Transcoder issues

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Teddy_Beer

Transcoder issues

Post by Teddy_Beer »

Hello.

Recently I bought a VGA ----->Composite transcoder from linuxbot3000. When I activated CRT Emudriver, the picture has all the colors messed up...

Any idea why this is happening?

Thank you
NewSchoolBoxer

Re: Transcoder issues

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

From April and no response and I felt bad. Thing is, you aren't giving enough information to work with. At least you state the transcoder is from linuxbot3000, a respected source so not the transcoder's fault.

You should mention the computer specs, the graphics card in detail, CRT Emudriver setup in detail and the monitor or television model number so we can try to find the user manual. State emulator if using one and the video game's output resolution, i.e. 800x600 progressive at 60fps, and any other configuration details that seem important. Showing pictures of the messed up colors would help too and of the setups if that saves time over typing them all out. You don't mention any squiggly lines or vertical scrolling so apparently no sync issues. Mixing up PAL and NTSC produces black and white image since they encode color information to a different range of frequencies.

Classic messed up colors scenario is video source being YPbPr and PVM being set to RGB, or the reverse. Or from plugging blue and red RCA connectors into each other's jacks. You're saying composite video though so not relevant. I could imagine a case of a vintage graphics card that can't output the resolution or color space you're forcing.

Edit: Oh yeah and composite video only supports 240p/480i or PAL equivalent so you're stuck to that. I read that the transcoder doesn't change resolution so video game and CRT Emudriver have to be in line. Set Emudriver's horizontal refresh rate as close to 15.734 kHz as possible if using NTSC display. PAL is a little different. 15.000 kHz would be too far off-spec for either.