Looking for someone with experience Retrobrighting (colors)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TheSwartz

Looking for someone with experience Retrobrighting (colors)

Post by TheSwartz »

Hello

I am interested in retrobrighting some consoles while I'm doing some other maintenance (replace caps, fans, etc.). I am talking about the technique of submerging in Hydrogen Peroxide and then leaving under UV light overnight.

I feel like I've spent a lot of time researching this and all I ever see is people restoring plastic with various shades of white or light grey.

Do people retrobright other colors? Example, the dark grey bottom of the front loader NES? I doubt you would treat black plastic like on the black dreamcast, or an Xbox, but any experience with that? And what about odd colors, like funky colored N64s?

Thank you
I probably spend more time collecting games and tinkering with my consoles than actually playing them...
Fudoh

Re: Looking for someone with experience Retrobrighting (colo

Post by Fudoh »

I did this on a indigo gamecube case. Worked very well, has exactly the effect you want it to have and doesn't affect the plastic's native color. Most people don't seem to notice the issues in colored cases, but comparing the cube to another indigo-colored unit was showing the issues quite clearly.
TheSwartz

Post by TheSwartz »

Fudoh wrote:I did this on a indigo gamecube case. Worked very well, has exactly the effect you want it to have and doesn't affect the plastic's native color. Most people don't seem to notice the issues in colored cases, but comparing the cube to another indigo-colored unit was showing the issues quite clearly.
Interesting, because the Indigo GameCube is really dark. That encourages me to give some of these others a treatment when I set this up and see. Will report back :)
I probably spend more time collecting games and tinkering with my consoles than actually playing them...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Due to the yellow tint is was obvious. It was less of a visible darkening, but more that the indigo was just off.