IMPORTANT PSA on new DE15 cables from RETRO-ACCESS

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SCARTicus

IMPORTANT PSA on new DE15 cables from RETRO-ACCESS

Post by SCARTicus »

I recently received (four months after ordering) three very expensive coax RGB DE15/3.5mm cables for my consoles from Retro-Access. Unlike previous DE15 console cables I had ordered from them in the past, these cables have the 3.5mm audio broken out from the left-hand side the DE15 head. It's a real flimsy breakout, too. It's thinner than cheapo throwaway cables. This may seem like a small quibble at first glance, BUT!

THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE:

Extron switchers get power from a D-plug on the far left-hand side of the device (when viewed from the back, where things plug in).

Extron switchers with 3.5mm inputs place those input jacks to the right-hand side of their corresponding DE15 connectors.

WHAT THIS MEANS IS:

These RA cables cannot be used in the far left two positions on a switcher. The D-plug pinches the audio breakout to an unacceptable degree.

These RA cables interfere with large to normal sized 3.5mm cables inserted to the left-hand side of the RA cable . None of my RCA to 3.5mm pigtails fit in such placements. THEY DO NOT PLAY NICELY WITH OTHER CABLES! They don't play great together...

These RA cables otherwise make clean cabling impossible. Even in spots where they almost sort-of fit, the audio line must still cross from one side of the DE15 connector to the other.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I spent a lot of money, and waited a long time for cables that cannot be used in the way that I need to use them. When you use the custom cable builder, it shows the 3.5mm breakout coming from the back of the DE15 head. That is how they used to do it and it does not cause these issues. It used to be a much thicker breakout cable, too. Like, twice as thick. I also still have an old DE15/3.5mm cable that they made for the SNES, and it has the 3.5mm at the MultiAV port! That's really where it should be.

What do they think people are doing with these cables? The site makes it clear that they at least expect many BNC customers to be using Extron gear.

I feel cheated.

What should I do?
kitty666cats

Re: IMPORTANT PSA on new DE15 cables from RETRO-ACCESS

Post by kitty666cats »

Bullet dodged - I was incredibly close to pulling the trigger on a Saturn cable, haha - more incentive to get off my ass and just make my own for fun :]
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Good PSA. I imagine that you can reach out to them and ask them to re-do these connector for you. After all, the cable builder does show them in the old configuration, so you were completely within reason to expect them to be like that.

This will also be useful for them to reconsider their custom cable making approach going forward, and will benefit those placing new orders, who should also play it safe and add a note to their orders explicitly requesting that the audio line is placed where it used to be/should be.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

A short VGA extension cable should resolve this. Something like this: https://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart. ... ail&p=8832

But yes, for something like that, it should really be like it is in the photo on the site.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

fernan1234 wrote:Good PSA. I imagine that you can reach out to them and ask them to re-do these connector for you...
Yeah, maybe I'll be lucky enough to receive a reply to my email. Then, what? I'm out my cables another four months? It takes eight months to get a working cable?
Guspaz wrote:A short VGA extension cable should resolve this. Something like this: https://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart. ... ail&p=8832

But yes, for something like that, it should really be like it is in the photo on the site.
Yeah
matt

Post by matt »

Can you post some photos? I use all DE-15 Extron switchers but am having a hard time visualizing your problem.

Although your situation doesn't sound ideal, there's got to be a simple 3.5mm extension (or 3.5mm to phoenix) cable that can be built to solve the problem in the event that RA doesn't fix it themselves.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

You don't buy expensive custom cables to use them with adapters!

Just like I described:

Reminder that these cables cannot physically fit into ports #1 or #2 without damaging the audio breakout. The cable in the photograph is my N64 cable, and my 64 console has a 3.5mm jack on the console itself. It is from there that the audio is currently being run.
Last edited by SCARTicus on Sat May 22, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I'm pretty sure that the cable builder site also lets you choose the type, location (input end or output end), and even length of the audio line, which can be done pretty long especially if you specify it in a note. Of course, as said already, if the picture shows the line coming out of a given side it should be like that when you receive it, unless otherwise requested or specified, so you have complete grounds to request a free and prompt solution from them.

Have you tried to contact them already? If you'd like, please post an update here about how long it takes for them to respond, and what solution they offer.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

fernan1234 wrote:I'm pretty sure that the cable builder site also lets you choose the type, location (input end or output end), and even length of the audio line, which can be done pretty long especially if you specify it in a note. Of course, as said already, if the picture shows the line coming out of a given side it should be like that when you receive it, unless otherwise requested or specified, so you have complete grounds to request a free and prompt solution from them.

Have you tried to contact them already? If you'd like, please post an update here about how long it takes for them to respond, and what solution they offer.
Ok, I will.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Get a blade out and take off some of the plastic on the side. What kind of DIYer are you anyway? Who cares what it looks like after you butcher it? I know that's going to be your second complaint after "I paid all this money, I shouldn't have to do this myself! It should come perfectly molded, because I deserve the best! A great injustice has been issued and must be corrected immediately!"

