4:3 for widescreen monitors

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
headlesshobbs

4:3 for widescreen monitors

Post by headlesshobbs »

Since the other thread perked my interest in the matter, do any current displays have the capability to have their aspect ratios switched either from menu or by other means?

While part of the issue is gaming related, the other is just general media usage because of all the legacy video and content that's still out there. Forced to stretch should be a crime against humanity.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Guspaz

Re: 4:3 for widescreen monitors

Post by Guspaz »

Basically all monitors do, I'd imagine. I've never owned a monitor that didn't. Though the controls are usually not 4:3 versus 16:9, but "original" versus "full wide" versus "just scan" or some naming variation thereof. "Original" should preserve the aspect ratio of the incoming signal, though you shouldn't really be feeding the signal from any sort of retro gaming console to a modern monitor without passing through some sort of scaler, which will itself have some sort of aspect ratio controls.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

I think the ossc will be good enough in that case, but anything outside of using that is where I'm ultimately concerned.

Anyway I've only ever used a computer crt up until it died and needed another as a replacement, which I've semi-retired to the side for becoming dim and stuck with my HDTV as my setup alternative. I wouldn't know anything if multiple formats were supported.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Guspaz wrote:Basically all monitors do, I'd imagine. I've never owned a monitor that didn't. Though the controls are usually not 4:3 versus 16:9, but "original" versus "full wide" versus "just scan" or some naming variation thereof. "Original" should preserve the aspect ratio of the incoming signal, though you shouldn't really be feeding the signal from any sort of retro gaming console to a modern monitor without passing through some sort of scaler, which will itself have some sort of aspect ratio controls.
I've owned several PC monitors over the years (mainly from the '00s; Acer, Asus brands) that lack aspect ratio controls. You might see it more with newer or more expensive monitors, and I would expect it to be absent from the cheapest ones.