shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:48 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
After discovering that almost all my SCART cables are crap (well cheaply made anyway), I've decided that it's probably time to upgrade for the new 5x Pro that's on its way. Looking around at some of the sellers of higher quality cables, I see that there's more options than I would have thought. Some offer 75 Ohm Csync, some Sync on Luma, and some TTL Csync which I don't want. I'm thinking about going with Retro Access since the RGB Guy recommends them and they have a new line of more affordable cables called Fortaflex (https://retro-access.com/collections/fortraflex). However I want to make sure that I'm getting the proper cable for each of my systems, and that's where I need some help. Here's what I have hooked up to SCART cables (my PS2 is using component, my PS1 has a Insurrection Industries cable which is good quality, and my Neo Geo cable was just hand built for me so those should be ok):

All of these consoles are NTSC and stock unless otherwise noted

NES - This has the original RGB mod that came out 5 or so years and and a SNES Multiport in the back
SNES - Regular old fat SNES. Not sure on the revision though
N64 - RGB modded, but I'm not sure which one. It would have been one of the early ones form 5 or so years ago.
SMS - Just uses a Genesis 1 cable right?
Genesis 2/32X/CD combo - Anything special if the 32X is involved?
Saturn - Model 2
DC
TurboDuo - RGB modded with a custom 15 pin VGA style cable. I don't think I'll replace this one
XBox - I have component cables for this so I might just use those unless SCART RGB is somehow better


Can someone help me understand if I need 75 Ohm sync or Sync on Luma and if there's anything else I should know? Also, I know all the multiport systems (modded NES, SNES, and N64) use the same cable, but do they use the same sync?

I appreciate all the help that everyone has already shown me. You guys are some of the most knowledgeable people around.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 142
Location: TX
It is my opinion that you should use [75Ohm] Sync instead of [TTL-level] Sync. [TTL] is much higher voltage, and it can damage equipment that is made with [75Ohm] Sync in mind. On the OSSC, for example, only AV3 can be safely used with [TTL-levels].

You will want a [Clean Sync] signal every time that it is possible. Some consoles do not output a [Clean Sync] signal. In that case, the Sync will have to be taken from either the [Composite Video] signal or the [Luma] video signal. [Luma] is preferred over [Composite Video]; it's cleaner. [Luma] is only available on consoles that output S-Video, such as PSX. Whether you use [Luma] or [Composite Video] for your Sync signal, you will want to have a Sync-Stripper installed in the cable. That will take the [Luma] or [Composite Video] signal and strip it down to only the [Clean Sync] signal. This is important because some devices do not work well without [Clean Sync].

Since you are using Retro-Access, you will be able to order all of your cables to output [Clean Sync] at [75Ohms]. You should definitely order them with the DE15 video and 3.5mm audio connector though, instead of a SCART head. This will give you access to a vast array of super cheap high quality switchers and allow you to more easily interface with professional equipment. SCART is a lot like cancer, but unlike cancer it has a cure; DE15+3.5mm.

NESRGB can be configured however, but I would imagine that most installers make [Clean Sync] accessible at the avport.

With N64 and PSX you will have to use [Luma] for your Sync. Bring a Sync-Stripper.

I think that SMS can in fact use the Genesis 1 cable, but that is not how I play SMS. If you buy any Everdrive, you can play SMS on your Genesis natively and perfectly because the Genesis has a full SMS hardware implementation inside. Your SMS controllers will even work. The Genesis Everdrives have a button built-in to pause the SMS games.

Genesis, Saturn and SNES are easy.

On XBOX, component cables are always the way to go, and all XBOX games support progressive scan. It's nice to have double resolution in a game. Some games even support 720p.

For DC it will depend on if you want to play on a real 15KHz display or not. If you are going to use an upscaler or a high-res display, then you should use a VGA cable. You can get away with cheap ones sometimes. I got a good one on eBay for $15, but it was hand-made. Always stay away from Tomee, Old-Skool and the like.

Just to recap, remember that every RGB video cable will be either [75Ohm] or [TTL] AND ALSO either [Clean-Sync], Sync-on-[Luma], or Sync-on-[Composite Video]. These are all forms of [Composite Sync]. Remember that high-resolution RGB aka VGA, does not use [Composite Sync]. VGA, like from the DC or your PC, uses separate Horizontal and Vertical Sync signals.

