Magewell USB 4K Plus or Avermedia Live Gamer 4K

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
eightbitminiboss

Re: Magewell USB 4K Plus or Avermedia Live Gamer 4K

Post by eightbitminiboss »

As someone who owned the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle in the early days of streaming. It sucked! It pretty much kept me away from ever looking at Blackmagic products for retro stuff.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

eightbitminiboss wrote:As someone who owned the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle in the early days of streaming. It sucked! It pretty much kept me away from ever looking at Blackmagic products for retro stuff.
Yeah, Blackmagic stuff is basically useless for retro gaming capture.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

I made a video comparison to clarify what I was referring to in my last comment.

https://youtu.be/3hKH6FLqnp8
Last edited by Odolwa on Sat May 15, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

Odolwa wrote:I made a video comparison to clarify what I was referring to in my last comment.

https://youtu.be/07uLh7U2MYo
Seems like the Magewell doesn't like 480i which is the core of the problem here when you're in pure menus. In the actual game it flips to 240p.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

My apologies, I had to delete and reupload the video because I forgot to include a small piece of information at the end. Here's the new link:

https://youtu.be/3hKH6FLqnp8

Come to think of it, I don't think that purple tint would go away, unless I changed the Magewell's settings from XRGB to one of the other options like YUY2 or NV12.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Odolwa wrote:Come to think of it, I don't think that purple tint would go away, unless I changed the Magewell's settings from XRGB to one of the other options like YUY2 or NV12.
That purple tint is caused by a color format mismatch. You could try to make sure that the 'Color format' setting in the 'Video' tab of USB Capture Utility V3 [1] [2] matches the 'Output opt. -> TX mode' OSSC setting. Set 'Color format' to 'RGB' if your OSSC TX mode is set to 'HDMI (RGB)' or 'DVI', set it to 'YUV BT.601' if your OSSC TX mode is set to 'HDMI (YCbCr444)'. If you uncheck the box, it should set the correct color format automatically, depending on the availability of correct InfoFrame data (the DVI standard only supports the RGB color space and no InfoFrames) - the OSSC handles this correctly. For optimal results, make sure to also use matching settings for capturing/recording, so that no (additional) color space conversion has to take place, which although not usually noticeable, is not lossless in this case. For an RGB modded N64, setting everything to RGB, including the OSSC's TX mode, would be ideal to that end. Independently from that, it's noteworthy that YUY2 / NV12 are YCbCr 4:2:2 / 4:2:0 pixel formats respectively, NV24 would be a YCbCr 4:4:4, i.e. non chroma subsampled one.

I have the Magewell USB Capture HDMI Plus (without the '4K' affix), while I don't often feed it with interlaced signals, I didn't run into problems in that case so far - it then deinterlaces the input signal. Maybe a different '480i/576i proc' setting on your OSSC could make it work?