Troubleshooting sony KV32S65 after recap

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Cooperd9

Troubleshooting sony KV32S65 after recap

Post by Cooperd9 »

I have an rgb modded KV32S65 that was working great for me for a while, but a few weeks ago when I powered it on the geometry was thrown way off of what it should be. It had been great before, but when I powered it on that time the picture was shifted way to the right and there was some severe pincusion effects. Since the geometry issues showed up so suddenly, I suspected that it could be a failing cap, and I thought doing a full recap wouldn't hurt even if that wasn't the cause of my problems, so I did a full recap of all the boards. Since doing the recap, I haven't been able to get anything to display on the tube, but it is getting at least some power.

When I power the set on, I hear a brief hum and the 15khz whine that would be expected, and if I put my hand near the screen I can feel static like normal with powered on crts, but the screen just remains black no matter how long I leave it. Cycling inputs will not get me anything, and the OSD is not visible (I used the method which mixes the OSD and rgb signals so the OSD remains visible when doing the rgb mod) when I try to switch inputs, adjust the volume, or anything else which should get the OSD to show. When the set was working and I powered it on, I normally heard the hum as it warmed up and the 15khz whine, and then a second or two later there would be a clicking noise and the picture would come on almost immediately after the click, but I do not hear a click no matter how long I leave the set powered on. If it helps, the standby/power LED blinks on and off at a steady pace of about once per second while the tv is powered on now too, it didn't blink after the picture came on before the recap.

I have looked over my solder joints and don't see any obvious shorts, but I don't know where to go from there with troubleshooting. Can anyone at least point me in the right direction?
tongshadow

Re: Troubleshooting sony KV32S65 after recap

Post by tongshadow »

Maybe you got a bad new cap, it's rare but can happen. You can also undo the rgb mod and see how it goes.
Cooperd9

Post by Cooperd9 »

tongshadow wrote:Maybe you got a bad new cap, it's rare but can happen. You can also undo the rgb mod and see how it goes.
Any advice on how to test them? I suppose I can at least check if any are shorted with a continuity check on a multimeter to start.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

If it's really bad then yea, it might give you a dead short for a moment. If everthing is ok retrace your steps and check the polarity and the values, maybe you have put a weaker one in the wrong place.