SONY-TRINITRON.GWM 3000 CRT Monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
100 Mega Shock

SONY-TRINITRON.GWM 3000 CRT Monitor

Post by 100 Mega Shock »

I wanted to ask if there is anyone here who owns this monitor?
I would like to collect so many pictures and information about this great device.

Unfortunately, I have just found a single picture on the network, which comes from a brochure.

But maybe someone has something to do with it. :D

SONY LAUNCHES 30-INCH TRINITRON MONITOR
Tuesday 23 May 1995 | 00:00 CET | News
Sony Component & Computer Products Group (San Jose, TX) has launched a 30-in Trinitron high-resolution monitor. The USDlr21900 device has a 28-in diagonal viewing area, with a non-interlaced resolution of 1920 dots x 1080 lines, representing over 2 mil pixels. The 16-to-9 aspect ratio GWM-3000 device features auto calibration and digital alignments capabilities, and can display characters as small as 0.1 in corner to corner.

Model Details
16:9 28" Viewable Display Area - larger display area allows for better user interface for improved productivity.Larger drawings and images can be seen without zoom and pan operations.1920 x 1080 pixels of resolution - Detailed displays can easily be read.Crisp clear graphic displays.Photographic like image quality.Non-Interlace Refresh Rates (2) - Operation at either 60 Hz or 72Hz provides a wide range of applications and graphics cards.Beam Current Feedback - Provides color temperature stability via continuous auto calibration.As the CRT ages or temperature changes, the color temperature of white will remain constant.Selectable Color Temperatures 9300K/6500K/5400K/5000K - Allows flexibility for variable environments and applications.Digital Alignment - user maintenance adjustments required by large high performance CRTs are digitally controlled for ease of setup. Documentation includes setup procedures designed so that the display can be set up and aligned by a non-technical user.Control buttons - for easy adjustment of :power, brightness, contrast, size (H/V), picture rotation, degauss and factory preset data.

https://books.google.de/books?id=vzoEAA ... 000&f=true

The monitor, which besides the wider screen has a higher resolution than most other computer monitors, is aimed at professional users. Target customers include people who do digital editing and special-effects work for the movie industry, automobile designers who use computers to create 3-D models and anyone else willing to spend $21,900 for a computer screen.

Unlike most computer monitors, which have screens with 4:3 aspect ratios -- a measure comparing width with height -- this new monitor, model GWM-3000, has the same 16:9 aspect ratio as a movie screen. That gives the monitor more usable display area than standard computer monitors, said John C. Wyckoff, product marketing manager for Sony Electronics, which is based in Park Ridge, N.J.

The GWM-3000's video tube has a 28-inch diagonal viewing area, and it scans its image on 1,080 horizontal lines with 1,920 pixels -- picture elements -- a line. By comparison, many 4:3 aspect-ratio computer monitors offer screens of up to 21 inches diagonally, have resolutions as high as 1,280 pixels over 1,024 lines and cost up to $2,500.
Mr. Wyckoff said the Sony product's hefty price was based in part on the low manufacturing volume the company was planning for the monitors, which will be made at a Sony monitor assembly plant in Ichinomiya, Japan. Sony, which expects to sell no more than a few thousand of the monitors each year, will begin taking customer orders for the product in March, for delivery within 90 days.

If a market does develop, at least a few competitors will be ready. Two weeks ago, Philips Business Electronics in Saronno, Italy, a unit of Philips N.V. of the Netherlands, announced the availability of a 32-inch 16:9 computer monitor tube with a 30-inch diagonal viewing area. But instead of making monitors with the tube, Philips plans only to sell the tubes as components to other manufacturers.

Sony also expects competition for the GWM-3000 to emerge if the market materializes for digital high-definition television sets. If broadcasters in the United States proceed with their tentative plans to offer HDTV programming later this decade, the HDTV sets on which viewers watch the programs are expected to have 16:9 aspect ratios.

Already, the Sharp Corporation of Osaka, Japan, has developed a 16:9 video monitor with a liquid-crystal-display screen that can double as a computer display.
tongshadow

Re: SONY-TRINITRON.GWM 3000 CRT Monitor

Post by tongshadow »

Doubt anyone here has it as it seems to be a limited ultra-highend monitor for professionals, and these things are rare. It would be incredible to even see one that still works nowadays.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

It may have never seen a full production run.

Sort of like in 2015 or 2016, Dell or somebody announced an OLED monitor that was going to 4k 120hz, super high end. It got delayed a few times. They made a few hundred that were 60hz, then basically cancelled it. I think the story was the yields were to low to be profitable.
diamondtron

Post by diamondtron »

I looked up information about this monitor in the past. I think the first time I heard of it was because it was listed in the manual of one of my Sony CRT PC monitors, probably the FW900. Other than brochures and articles referencing the announcement of the monitor, I haven’t seen anything else about it.
100 Mega Shock

Post by 100 Mega Shock »

It was clear to me that it would not be easy.
You may find something in high-resolution images of the device.
I think there must be a prospectus.

The other two have also been found - it just takes time and hard work. :wink:
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

99% sure this never got a production run whatsoever, I assume there’s probably only prototype units/the units used in any advertisements. I found a small article showing it off once, worldradiohistory.org is filled to the brim with old catalogs/magazines & that’s where I was last reminded of this monitor the other month. Usually if you search for an obscure monitor’s model number in quotations on Google you can find an old .pdf hosted on aforementioned site and dig up an interesting old article/ad :)