Stop ragging on SCART!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Sumez

Re: Stop ragging on SCART!

Post by Sumez »

matt wrote: Most consoles were designed to power an RF modulator through the AV port, which takes significantly more power than a sync stripper. So it ought to be OK. Not sure what your problem with the PCE would have been.
Hmm, I should look into it. I got a few ICs left for sync stripping, so it shouldn't be a problem just putting it in there if I make some cables for some of my consoles. We'll see how it turns out...
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

matt wrote:Most consoles were designed to power an RF modulator through the AV port, which takes significantly more power than a sync stripper. So it ought to be OK. Not sure what your problem with the PCE would have been.
Are they? Both the NES/SNES and Genesis/Megadrive are not, they both have separate RCA jacks for RF-out and don't use an RF modulator via the AV port.
matt

Post by matt »

The Genesis 2 was the first US console without a built-in RF modulator, which I guess would leave the Genesis 1, original model SNES, and SMS as the only US consoles that had both RGB output and RF.
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

maxtherabbit wrote:This. 100%

FUCK COMPOSITE VIDEO AND ALL ITS ILK
Agreed. If I could go back in time to 1953 when the NTSC composite video color system was finalizing development, I'd tell them to scrap it and stick with the YPbPr color system for TV broadcasting instead. Sure, it'd require doubling/tripling the bandwidth of analog television (and perhaps adjusting existing black & white sets to accept the new broadcast band), but it'd be worth it for all the headaches it would've saved. At least that way the black & white TVs would still be compatible with a TV channel's Y signal (with tuner adjustments). The existence of "composhite" video has caused me so many headaches that I don't even want to talk about it.