Don't bother trying to get Fortaflex. It's almost never in stock, and only available in a scant few uncustomizable configurations. It also locks you into the highly undesirable SCART connector, which is trash. Get ready to wait, too. I'm still waiting on my February order. You can get high-quality, professional VGA switchers for peanuts on eBay.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:53 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 1403
Seconding everything that SCARTicus has said (and what a beautiful irony of a username!)

If you're going scorched earth and overhauling your entire RGB setup from scratch, there's no need to tie yourself up all over again with SCART. I just posted on another topic about how Retro-Access has a delay on SCART cables, but do have custom orders open for DB15 and BNC, so there's never been a better time for this.

As for DB15 switches, I recommend any Extron "VGA Ars" switches, which have manual and automatic switching functions, are professional-grade, and range from 2 to 12 inputs (with the 8 and 12 input models having dual outputs). With these switches you only need regular 3.5mm audio lines for each console cable (can select this option in RA's custom cable maker form), and then you'll need a phoenix connector to stereo RCA patch cable to get audio from the switch into your stereo system, TV, etc. RA has one listed, or at least used to, or they can make a custom one for you. I recall a Tindie vendor that sold adapters for this as well.
edit: these switches can also pass YPbPr component, you'd just need a 3-RCA to "VGA" patch cable.
edit2: unlike some BNC switches, these work with any kind and level of sync.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:31 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
I kind of have to stick with SCART because some of the cables I'm not replacing are SCART and I have a nice set of Otaku SCART switches that I use. Having to replace all of that is more than I think I want to spend unless there's a very good reason for it.

What about SCART cables from Insurrection industries? Do they get decent reviews? RGB Guy said they're not *fully* shielded but shield the important parts which is good enough for me. https://insurrectionindustries.com/prod ... ry/cables/


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:05 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 2552
Location: Kentucky
That's the missing info, yeah. If you've got a switch and existing cables- do double check the price of things like switches, as it might still not be an awful idea to switch over. I'm sure you could sell your switch for a good price. VGA will certainly take up less space if that interests you.

Anyways, will just say that depending on your equipment, sync on luma may be just fine. What you don't want is unattenuated TTL csync, and should avoid composite video for sync if you can help it, but with a properly shielded cable and the sync line filtering on upscalers today I don't think it's as big of a deal as it used to be. A sync stripper isn't really needed unless your equipment requires clean csync, like some Extron stuff. But since SCART originally used composite video for sync, I don't think anything SCART requires csync.

Using luma for sync is your set it and forget it option for SCART- not going to be TTL, much cleaner than composite video. Csync might be cleaner, but you have to make sure it's properly handled.

Retro-Access or Retrogamingcables are the consistent suppliers, I've only gotten one old cable from rgc and that was before they used PCBs, so I can't really judge their quality. The RA coax cables are fabulous quality, but stiff and hard to work with. I've never bought the fortaflex myself.

Of course, like mentioned now's the perfect time to order custom DSUB cables from RA since they didn't get a shipment of SCART connectors :P


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
bobrocks95 wrote:
Using luma for sync is your set it and forget it option for SCART- not going to be TTL, much cleaner than composite video. Csync might be cleaner, but you have to make sure it's properly handled.


And that's the missing info for me. I've been trying to figure out what the difference was between the two, I'm sure Csync will be fine as all I'm going to do is use an Otaku switch and a 5X Pro which both support it, but it's good ot know that Sync on Luma works just fine too.

I'll check out prices on switching everything over to DB15, but I can't believe it would be cost effective (and I do have one or two specialty cables). I think I'll just get cables from Insurrection as they test just as well as the Retro Access cables, are in stock, and are only $25 a piece (only...).

Will sync on luma work with an RGB modded NES? I think I have to use it for my RGB modded N64 if I'm reading things correctly.

Any suggestions on an output SCART cable? I need something to go from one switch to the other and then one to go to the 5X Pro. Obviously unless this cable is of good quality it's all for naught.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:57 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 1403
IMO if you're gonna stick with SCART just wait a couple of weeks and get Fortaflex from RA.