Just make it work man, it's not that complex. You should be more bent out of shape with the time it took to arrive than this issue.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

ldeveraux wrote:Get a blade out and take off some of the plastic on the side. What kind of DIYer are you anyway? Who cares what it looks like after you butcher it? I know that's going to be your second complaint after "I paid all this money, I shouldn't have to do this myself! It should come perfectly molded, because I deserve the best! A great injustice has been issued and must be corrected immediately!"

Just make it work man, it's not that complex. You should be more bent out of shape with the time it took to arrive than this issue.
I AM NOT A DIYER, FOOL! I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE! IF I WERE A DIYER I WOULDN'T BE BUYING SIXTY-DOLLAR CABLES TO BEGIN WITH!

I ORDERED A VERY SPECIFIC PRODUCT AND RECEIVED SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND INCOMPATIBLE!

I EXPECT TO RECEIVE WHAT I ORDER! THIS IS NOT UNREASONABLE!

I DO IN FACT DESERVE THE BEST, FOOL! I PAID FOR THE BEST!

YOU ARE CLEARLY A VERY LOW-QUALITY PERSON!
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

SCARTicus wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Get a blade out and take off some of the plastic on the side. What kind of DIYer are you anyway? Who cares what it looks like after you butcher it? I know that's going to be your second complaint after "I paid all this money, I shouldn't have to do this myself! It should come perfectly molded, because I deserve the best! A great injustice has been issued and must be corrected immediately!"

I AM NOT A DIYER, FOOL! I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE! IF I WERE A DIYER I WOULDN'T BE BUYING SIXTY-DOLLAR CABLES TO BEGIN WITH!

I ORDERED A VERY SPECIFIC PRODUCT AND RECEIVED SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND INCOMPATIBLE!

I EXPECT TO RECEIVE WHAT I ORDER! THIS IS NOT UNREASONABLE!

I DO IN FACT DESERVE THE BEST, FOOL! I PAID FOR THE BEST!

YOU ARE CLEARLY A VERY LOW-QUALITY PERSON!
Clearly you're in an unstable frame of mind. Or an unstable frame of life as the case more realistically appears. Feel free to whine all you like, it's not going to change your situation, where my suggestion definitely would. You haven't even shared a picture of what you think the cable SHOULD look like for comparison.

Lest this turn into a repeat of the gscartsw thread where mods intervene, I've said my part.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

SCARTicus wrote: YOU ARE CLEARLY A VERY LOW-QUALITY PERSON!
They're not sending their best, folks. SAD!!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

SCARTicus wrote:You don't buy expensive custom cables to use them with adapters!

Just like I described:

Reminder that these cables cannot physically fit into ports #1 or #2 without damaging the audio breakout. The cable in the photograph is my N64 cable, and my 64 console has a 3.5mm jack on the console itself. It is from there that the audio is currently being run.
Very short 90 degree 3.5mm adapters may help with this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01M8F8ORW

You shouldn't have to do this, but do you want a working setup or not?
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

SCARTicus wrote:Ok, I will.
worth mentioning theyre in a way right now, so replies are more sporadic than ever.

Honestly the cables look salvagable to me, though obviously not ideal. if youre not unplugging them constantly, seems like they should hold out, flimsy cable or not.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Does Extron make a HD15-only switcher that uses 3.5mm for both audio input AND output? Not asking because I am particularly interested in getting one (I have a ‘Creator’ brand 4:4 VGA matrix that uses 3.5 for audio I/O), am just curious. :)

Stupid block terminals xD
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

kitty666cats wrote:Does Extron make a HD15-only switcher that uses 3.5mm for both audio input AND output? Not asking because I am particularly interested in getting one (I have a ‘Creator’ brand 4:4 VGA matrix that uses 3.5 for audio I/O), am just curious. :)

Don't think so, they all have phoenix outputs
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

kitty666cats wrote:Does Extron make a HD15-only switcher that uses 3.5mm for both audio input AND output? Not asking because I am particularly interested in getting one (I have a ‘Creator’ brand 4:4 VGA matrix that uses 3.5 for audio I/O), am just curious.
Does that matrix have auto switching? For me the only reason to go with Extron and put up with the stupid block terminals is to get the option of auto switching (which also happens to work in the most rational way, i.e. the last active signal taking priority).
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

maxtherabbit wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Does Extron make a HD15-only switcher that uses 3.5mm for both audio input AND output? Not asking because I am particularly interested in getting one (I have a ‘Creator’ brand 4:4 VGA matrix that uses 3.5 for audio I/O), am just curious. :)

