Couple quick Genesis triple bypass install questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Couple quick Genesis triple bypass install questions

Post by bobrocks95 »

I'm doing an install on a Genesis 2 over the existing multiout pins, so:

1) Looking at the schematic, csync is only used/buffered by the 7374 so it can be fed as 75 ohm sync to the composite video pin. The output going to the csync pin (which is what my existing cable uses) is just coming straight from the wire you connect to the board. So I don't actually have to do anything with the sync line then, or connect it to the triple bypass, right? RetroRGB shows cutting the trace, but for the triple bypass on a Genesis 2... You're just feeding back the same signal you just cut the trace for, aren't you?

2) Similar question with 5V- can it pull what it needs from the multiout, or is that super low amperage intended for SCART TVs and I need to just hook the 3BP pad up to the nearest available 5V point? Again, the board connects the 5V pad straight to the multiout port, so I don't see why it would be necessary for a Genesis 2 installation.

3) Do I need to do anything to composite video to reduce noise?

EDIT: Looking at Bob's second set of Genesis 2 sample photos, that install didn't connect anything to the 5V or Sync pads so I think I'm good on that. Kind of amazed that documentation still hasn't been updated for the triple bypass, though of course the number of Genesis/MD models isn't helping.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
bobrocks95

Re: Couple quick Genesis triple bypass install questions

Post by bobrocks95 »

Wow, what a horribly documented mod that I installed today. Too bad I don't own flush cutters and none of the instructions available let me know I needed them!

Anyways I still have jailbars. Picture looks exactly the same as before installing the triple bypass.

This is in a VA1 Genesis 2. Any suggestions? Cut a subcarrier line somewhere? I didn't cut any traces to the multiout.

EDIT: Lifted the Subcarrier/SBCR pin on the VDP and that didn't do anything.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.