IMPORTANT PSA on new DE15 cables from RETRO-ACCESS

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guspaz

Re: IMPORTANT PSA on new DE15 cables from RETRO-ACCESS

Post by Guspaz »

I've only ever heard it called an IEC plug or a "computer plug". I understand in the UK they call it a Kettle plug (because they use it to power their kettles). Never heard the "D plug" term used.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Okay I was able to get some out of focus screenshots of my switch and actually it looks like the newest cable I have has the audio jack coming out of the back of the cable, like how it shows on the builder. 90% sure others I have come out on the left if you're looking down at the switch from the front... Why the hell would they retro access start shoving them out the right side, and change what worked perfectly fine...

I would say, assuming you can get ahold of them, they should absolutely take that back and move where the audio breakout is. Worst case is they have to 3D print a different connector shell with the hole in a different spot (those are 3D printed right?). If they have any decent understanding of what customer support is supposed to mean, hopefully they can rush that right away and not make you wait another 3 months. But definitely incredibly frustrating to see them take a step backwards somehow on a design I figured they pretty much never had to touch again. I see improvement on every "generation" of DSUB cable I've gotten from them until this.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Boy I sure hope I don't get called a fool again for this question but here goes. Are you saying the audio cable circled in this picture is coming out at a precarious angle? If that's the case, remove those 4 screws, find a way to make it work by altering the plug housing, then stitch it back up. Done.
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

ldeveraux wrote:Are you saying the audio cable circled in this picture is coming out at a precarious angle? If that's the case, remove those 4 screws, find a way to make it work by altering the plug housing, then stitch it back up. Done.
I agree, if it can be moved from side of the connector and run out the main hole that would take care of it.

Suppose that depends on how the audio cable comes out of the connector, any chance we can see a pic OP?