As for SCART to SCART, I'd also get it from them. Not sure if they make one with Fortaflex cabling or only coax though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
fernan1234 wrote:
IMO if you're gonna stick with SCART just wait a couple of weeks and get Fortaflex from RA.

As for SCART to SCART, I'd also get it from them. Not sure if they make one with Fortaflex cabling or only coax though.

I don't believe they do, but they have a 1 FT Coax one which would be perfect for my switch to switch issue. *IF* they come in though, sounds like it's very hit and miss.

What about my N64? Does that generally use Csync or Luma? I don't believe it has any special boards, just the basic mod that allows RGB as it's one of the early models that supported that.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 2552
Location: Kentucky
NTSC N64's will have S-Video available so sync on luma is fine. Depends on how your mod was done for csync, so like before luma's the safe, easy option.

NESRGB depends a bit more on how it's wired up- if you've got S-Video support in you should be good for luma. Otherwise I'd check things with a multimeter to see how sync was hooked up, if possible.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:37 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
bobrocks95 wrote:
NTSC N64's will have S-Video available so sync on luma is fine. Depends on how your mod was done for csync, so like before luma's the safe, easy option.

NESRGB depends a bit more on how it's wired up- if you've got S-Video support in you should be good for luma. Otherwise I'd check things with a multimeter to see how sync was hooked up, if possible.


I just checked my N64 and NES and they both support S-video so luma should work.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:29 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 308
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
First off, if you're concerned about your budget, don't replace all your SCART cables yet. The quality of cable that you need depends a lot on the environment in which it's used. If there's not a lot of electrical interference and your cable runs are short, you can use bad quality cables and be perfectly happy. It may be a good idea to wait until your new scaler arrives, test out your existing cables, and just replace the ones that have obvious problems. Normally, the main problem with cheap SCART cables is audio buzz, and while you will often have video interference it's not always going to be noticeable.

Don't get too hung up on the type of sync. Pure csync is really only necessary if you have a computer monitor or something like an Extron device that requires it. Composite video can cause interference in the RGB signal, but this is only an issue with poorly shielded cables. Your Retrotink will work fine either way.

SCART is indeed a goofy connector, but it works fine and if you already have a functional SCART setup there's no good reason to switch to some other connector type. DE-15 is not a perfect standard either, and unless you're able to wire up your own cables it's not particularly easy to use for game consoles. I personally use DE-15s for a lot of stuff, but I recognize that it has shortcomings and I don't think it's ideal for everyone.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
matt wrote:
First off, if you're concerned about your budget, don't replace all your SCART cables yet. The quality of cable that you need depends a lot on the environment in which it's used. If there's not a lot of electrical interference and your cable runs are short, you can use bad quality cables and be perfectly happy. It may be a good idea to wait until your new scaler arrives, test out your existing cables, and just replace the ones that have obvious problems. Normally, the main problem with cheap SCART cables is audio buzz, and while you will often have video interference it's not always going to be noticeable.

Yeah I might wait and see how bad they are. I know my Genesis one is absolutely terrible though with the audio buzz on a white screen or even with the Everdrive menu. My SNES has similar buzzing so those will probably go regardless.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 142
Location: TX
Bud you mentioned a SegaCD. Those will output your audio over stereo RCA jacks, even if you're not playing a CD title. Get your audio from the SCD and then remove the audio pins from the miniDIN connector, or open the connector and cut the audio lines there. That should get rid of the AV interference. If your Genesis core is a model 1, then you can pull stereo audio from the headphone port. I don't think model 1 passes audio on the the SCD, but model 2 always does for certain.

Some PSXs and all NeoGeoCDs output audio directly over RCA jacks, and that's what you should use when available.

SNES is a messed up situation because Retro-Access used to sell these bad-ass DE15+3.5mm cables just for the SNES. They were intended for use with the GBS-8200 series of scalers. They only asked like $20 for the cable and it was great quality; better than OEM quality. I still have one in use. It has a very thin, flexible jacket like traditional console AV cables, or like a SNES controller cable sort of. Thinner and more flexible than FortaFlex, and plenty robust in build. It gives a clean picture and great audio. Later on Retro-Access realized that they were effectively the only game in town and decided to squeeze us all, like this dickhole I know who pounces on all local CRT sales and giveaways in my area and then flips them at scalper prices. I hope he has a stroke. Anyway, they pulled they nice, cheap cable that was great and always available for a few years and now you need to shell out more than twice the price to get a DE15+3.5mm SNES cable from them.

