There is no planned upgrade program.
Todd of Retro Frog