Multi-Tiered Questions about Genesis 2+CD+32x w/ TBP

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NoAffinity

Multi-Tiered Questions about Genesis 2+CD+32x w/ TBP

Post by NoAffinity »

I just picked up a Genesis 2+Sega CD2 off of offerup for a decent price. "Put away working 3 years ago, I think the power supplies got trashed, I can't test it". You know the story. For the price, it was worth it even if non-working. Turned out to be fully working. :D

So, I swapped in my TBP-modded Model 2 VA1 and 32x. The setup is now: Genesis Model 2 VA1 (w/ TBP mod) + Sega CD2 + 32x w/ 3 sega original power supplies appropriate for each device they are powering.

And now I have questions.

1) I am getting CD audio only out of the Sega CD base's RCA audio outputs. No sound effects. Testing with Robo Aleste, and the options menu sound effets test. Is that to be expected?
2) Out of the 32x's a/v out (RGB SCART, tested fully working prior to integration with the Sega CD), I am again testing with Robo Aleste, and the options menu sound effets test. I am getting most sound effects, but a couple don't play anything - 00 and 06. I'm assuming if I'm getting some sound effects, then the associated audio circuitry is working, but just double checking.
3) I read that once connected to the Sega CD, only mono audio comes out of the 32x a/v out. Is that still true with a TBP installed (assuming it is correctly installed)?

4) I have this TBP - v0.3. I also confirmed it is properly configured for VA1:
Spoiler
And I followed these installation instructions for the TBP install, and all has worked well thus far to the best of my knowledge. Any concerns with following these instructions, considering the setup?
Spoiler
Lastly, I saw these supplemental instructions for VA0, VA1 and VA1.8, instead of sourcing "CR" and "CL" for the TBP from the locations in the above instructions:
Spoiler
Lastly, lastly, a picture of the setup, just for good measure:
Spoiler
As always, any and all help/guidance/illumination is apprecaited.

:edit: okay, well as soon as posting this I thought I'd check the Final Fight CD test menu, and sure enough it provides the ability to play the CD audio tracks and the individual sound effects. In this test, all sound effects are present, and output is identical between the CD2 base's RCA outs and the a/v out. But since we're already here, hoping to getting any help/guidance/illumination that can be offered.
Josh128

Re: Multi-Tiered Questions about Genesis 2+CD+32x w/ TBP

Post by Josh128 »

My Genesis 2 freezes within seconds of booting a 32X game, my Genesis 1 works fine with it. I read it was a known issue. Maybe because its a VA2 model?