Whenever you buy an AV mod for a console, always ask for a separate 3.5mm or RCA audio output to be installed on the console. It has been great with my N64, makes things simpler and sounds cleaner.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:58 pm 



Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 417
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
SCARTicus wrote:
I don't think model 1 passes audio on the the SCD, but model 2 always does for certain.

Model 1 certainly does. You can also use a 3.5mm male to male cable for mixing in games that use both CD and FM audio like Road Avenger.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:10 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
SCARTicus wrote:
Bud you mentioned a SegaCD. Those will output your audio over stereo RCA jacks, even if you're not playing a CD title. Get your audio from the SCD and then remove the audio pins from the miniDIN connector, or open the connector and cut the audio lines there. That should get rid of the AV interference. If your Genesis core is a model 1, then you can pull stereo audio from the headphone port. I don't think model 1 passes audio on the the SCD, but model 2 always does for certain.


So I want to use the audio from the CD when I have it hooked up to a Genesis 2 and not the audio from the SCART cable? How do I route that into the SCART connector though? It would need to go to a SCART switch.

Where I can get a decent Male to Male SCART cable to use with my switches and output to the TV? Retro Gaming cables makes one, but they want $35+ for it and that seems a bit ridiculous. I keep hear about using that KabelDirekt one from Amazon but then I also hear that it's just thick and not particularly good. Here's what the ones I'm currently using look like

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 142
Location: TX
You should not be using the same switcher for SCART video that you do for audio. Just use an RCA audio switcher before your amplifier or recording interface. If you put your audio back in to the SCART chain then you are defeating the purpose of keeping your A/V runs separate.

The KabelDirekt cable is the best that you can get on Amazon. It's crap. It will show noise on an upscaler. It has a thick, unwieldy jacket and more robust than usual connectors Name brand cables imported on eBay (Sony, Philips, etc) are usually better, but often expensive. This is another reason to switch to DE15. You are having a problem already sourcing high-quality patch cables! Not good! You can get great shielded VGA cables for peanuts, often for free. I promise you that SCART will be more expensive in the long run, and you will be purchasing many things twice. In order to get a SCART switcher of similar quality to a $20 Extron you are looking at a $200 solution such as gSCARTsw or Hydra, and you will still have to upgrade your cables to get a noiseless image from your scaler and clear audio. The reason that so many people on this board hate SCART and preach on DE15 is because we have gone down this route, bought everything twice and still been dissatisfied. Learn from our mistakes. Even a RGB2Component converter-cable based setup (like HDRetroVision) would be preferable to SCART, and of comparable price when all is said and done. Again you will be able to use cheap/generic patch cables and switchers which is a big deal. Also look in to a RAD2X setup over SCART. HDMI is easy to work with, and does not have the same sort of bullshit that analog puts you through. Things could be so simple my frin. SCART is simply, in 2021, the absolute worst way possible to do things. It does not make since anymore, and good SVideo is vastly simpler and far cheaper than dealing with RGB, and fares quite well in an image quality comparison with noisy RGB.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/Com ... YPbPr-240p

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-CABLES

https://castlemaniagames.com/collections/hd-retrovision

Remember that upscalers upscale imperfections as well, and make them more apparent. Upscalers are merciless. Cable noise can is a big problem. Frins don't let frins SCART.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:10 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
I appreciate your enthusiasm for DE15, but I'm going to stick with SCART for now.

I wish I could find a source for good male to male cables though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:57 pm 



Joined: 01 Mar 2018
Posts: 727
Tempest_2084 wrote:
I appreciate your enthusiasm for DE15, but I'm going to stick with SCART for now.

I wish I could find a source for good male to male cables though.


Good call.

I have these and they seem great:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... cart-leads

I also have the KabelDirect from Amazon and superg says he uses them at the 6ft length. He makes the most popular SCART switch, so you might take his advice. At least I think it was him!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 2552
Location: Kentucky
I can't imagine having a full scart switcher and adding an audio switcher onto it, that's gotta be a huge footprint to work with.

