Component vs Scart

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Odolwa

Component vs Scart

Post by Odolwa »

I've heard that some people are now switching their setups to all component based, and no longer use scart at all. I'd like to know why they are doing that. Is component superior to C-Sync scart? Component can output 480p via progressive scan, which scart cannot do, but in terms of consoles that were made before the GameCube or PS2, like the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, PS1, or N64, 480p didn't exist, so what is the benefit? What company even makes component cables for retro consoles? Isn't it just HD Retrovision cables and aren't they kind of expensive and hard to come by now?
Dochartaigh

Re: Component vs Scart

Post by Dochartaigh »

Odolwa wrote:I've heard that some people are now switching their setups to all component based, and no longer use scart at all. I'd like to know why they are doing that. Is component superior to C-Sync scart? Component can output 480p via progressive scan, which scart cannot do, but in terms of consoles that were made before the GameCube or PS2, like the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, PS1, or N64, 480p didn't exist, so what is the benefit? What company even makes component cables for retro consoles? Isn't it just HD Retrovision cables and aren't they kind of expensive and hard to come by now?
I honestly am as baffled as you by this. Seems like some people would rather buy like ~5 (or whatever) individual component cables, with each cable having it's own individual RGBS to YPbPr converter built into them (like HD Retrovision cables have), to run to their component-only display or upscaler (which I can't think of any popular upscaler that doesn't take RGBS fyi...).

...instead of running WAY more common, and cheaper, and easily available (don't know if they're any better currently, but for literally YEARS now HD Retrovision have nearly constantly been out of stock every. single. time. I've ever checked), RGB cables for each of these consoles, then, and ONLY if they have to (because their display or upscaler doesn't take RGBS), buy ONE SINGLE RGBS to YPbPr converter... and save a metric crapton of savings, and ease of use in my eyes too.

I get the 480p thing for the maybe, what? like 20ish popular PS2 games (out of the ~2000 PS2 games) which can output 480p (which BTW, you can run sync-on-green RGsB over SCART on PS2 which does 480p), but that's all I can think of.
VariaSuit

Post by VariaSuit »

It has nothing to do with video quality. Some people just prefer the consistency and simplicity of component over SCART.

SCART cables are available in several different configurations and several different levels of quality. Component is always YPbPr and all of the currently-available options (in the retro gaming space) are well-made.

RGB is theoretically superior to YPbPr but it practice you'll get excellent results with either as long as you use high quality cables.
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

Most likely people unsure of their SCART cable possibly sending voltages where it shouldn't go, particularly if you got it from somewhere other than Retro-Access, RGC or Insurrection Industries. No one likes a blown fuse or worse. You'd be hard pressed to have to worry about that with component.

I just prefer the simplicity of the one connector with SCART, but it's not like I don't already have a component video chain set up for systems that use it (PS2/GC/Wii, etc).
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

RGB isn't theoretically better than YPbPr, it's just a different way of communicating the image. A bunch of consoles like the Gamecube work as YCbCr internally, and most scalers do their work in YCbCr too. So if you're connecting your RGB consoles to a Framemeister, OSSC, RT5X, etc. the signal is being converted to YPbPr/YCbCr for processing anyhow. Unless you're going directly from a console to an RGB monitor without any processing in between, you're probably actually converting to component and just don't realize it.

With component, everything always just works. There is no worry about sync types or sync voltages or sync strippers, you don't need to worry about what resistors or capacitors you put on what pins to make up for missing things in the console-end. You just plug the component cables in and it just works.

If you've figured out all the potential issues with an RGB or SCART setup, and you've matched all the right cable types to the right consoles, and all that jazz, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with that setup. It'll work just fine.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Isn’t component superior to scart, because component can do progressive scan on the GameCube and scart cannot? Isn’t it true that the maximum output of scart is 480i, while the maximum output of component is 480p? I’m confused about the Sync-on-Green though, how can a scart cable do 480p? Is Sync-on-Green superior to C-Sync?
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Now that HD RetroVision has worked out their availability issues, and released all of their adapters, it would be madness for a North American gamer to start with SCART. Component video is way easier to work with, and you can use dirt cheap RCA switchers without having to worry about sync or voltage or low-quality cables. You’ll spend close to as much on high quality SCART cables as you would for HD Retrovision. More with a high quality switcher. It’s a no brainer. YPbPr FTW
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Odolwa wrote:Isn’t component superior to scart, because component can do progressive scan on the GameCube and scart cannot? Isn’t it true that the maximum output of scart is 480i, while the maximum output of component is 480p? I’m confused about the Sync-on-Green though, how can a scart cable do 480p? Is Sync-on-Green superior to C-Sync?

