Replacing USB cord for Xbox360 HORI Real Arcade Pro EX

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Blue Comet

Replacing USB cord for Xbox360 HORI Real Arcade Pro EX

Post by Blue Comet »

Hello everyone, new user here so forgive me if this isn't the right place to have this.

I've had this Xbox360 HORI Real Arcade Pro EX for some time now, bought it off a friend for a good price after he had no further use for it. Reason being so I could play fighting games on my PC as the cord was compatible with it. (Plug and play, no issues with installation or nothing.)

It worked well for a good while but I began to notice damage on the USB cord and eventually it got worn out to the point where it was unusable. After some failed attempts to solder the wire back together (I'm not that handy I guess) I took a look at the stick inside and saw that it is a 5 pin harness that looks quite easy to replace.

The trouble is that this is about the closest thing I can find to replace it: https://arcadeshock.com/products/ex-gea ... ade-sticks

Says right there in bold that: "NOTE: This replacement USB cable is NOT compatible with Xbox 360 or Xbox One Hori arcade sticks or Sony PS3 arcade controllers as the pin out are different from the PS4 variant"

Mine is an Xbox360 version unfortunately...even though I use it for PC. So I'm up in the air about whether it'd work or not but the thing about the pin tells me right there it'd be a waste of money to even try. I know that fighting game communities are hyper competitive so latest and greatest is about the only thing available in terms of replacement hardware in their eyes.

I do like the stick though, it works well and is a great step towards getting better at these types of games. Only thing is that dang wire...be a shame to shell out $100+ for a brand new stick when I know all it would need is something to replace a component that'd be $20 at most.

I guess what I'm asking is this: Is there anyone here that knows about replacing/fixing these USB cords for arcade sticks designed for older systems? Or am I truly out of options here? I don't have the thing apart at the moment but I can provide pictures if needed.

For an older site you guys seem pretty active and helpful, plus as a side note I love the old BBCode sites. Feels nostalgic to me hehe.
jd213

Re: Replacing USB cord for Xbox360 HORI Real Arcade Pro EX

Post by jd213 »

If you're just going to be using it on PC, it might be easier and cheaper to get something like a Zero Delay Encoder (which aren't really Zero Delay, but probably about the same as a 360-era Hori stick, maybe better). You can get them for about $10.

If you're paranoid about lag like me, a Brook Fighting Board is much closer to zero lag, but they run quite a bit more.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Can you post a pic of how the original usb cable connects?

You could map the pinout of the original usb cable, with multimeter, get a usb cable with at least one end correct (usb a?). Cut the unneeded end of the new usb cable, strip it, and solder directly to the pcb that the the original cable connects to. Should be a max $10 fix.

I replaced the original (too short) usb cable on my qanba q1 with a longer cable that I had on hand, in this same fashion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Blue Comet

Post by Blue Comet »

Ok, I'll post a pic tomorrow after I take some time to get the casing open.
Blue Comet

Post by Blue Comet »

ImageImage
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Dude, cant get any easier. Get a replacement usb cable, like I said. Cut one end and strip it back. You will have those 3 wires exposed. Solder them to the underside of that connector, in the correct order.

If you really wanted to go overkill on it, figure out what connector and what pins are used (manufacturer and model numbers). Get the pins and the correct crimping tool. You can probably extract the original pins using a paper clip or Bobby pin, and reuse the original connector. Crimp new pins onto your replacement cable and insert them. This is probably a much higher cost, and again way overkill, but some of us are ruled more by our ocd than practicality.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk