shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 8:27 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: LS-56 love
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:45 am 

Just a PSA for stick users as I'm pretty ecstatic right now.

Finally threw a stick into my Fighting Edge that I had long educated-guessed that I wouldn't like. Man did that turn out ironically - this is the best stick I have ever used, I doubt it will be replaced, and I think it can be used for any genre: none of this "good for shmups, too stiff for fighters" stuff.

The spring is NOT as stiff as advertised. I could actually handle a bit more tension comfortably; it feels - to me - a lot like an LS-32 which we know is quite commonly liked and not overly stiff. Actually, it's basically like a 32 without the weird stubby shaft length (it's normal length, JLF-like) or the damn pivot issue. A 32 perfected. Something I would always have loved but didn't know existed.

I have the Kowal short-throw kit on mine and think it's essential. It's only 2 bucks. The stick has a really short engage but the full throw is not that short. The kit doesn't actually shorten the throw as much as I'd expected, but it does rein it in and match it better with the engage character. It's a precise, restrained action that feels great and gives you the physical control to weave through tight areas.

I really think at this point that the LS-32 keeps getting pointed to due to momentum alone. People know JLF, and they know LS-32. Anyone looking for Seimitsu automatically gets recommended the 32. And it still has its great qualities - but as far as I'm concerned the 56 is it, but better. No reason to fall back on the old standby.

So again: PSA for anyone exploring Seimitsu, or looking for a shmup stick. You're going to hear about the 32 a LOT, and not much from the relative few who've tried a 56. But I'd strongly suggest starting with the 56. Man, I'm impressed.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: LS-56 love
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:08 am 

I do own the LS-56 (modded) and i like the stick BUT i even prefer the LS-55 over the 56 or 32.

It's all a matter of preference, you really have to try them out.

For me:

55»56»modded JLF»32»

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:03 pm 

The LS-32 doesn't have octo gate options either. If that's your thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:42 pm 

Yeah, and the 56 octo is arguably a better design than the JLF one as well.

Kowal does also make a 32 round gate (in metal, interestingly enough). I haven't tried it and I'm guessing you didn't either?

Emphatic, wasn't it you that decided the New LS-32 was the ideal stick back when they did the microswitch update? Still rocking those?

Re: LS-55 - you know, I heard one other person really loving that one too. Throw is longer on it, though, right - that's why I figure 56 is more my speed - and it's got that washer pivot. Any wear issues?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:40 pm 

Never went back to LS-32 after trying LS-56. Now I'm all about JLF with oversized actuator, octagate and a 2LB spring. I love the feel of SANWA joysticks, the Seimitsu sticks feel cheap.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:46 pm 

I dunno, Sanwa is quality but the good Seimitsu sticks feel quite competitive to me. This LS-56 certainly doesn't feel cheap. :D

I'll definitely try the Kowal setup if I ever end up with another Sanwa stick. Everything in my rotation right now is either Hori or Seimitsu though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:06 am 

I have a set of LS-56 on my impress. Love them for fighters but diagonals seem stiff compared to other sticks.

Any suggestions for changing? I will use this cabinet only for Gradius IV going forward.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:39 pm 

Interesting. I not only find all 8 directions equally smooth, I don't find the tension really that stiff despite the reputation.

I wonder if there is significant variance in the production of this spring? It's the only explanation for what I'm feeling with mine vs. the STIFF STIFF STIFF complaining I've seen in more than one place.

Do you have the octagonal gate? You could try that; it brings the diagonals closer in which might offset any stiffness.

You could try the 58 spring, which is a direct replacement and a step looser than the 56's. Or you could go to the old standby LS-32, which while flawed still plays great for shmups.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:03 pm 

I prefer the LS-62 myself. It's pretty much the same as the LS-56 only with a shorter lever. Best stick I've ever used for shmups - my scores noticeably improved after getting adjusted to it. Never going back to Sanwa ever again.

Offline Profile