SCART is just a connector. The signal is RGB, and it’s the same signal as VGA, just at a lower resolution. Component is not superior to RGB, they are equals. Sync on Green is something you do not need to worry about. Only Sony used it, and for PS2 the best hookup is Component. PSX does not use SOG either. Clean C-Sync is best sync, but you do not need to worry about that with Component.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

I have an older JP-21 setup and have decided these days to switch to component with the newer scalers being released.

Haven't switched yet, but I've never been happy with the jailbars I get from my Genesis (which I modded and is still bad) and Saturn and I've seen screencaps showing how good Retrovision component cables elminate a lot of that with their built-in filters.

The switch-over won't cost me much, if anything, going by the current prices my old stuff is going for on ebay.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

SCARTicus wrote:Now that HD RetroVision has worked out their availability issues, and released all of their adapters, it would be madness for a North American gamer to start with SCART. Component video is way easier to work with, and you can use dirt cheap RCA switchers without having to worry about sync or voltage or low-quality cables. You’ll spend close to as much on high quality SCART cables as you would for HD Retrovision. More with a high quality switcher. It’s a no brainer. YPbPr FTW
I can see them for sale on Castlemania Games. Their SNES and Genesis cables are $65, that’s pretty expensive, and they’re preorder. I have just one for the Super Nintendo, and I paid about $90 for it on eBay 3 years ago. What adapters were you referring to, or by adapter do you mean cable?
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

When you guys say that people don’t have to worry about voltage with component cables, is it even that big of a deal, since everybody just uses GScartSWs, that 10 port Axun one that does JP21 and scart, or the scart switchers from Otaku Games? Voltage shouldn’t even be a thing that people worry about at all, because the majority of scart switchers that people use now are protected against it anyway.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Assuming you have quality cables, the signals from scart and component should be indistinguishable for the most part, until you start zooming in at 100x magnification and start trying to nitpick. That said, a lot of people like using component because scart cables can be built so many different ways and there's been so many shltty scart cable makers in the past and if a scart cable is designed extremely poorly, it can even damage your equipment. I got into scart years ago and have nice cables so it's hard for me to justify switching over. However, if I were getting into high quality cables right now and hadn't bought anything, I'd probably invest in component like HD Retrovision simply because component cables have far less variances and issues than scart can have.
eightbitminiboss

Odolwa wrote:When you guys say that people don’t have to worry about voltage with component cables, is it even that big of a deal, since everybody just uses GScartSWs, that 10 port Axun one that does JP21 and scart, or the scart switchers from Otaku Games? Voltage shouldn’t even be a thing that people worry about at all, because the majority of scart switchers that people use now are protected against it anyway.
Yes, if they even got those switches. Some people don't or are unaware they exist. I came across a post on the retrogaming subreddit of someone still using the SCART to HDMI adapters which are kinda jank.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

For the Gcompsw 8:2, it has 2 outputs, could you plug in 8 devices and use just one of the outputs?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Odolwa wrote:When you guys say that people don’t have to worry about voltage with component cables, is it even that big of a deal, since everybody just uses GScartSWs, that 10 port Axun one that does JP21 and scart, or the scart switchers from Otaku Games? Voltage shouldn’t even be a thing that people worry about at all, because the majority of scart switchers that people use now are protected against it anyway.
The gscartsw, as far as I know, and some other SCART switches, does not support TTL sync input. Or at least they're not designed for it and it may cause long-term damage. Even if they can successfully normalize everything via sync-on-green support and sync regeneration, you may be protecting your downstream devices from TTL voltage levels by slowly destroying your SCART switch. And it's not a cheap switch.
Odolwa wrote:For the Gcompsw 8:2, it has 2 outputs, could you plug in 8 devices and use just one of the outputs?
Of course.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Did they ever have component in Europe?
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

For the Gcompsw 8:2, would you have to switch outputs for devices on the second channel, or how does it work?
eightbitminiboss

Odolwa wrote:For the Gcompsw 8:2, would you have to switch outputs for devices on the second channel, or how does it work?
It's automatic. It's made for simultaneous output. Only 1 input should be active.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

eightbitminiboss wrote:
Odolwa wrote:For the Gcompsw 8:2, would you have to switch outputs for devices on the second channel, or how does it work?
It's automatic. It's made for simultaneous output. Only 1 input should be active.
It looks like it uses 2 channels, that’s why I’m wondering. It wouldn’t matter if I had something plugged into channel 2 for example, and using a device plugged into channel 1, would it?
eightbitminiboss