If it'll just be RCA for Sega CD, I thought the Retrotink 5x let you use the component's audio input while using the SCART input? I know the OSSC allows you to either use audio through the SCART connector or through a 3.5mm breakout.

Check the manual and you might be able to get by with that- or if you want, you can get a custom cable made with a Genesis 8-pin DIN with RCA breakouts and use that.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
bobrocks95 wrote:
I
If it'll just be RCA for Sega CD, I thought the Retrotink 5x let you use the component's audio input while using the SCART input?


That would be nice. I'll have to see about that.

Could you add audio TO the SCART cable with an adapter? Is that possible?


Last edited by Tempest_2084 on Mon May 03, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
ldeveraux wrote:
Tempest_2084 wrote:
I also have the KabelDirect from Amazon and superg says he uses them at the 6ft length. He makes the most popular SCART switch, so you might take his advice. At least I think it was him!

Might have to try one of those, but they're no longer as cheap as they used to be (still cheaper than the retrogaming ones though),

Any thoughts on the one I already have and took pictures of? It looks to be of ok quality, but I'm not much of a judge of these things.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 142
Location: TX
bobrocks95 wrote:
I can't imagine having a full scart switcher and adding an audio switcher onto it, that's gotta be a huge footprint to work with.

If it'll just be RCA for Sega CD, I thought the Retrotink 5x let you use the component's audio input while using the SCART input? I know the OSSC allows you to either use audio through the SCART connector or through a 3.5mm breakout.
.


I don't know much about the RT5x, but if it let's you do that then it is just fine. The important thing here is not running the audio and the video along the same lines. If you just jam the audio back in to a SCART switch then you have defeated the point. You would have put the audio and the video signals down extremely proximate lines before letting the signals reach their final device.

To me though sending the audio to the Retrotink5x really doesn't make much sense though if you are just going to be sending it to an audio receiver, integrated amplifier, or recording interface. Sure, the television will pass the digitized signal to your amplifier/receiver, but you can send it straight to the receiver in analog RCA from the console without subjecting the signal to an unnecessary analog-digital/digital-analog conversion. Depending on your television's AD converter and your receiver's DA converter, you might end up with an acceptable result. It will work, and it probably won't sound totally crap (it might, crappy converters are crappy), but it is far from ideal will yield inferior sound from your speakers. If you just want to use the tiny, tinny speakers built in to your TV then it is fine, but why do that? Games have good stuff to hear.

For the record, I have a nice Sony RCA and Svideo switcher that I got for like $8. 4 in, 1 out, great quality signal and build.

You also (most likely) already have an RCA audio switcher built in to your AV receiver if you use one, so for many of us you do not have to add anything extra.

bobrocks95 wrote:
Check the manual and you might be able to get by with that- or if you want, you can get a custom cable made with a Genesis 8-pin DIN with RCA breakouts and use that
.


THAT'S BONKERS! He already has RCA outputs on his SegaCD. Buying an additional cable with extra RCA outputs would solve nothing and cost money. If you want to go the super-simple route and just send the analog audio straight from the console to the Retrotink5x then just use the extant RCA outputs on the back of the SegaCD!

Tempest, please describe your current AV chain as fully as possible. Now I'm curious, and different setups favor different solutions.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 2552
Location: Kentucky
SCARTicus wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
Check the manual and you might be able to get by with that- or if you want, you can get a custom cable made with a Genesis 8-pin DIN with RCA breakouts and use that
.


THAT'S BONKERS! He already has RCA outputs on his SegaCD. Buying an additional cable with extra RCA outputs would solve nothing and cost money. If you want to go the super-simple route and just send the analog audio straight from the console to the Retrotink5x then just use the extant RCA outputs on the back of the SegaCD!

Tempest, please describe your current AV chain as fully as possible. Now I'm curious, and different setups favor different solutions.


Uh, you must be confused, I mean something like this with RCA breakouts at the console end to get audio in the SCART line like he wants:
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:04 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 142
Location: TX
bobrocks95 wrote:
SCARTicus wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
Check the manual and you might be able to get by with that- or if you want, you can get a custom cable made with a Genesis 8-pin DIN with RCA breakouts and use that
.


