Interest in an 480i/p upscaling hall of shame/fame?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
xeos

Interest in an 480i/p upscaling hall of shame/fame?

Post by xeos »

I recently added a simple test image for measuring how good a TV/upscaler does with pixel art and other fine detail to my lag tester. You can see an example of it here:

https://alantechreview.blogspot.com/202 ... eased.html

This was a quick and dirty effort on my part, just 15 minutes in (gasp) mspaint. I'm sure a better test image could be made that fits in about that number of pixels (around 160 square). Small is good here, because my main interest here is upscaling from 480p. My example is also designed to measure overscan, which wastes a lot of space, so you could definitely pack more in.

I'm aware of the 240p test suite (http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... test_suite) and it's a nice set of images, but it fails my goal totally, which is a single image that gives a realistic overall sense of how good a job the TV is doing.

Which gets me to a related point: if such an image were designed, it would be neat to have a gallery that showed how well different TVs and dedicated upscalers handled that image. Or at least that's how I feel. Given the lack of popularity that my piLagTester and piLagTesterPRO have had, I'd like to have a sense of genuine community enthusiasm for this kind of project before I embark on making it happen. Or, maybe it already exists and I've missed it?

One upside to this effort is that it would be fairly easy to crowd source, since no dedicated hardware would be required; any computer or console that could be convinced to output a PNG at 480p would do.
xeos

Re: Interest in an 480i/p upscaling hall of shame/fame?

Post by xeos »

Also, I'm familiar with the excellent work Fudoh did on upscalers. I mentioned upscalers because of course you'd want to test those too, but I'm thinking more the built-in scaling units of TVs, which are almost entirely uncharacterized.

Plus, while Fudoh's work is very good and very detailed, it doesn't really encourage cross-comparison, since there's no single image that you could put in a hall of shame/fame. That is the downside of using actual video game content: each screenshot is good at showing a single issue or two, but you can't cover all the problems at once.