Both outputs output from the same input. You can use one or both. A use case would be someone who wanted to play on their component CRT and the other output being connected to a capture card.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It's just a built-in splitter. Both outputs are always mirrored. I have one output connected to my PVM and one output connected to an OSSC (soon RT5X).
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

I know HD Retrovision sells their own male-to-male component cable, but it's 6ft long, doesn't that degrade the signal a little? Would it be better to get a shorter cable, since your component switcher and your upscaler will be right next to each other anyway?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Instead of going from RGB SCART to YPbPr with RCA connectors people can instead switch to DSub 15-pin setups, which can do RGBS, RGsB, RGBHV, and YPbPr! Along with 240p/480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and many PC resolutions into CRT monitors and scalers, all using the same tried-and-true, small form factor, secure "VGA" connector, cheap manual and automatic "VGA" switch boxes, and cheap coax cables from switch to monitor/scaler. The only cost/effort is in making or getting custom DB15 cables for game consoles, and Retro-Access offers those for the same price as SCART full coax cables and HD Retrovision cables, and less expensive than custom BNC cables. And for CRT TVs and scalers with SCART connectors, all that's needed is a "VGA" to SCART cable (with attenuation if the source or switch outputs TTL).

Clearly the superior option in every single way.
Last edited by fernan1234 on Thu May 20, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

Properly done, SCART in RGB is the highest theoretical quality for standard def native RGB consoles.

For n00bs getting into this YPbPr is less confusing with less pitfalls.

And IRL the image quality differences are academic. Other factors in the chain overwhelming affect final image quality and I seriously hope no one plays at 5000x magnification.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

mikechi2 wrote:Properly done, SCART in RGB is the highest theoretical quality for standard def native RGB consoles.
Highest theoretical quality only because of RGB, but not the connector type (SCART). RGB can be delivered with other connector types, DB15, BNC, and even RCA.

edit: just noticed who you are so you obviously know this, but it's informative for many people to decouple SCART from RGB as a necessary pairing.
Last edited by fernan1234 on Thu May 20, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

fernan1234 wrote:Instead of going from RGB SCART to YPbPr with RCA connectors people can instead switch to DSub 15-pin setups, which can do RGBS, RGsB, RGBHV, and YPbPr! Along with 240p/480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and many PC resolutions into CRT monitors and scalers, all using the same tried-and-true, small form factor, secure "VGA" connector, cheap manual and automatic "VGA" switch boxes, and cheap coax cables from switch to monitor/scaler. The only cost/effort is in making or getting custom DB15 cables for game consoles, and Retro-Access offers those for the same price as SCART full coax cables and HD Retrovision cables, and less expensive than custom BNC cables. And for CRT TVs and scalers with SCART connectors, all that's needed is a "VGA" to SCART cable (with attenuation if the source or switch outputs TTL).

Clearly the superior option in every single way.
I'd agree with you, but Retro-Access has 0 stock of anything. I've been checking their website for 3 years, all I ever see is TBD on every item. I assume it means "To Be Determined".
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

fernan1234 wrote:
mikechi2 wrote:Properly done, SCART in RGB is the highest theoretical quality for standard def native RGB consoles.
Highest theoretical quality only because of RGB, but not the connector type (SCART). RGB can be delivered with other connector types, DB15, BNC, and even RCA.
Sure but those aren’t readily available off the shelf
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Odolwa wrote:I'd agree with you, but Retro-Access has 0 stock of anything. I've been checking their website for 3 years, all I ever see is TBD on every item. I assume it means "To Be Determined".
mikechi2 wrote:Sure but those aren’t readily available off the shelf
Right now RA actually has orders available for such custom cables. They've had them open for maybe over a week now, so it's a great time to get them in while they wait for their SCART connectors and can focus only on these.

Also this shows that other good quality cable makers can step in to offer more alternative, non-SCART RGB options.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Can you expand on this point? You're saying that Scart does do better picture quality than component for RGB?
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Right now RA actually has orders available for such custom cables. They've had them open for maybe over a week now, so it's a great time to get them in while they wait for their SCART connectors and can focus only on these.

Also this shows that other good quality cable makers can step in to offer more alternative, non-SCART RGB options.
How do you order from Retro-Access? I've emailed, and been ignored so many times. There's no order button, just something that says "Available for order TBD" and you can't click on it.