Best Arcade Stick Levers for Shmups

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gooders5000

Best Arcade Stick Levers for Shmups

Post by Gooders5000 »

Hi everyone, firstly apologies if this is a tired topic, but after reading numerous old forum posts on the topic I would really like to touch base with some people on their preferred levers for their arcade sticks.

I've recently switched from a NES pad to a Mayflash F500 Elite which comes with a Sanwa JLF, which I've seen people say isn't the best for Shmups.

I emulate everything from NES to modern Cave stuff, and find the travel of the JLF creates a sort of artificial form of input lag, as my brain is working faster than my inputs, which when I was on the NES pad was not an issue, and I had really worked out micro-movements with the d-pad, I guess I want to sort of re-create the closest to that in a stick as I can.

From my preliminary research I'm drawn to the Seimitsu LS-62, possibly with the KOWAL short throw mod also, this seems like it might be good for micro-movements in newer CAVE and bullet hell stuff, which is what I am after.

Very keen to hear what people here use, and any information/opinions in general would be very much appreciated before I drop any cash on a new lever.

Thanks in advance.
SCARTicus

Re: Best Arcade Stick Levers for Shmups

Post by SCARTicus »

Everyone agrees that the zippy joystick is the best
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I posted this just a few days back:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68466
Gooders5000

Post by Gooders5000 »

bigbadboaz wrote:I posted this just a few days back:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68466
Fantastic, that's really helpful, thank you!
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Regarding the LS-62, it has the "weird stubby shaft" from the LS-32. This is all preference, but that's one of the main reasons I prefer the 56 so strongly.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I've always been an LS-32 gal. The "weird stubby shaft" doesn't bug me in the last, and I love the short engage time. Just feels good to use. I'll admit I've never tried an LS-56, but the 32's a classic for a reason.
Gooders5000

Post by Gooders5000 »

I've put an oversize actuator and a 4lb spring in my stock Sanwa JLF since I posted this which feels infinitely better.

A good friend of mine has an LS-32 so I'm gonna wait until lockdown is officially over and try that out at his, the shorter shaft actually appeals to me from a micro movement stance.

I may even buy the 62 just to try out, and swop back if I don't get along with it, it's certainly the lever that appeals to me most.

Cheers all.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I run a JLF with bigger actuator and stronger spring also, but have a shaft that is 11mm shorter and a bat top.

This makes the bat top sit at the same height as the ball top would normally but you have the advantage of being able to hold the bat lower if you need a super short throw.

Dashes in fighters are a breeze but im running circle gates and I dont really like the feel of them for shmups.

Maybe because I played so many hours of Raiden as a kid on an MCA but I think those with a square gate are the king of shmups joysticks.

Long fixed shaft with a short throw.
Mad Grab

Post by Mad Grab »

LS-56 w/ octo gate feels really short to me, try it out!

The LS-40/LS-32 have always felt slightly longer to engage.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Prefer LS-33 or LS-40 myself.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee