14M2U PVM to RetroTink 5X SCART Cable (75Ohm Necessary?)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ProgVirus

14M2U PVM to RetroTink 5X SCART Cable (75Ohm Necessary?)

Post by ProgVirus »

Hi Folks,

I'd like to use my PVM (14M2U) to pass-through an RGB signal via BNC > SCART cable to the RetroTink 5X (the intent to play on the PVM, with RetroTink 5X feeding to a capture card). I know that the RetroTink 5X requires a 75Ohm SCART connection (lest it RIP in peace).

My SNES modded with Voultar's RGB mod is currently outputting 75Ohm itself, with 'straight-through' (TTL) SCART cables being used to the PVM.

My question is, will the PVM pass-through the signal as-is, or bring it back up to TTL necessitating I use a 75Ohm BNC > SCART cable like this one?

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... rter-cable

Any other solutions are appreciated! I'd like to avoid buying one of those expensive gscartsw units if possible, as I really only need the signal to go to PVM and the RetroTink 5X. Thanks!
3nemy

Re: 14M2U PVM to RetroTink 5X SCART Cable (75Ohm Necessary?)

Post by 3nemy »

I have a very similar setup to what you're describing. All my consoles into an extron switch then output to my PVM. Then I'm using the tv as passthrough (BNC to Male SCART) and into an OSSC. One specific note was the scart cable is unidirectional and you had to tell the ebay seller how you wanted it wired (BNC--> SCART)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192693867212?h ... xySoJTWmEQ

This has been working for me with all consoles I've hooked up(SNES, N64 Voultar rgb mod, and gamecube with an EON and wii component cables) at least with the OSSC. I'm only struggling to get the gamecube to show on the Tink 5x, however, I believe this is due to OSSC allowing you to choose YPbPr through that scart cable and that might not be an option with the 5X. PVM sees the gamecube fine, Retrotink doesn't get its signal.

I could check voltage on the PVM output to be sure later today.
matt

Post by matt »

Do you have a resistor on the sync output of your Extron switch? They all output TTL level sync regardless of what's being input, which could eventually wear out the OSSC.
3nemy

Post by 3nemy »

Thanks for the heads up Matt. Turns out the output level for sync for almost every extron does boost to TTL and the "wookieewin" bnc to scart does not attenuate this with a resistor. Looks like i'll be adding a 470ohm inline on that scart end.
https://www.snailtoothgaming.com/articl ... nc-output/

ProgVirus, I wasn't able to test the pvm output signal today but I'll try to remember to bring home my fluke tomorrow. I'm assuming the PVM just keeps everything exactly the same when passing the cable but I'm not 100%.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

matt wrote:They all output TTL level sync regardless of what's being input, which could eventually wear out the OSSC.
interesting I didn't know this. I thought 75ohm csync was output as 75ohm.

looks like I won't be able to go from the Extron into a consumer TV like I've been planning to do...
I wonder if I'm also wearing out my USB3HDCAP by sending it TTL sync?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
matt

Post by matt »

Just put a resistor in the output cable of your Extron and it'll be fine.

This only applies to the H and V sync lines, it'll pass composite or YPbPr unaltered.
3nemy

Post by 3nemy »

Just the resistor or also an inline 220uf cap?
matt

Post by matt »

I doubt you'll need a cap. I've never used one for the sync line.