THAT'S BONKERS! He already has RCA outputs on his SegaCD. Buying an additional cable with extra RCA outputs would solve nothing and cost money. If you want to go the super-simple route and just send the analog audio straight from the console to the Retrotink5x then just use the extant RCA outputs on the back of the SegaCD!

Tempest, please describe your current AV chain as fully as possible. Now I'm curious, and different setups favor different solutions.


Uh, you must be confused, I mean something like this with RCA breakouts at the console end to get audio in the SCART line like he wants:
Image


You're still not making any sense. This is for the Genesis 2. If he wanted audio in the SCART cable, he could just buy a normal Genesis 2 RGB-SCART cable. The Genesis 2 outputs stereo audio from the mini-DIN port with the video. That cable that you linked is for the NeoGeo CD, which only outputs monaural audio from the DIN port, hence the RCA break-ins allowing stereo.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:43 am 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 2552
Location: Kentucky
The Sega CD RCA output can still be cleaner than what's coming out of the Genesis 2 mini-DIN, because the Genesis 2 is a complete mess. I did not "link" that cable, and just included a picture, because I literally said "something like this" could be used if he wanted to pull audio from the RCA jacks, but keep his existing setup simple with audio integrated.

To quote the actual OP who clearly wants audio in line with the SCART cable:
Tempest_2084 wrote:
So I want to use the audio from the CD when I have it hooked up to a Genesis 2 and not the audio from the SCART cable? How do I route that into the SCART connector though? It would need to go to a SCART switch.

Tempest_2084 wrote:
Could you add audio TO the SCART cable with an adapter? Is that possible?


I said in my post that he could run the RCA separately, OR if he really wanted to get a cable made with RCA connectors injecting audio into the SCART cable. Most people aren't going to want to run audio separately just for one console.

In the end I'd say if a cable is buzzy on a white screen, just replace it with a better cable. I've said before I use DSUB-15, but all my audio runs through the cable and then has a small 3.5mm breakout connector at the DSUB-15 end. No buzzing because they're properly made. It's what Retro-Access recommends too because I asked them about it initially- their older cables that ran a separate 3.5mm audio line from the console connector were much worse.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
So you can get the audio from the Sega CD (voice and music that plays during a game) through the SCART cable then with a Genesis 2? If so then I'm fine with everything. Maybe I misunderstood what I read, because SCARTicus made it sound like you couldn't get any audio from the Sega CD with a SCART cable and model 2.

My setup is just a Genesis 2/Sega CD/32X combo hooked into an Otaku SCART switch which is going to go to a 5X Pro (currently going into a Shinybow) and into my TV.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 2552
Location: Kentucky
Tempest_2084 wrote:
So you can get the audio from the Sega CD (voice and music that plays during a game) through the SCART cable then with a Genesis 2? If so then I'm fine with everything. Maybe I misunderstood what I read, because SCARTicus made it sound like you couldn't get any audio from the Sega CD with a SCART cable and model 2.

My setup is just a Genesis 2/Sega CD/32X combo hooked into an Otaku SCART switch which is going to go to a 5X Pro (currently going into a Shinybow) and into my TV.


I mean he has a point in that it may not make a difference at all. Audio is rough on a Genesis 2, so maybe it's cleaner from the Sega CD output, maybe it isn't. Stereo audio is available on the Genesis 2 Mini-DIN, so you definitely don't have to pull it from the CD, it's just another option.

Don't know how things change with a 32X either since I've never used one- thought it had its own video out?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 280
bobrocks95 wrote:
Don't know how things change with a 32X either since I've never used one- thought it had its own video out?


Yes the SCART cable is connected to the 32X. There's a cable that connects the Genesis to the 32X.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:09 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 5821
Location: Where the fish lives, WV
I'll chime in on Retro Access. Their cables are really good, but I'm not fond of how thick they have gotten. But they say it was demanded for, by fans. So, I guess that's that.
_________________
My Collection: http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/col ... Collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:03 pm 



Joined: 01 Mar 2018
Posts: 727
evil_ash_xero wrote:
I'll chime in on Retro Access. Their cables are really good, but I'm not fond of how thick they have gotten. But they say it was demanded for, by fans. So, I guess that's that.


Again, unless they've improved their QC in the last few years, they aren't "really good." I popped countless solder joints simply inserting the cable to the console.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gydocker45 and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group