Don't think so, they all have phoenix outputs
Yeah, they all output Phoenix that I have seen.
This is actually great in my opinion, because it gives options easily. They often come with screw terminal adapters, so you can make an output cable easily and without soldering by cutting a connector off of a donor cable. Those screw terminal adapters are easy to find separate, too. You can have them outputting to RCA, 3.5mm, quarter-inch, XLR, or even to another Phoenix connector. Some devices use Phoenix on the gozintas.
The best part is that the Extrons will balance unbalanced audio. This is awesome for long runs and also for interfacing with professional audio gear that expects balanced inputs (this does matter often). You can use XLR, but because the signals from our consoles and disc/tape players are at line level, it is generally simpler to use quarter-inch TRS. It depends on your setup.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

So I will double-check mine but it sounds like they've switched which side of the DSUB the 3.5mm breaks out of? On mine they all break out right where the 3.5mm input is on the switch (Extron VGA Ars). You kinda have to bend it a bit, but it's a tidy solution. Swapping it would make no sense, it worked fine before. The custom cable builder shows it coming out of the sleeve for the DSUB connector, and as far as I know that's never actually been the case.

Now there is an option to get a 3.5mm breakout on the console end, that's right there in the cable builder. Maybe you needed something different and I'm misunderstanding you there. They could probably add that on if you end up sending the cable in to them anyway.

Which switch do you have? An MVX? I'll take a picture of one of mine plugged into my Ars (heh), but I'm definitely using the first 2 ports on it.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Or you could just... look at the photo that was posted in this thread...
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

fernan1234 wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Does Extron make a HD15-only switcher that uses 3.5mm for both audio input AND output? Not asking because I am particularly interested in getting one (I have a ‘Creator’ brand 4:4 VGA matrix that uses 3.5 for audio I/O), am just curious.
Does that matrix have auto switching? For me the only reason to go with Extron and put up with the stupid block terminals is to get the option of auto switching (which also happens to work in the most rational way, i.e. the last active signal taking priority).
I can’t remember off the top of my head, but if you Google “Creator” “VGA” “Matrix” all in quotes I know the manual or specs. I want to say no, it doesn’t have auto switching… but that’s not something I care about anyway. What I *DO* care about is that the thing really makes a visible difference, it makes the image super-crisp!

Rackmount matrix switchers are awesome in that regard… and it entertains me that people in this weird niche community are so stuck on Extron when there’s plenty of other options out there just as good quality/affordable xD
matt

Post by matt »

Please let's not get into a flame war over this. Everybody's trying to help, and for God's sake these are toys, nit something worth fighting over. Part of this hobby is trying to fit non standard pieces of equipment together, some of which are old and not in the best working order. Without some kind of DIY mindset you're always going to be frustrated.
Yes, there is the MMX 32 VGA A mini matrix switcher. One of its 2 outputs is DE15/3.5mm, the other is BNC/Phoenix.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Guspaz wrote:Or you could just... look at the photo that was posted in this thread...
I don't remember which side of the VGA port my switch has the audio input on, or which side of the connector the output comes out of on my RA cables, so I don't think the photo really answers any of my questions...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

matt wrote:Please let's not get into a flame war over this. Everybody's trying to help, and for God's sake these are toys, nit something worth fighting over. Part of this hobby is trying to fit non standard pieces of equipment together, some of which are old and not in the best working order. Without some kind of DIY mindset you're always going to be frustrated.
Yes, there is the MMX 32 VGA A mini matrix switcher. One of its 2 outputs is DE15/3.5mm, the other is BNC/Phoenix.
If that was directed at me - I love Extron gear! I just don’t want to see it eventually get expensive / wish other stuff got some shine and got tried/tested so people could have a larger wealth of valuable info :]
matt

Post by matt »

No, you're good! It was directed at the guys typing insults at each other in all caps.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Guspaz wrote:Or you could just... look at the photo that was posted in this thread...
Or you could just... learn how to quote... :wink:

There was one picture posted by OP and for the life of me I can't figure out if that's the desired configuration or the supposedly bad as-received configuration. His diatribe calling me a fool 3x in all caps did nothing to clarify that.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

In the photo, you can see the audio breakout coming out the side of the VGA head, and the 3.5mm audio jack in the photo appears to be from the next input over and not the one shown. It actually looks fine for the port shown, presumably the problem is the left-most VGA inputs, which are adjacent to the IEC C14 power socket (no idea why OP kept saying "D-plug" as that's a confusing thing to call a C14 socket).

Here's a photo from Extron:

The issue would appear to be that the audio breakout comes out at a 90-degree angle right into the space occupied by the power connector, and must then bend out of the way at a tight radius.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Guspaz wrote:In the photo, you can see the audio breakout coming out the side of the VGA head, and the 3.5mm audio jack in the photo appears to be from the next input over and not the one shown. It actually looks fine for the port shown, presumably the problem is the left-most VGA inputs, which are adjacent to the IEC C14 power socket (no idea why OP kept saying "D-plug" as that's a confusing thing to call a C14 socket).

Here's a photo from Extron:

The issue would appear to be that the audio breakout comes out at a 90-degree angle right into the space occupied by the power connector, and must then bend out of the way at a tight radius.
Correct.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Everybody calls it a D plug because it's shaped like the letter D.

Never heard of C14 in my life lol