SCART Cables: What to Buy?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fernan1234

Re: SCART Cables: What to Buy?

Post by fernan1234 »

maxtherabbit wrote:This is not the first time I have had someone make a similar claim. I was discussing with SCARTicus in PM where he claimed that using luma-as-sync was working through his MVX 84 VGA A.
Don't have a scope, but again want to clarify that I've been talking about the "SW VGA Ars" models, not the MVX models, with which I have no experience.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

fernan1234 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:This is not the first time I have had someone make a similar claim. I was discussing with SCARTicus in PM where he claimed that using luma-as-sync was working through his MVX 84 VGA A.
Don't have a scope, but again want to clarify that I've been talking about the "SW VGA Ars" models, not the MVX models, with which I have no experience.
I understand, I will scope the Ars and see. But this whole convo is giving me deja vu of SCARTicus' MVX. I can't help but think it may be the same situation
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

maxtherabbit wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:
I understand, I will scope the Ars and see. But this whole convo is giving me deja vu of SCARTicus' MVX. I can't help but think it may be the same situation
Ok Max, right now I only have one DE15 cable that does not output clean C-Sync. It's a cable that I had Retro-Access make for my NGCD. It's hooked up to my Extron SW6 Ars, which feeds it to my transcoder and then to the TV. The signal is passed without issue ~as far as I can tell~ by by my MVX84a as well. Now, it is possible that there is a sync stripper in this cable, but I bone-headedly ordered it without. I just went through my email just now and confirmed it. I don't know if I can determine if there is a stripper in there without opening my nice cable that is working so well. I have a multimeter, but no scope. For the record, I have not ever managed to get either of my NGCD consoles to sync with the OSSC, even with a SCART cable and SyncStrike.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Check the resistance between VGA pin 13 and the sync pin on the input side. If there is 500ohms or less, then it's safe to say there is no stripper. If it's an open line or extremely high resistance, there probably is a stripper.

It's possible the SW4/SW6 behaves differently than the MVX. It's also possible the problem still exists but your still able to use it despite the distorted waveform.

I'm really genuinely curious about this now I want to get to the bottom of it
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

I'll test it for you tonight.

~EDIT~

It turns out that my 9V battery died and I cannot find my spare. So I can't check that NeoGeo cable tonight. Maybe tomorrow.
I did double check my SW and MVX that they will both pass CVBS and YPbPr. They just use the Green line for CVBS and the R,G,B lines for Pr, Y, and Pb.
matt

Post by matt »

Well, I just tested it again and composite video still does not work for sync on my Extron switchers.

I do not have an oscilloscope, but I tried it on 2 different monitors and an RGB2Comp. None of them worked.

FWIW, I just tried composite video, not luma, since I don't have any cables that are set up to use luma as sync.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

SCARTicus wrote: I did double check my SW and MVX that they will both pass CVBS and YPbPr. They just use the Green line for CVBS and the R,G,B lines for Pr, Y, and Pb.
Yes, this has never been in dispute. The question is only whether these video signals can be used on the *sync* lines of the switchers
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

maxtherabbit wrote:
SCARTicus wrote: I did double check my SW and MVX that they will both pass CVBS and YPbPr. They just use the Green line for CVBS and the R,G,B lines for Pr, Y, and Pb.
Yes, this has never been in dispute. The question is only whether these video signals can be used on the *sync* lines of the switchers
I was not clear on whether it was or was not in dispute so I figured I would post that to clear it up if necessary.

I opened up that NeoGeo cable, and sure enough their is a little circuit board in the DE15 head. Looks like I got a free stripper. I just assumed I wouldn't receive anything free. They charge extra for a stripped cable. This is like the time I ordered 'Punch Out! with Mr Dream' and received 'Mike Tyson's Punch Out!' instead. Sorry.

So I have no way of testing this. I have plenty of shitty SCART cables, but no way to get them in to my switchers without passing through a stripper. If you can come up with a way to test, I will try.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

SCARTicus wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
I was not clear on whether it was or was not in dispute so I figured I would post that to clear it up if necessary.

I opened up that NeoGeo cable, and sure enough their is a little circuit board in the DE15 head. Looks like I got a free stripper. I just assumed I wouldn't receive anything free. They charge extra for a stripped cable. This is like the time I ordered 'Punch Out! with Mr Dream' and received 'Mike Tyson's Punch Out!' instead. Sorry.

So I have no way of testing this. I have plenty of shitty SCART cables, but no way to get them in to my switchers without passing through a stripper. If you can come up with a way to test, I will try.
You're good, I appreciate you checking that cable so we can put that issue to bed at least.

I can test the SW4 myself with luma-as-sync and the scope. Just need to get around to it
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Passing luma on the sync pin of the SW4 VGA Ars does NOT produce a valid sync waveform. If it works for you it's a miracle. I would not advise anyone to do this.

Here's a scope plot of luma passing through the switch on the "green" line:

******************************************************************************************

And here it is being fed through H. Sync.: