Diagonal lines/interference between my Xbox and Scart Switch

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TheLimeyLemmon

Diagonal lines/interference between my Xbox and Scart Switch

Post by TheLimeyLemmon »

Problem/TLDR: Diagonal line interference when using Original Xbox with RGB SCART to CRT via a Switcher (Works fine directly, no other consoles suffering same issue with Switcher) Annotated images displaying the problem can be found HERE.

Folks I’ve just about hit my limit with this mystery and I need your help!

Basically I have an issue with what seems to be interference when using my original Xbox via a scart switcher, but ONLY an issue for the Xbox and no other console. Something is happening between Xbox, the Xbox scart cable, and the switcher that is causing them to not get along.

I’m using top quality cables, and again, I have no issues like this with my other systems. The Wii also uses a CSYNC RGB cable of the same brand, through the same switcher, no problems at all and I’ve included it among comparison images to make note of that.

I’m not sure what other issues there could be. The Switcher works fine in every other case, the xbox and the scart cable work fine connected directly to the tv, so it’s something about those two combined that is causing the problem, some kind of incompatibility that I’m not aware of.

Any help MASSIVELY appreciated, thank you.

Equipment:

TV: Sony KV-14CT1U
Console: PAL Original Xbox v1.4 (modded)
Switcher: Skytronic 128.577 (AKA Shinybow SB-5220)
Cables: RetroGamingCables ‘OG Xbox Original RGB SCART PACKAPUNCH PRO CABLE w/ CSYNC’ & ‘EuroSCART Fully shielded male to male 1.5m’

Solutions attempted:

Try Xbox cable in all available switcher inputs - No change.
Remove all other SCART cables from switcher – No change.
Use different power outlet – No change.
Replace extension lead – No change.
Replace switcher power supply – No change.
Replace switcher output cable with one with superior shielding – No change to interference but has improved clarity, ironically made diagonal lines even more obvious.
Josh128

Re: Diagonal lines/interference between my Xbox and Scart Sw

Post by Josh128 »

Problem is due to crosstalk from RGB lines to composite video/sync line or vice versa. Your Shinybow is an active switch that provides some amplification (usually 1dB) to inputs when switched to output. Its possible the signal level/levels from the Xbox are fine for direct feed to the display but are at a level that is causing some kind of crosstalk that is present, but not visible, to be amplified and thus be made visible when feeding the Shinybow. Obvious solution to try would be to try a different Xbox SCART cable.

If you dont have one, open up your XBox SCART and note if there are any capacitors in series on the RGB and sync lines and any resistors in parallel to ground from those lines. You may need to add/remove resistors or caps depending on what you find.

Also, the interference could also be caused by ground loop currents in the sheilding of your cable. Make sure the shielding is only grounded at one point and one end of the cable.

Report back with your findings.
TheLimeyLemmon

Post by TheLimeyLemmon »

I wouldn't typically bump an old topic, but since I'm OP, I wanted to for the sake of providing further context for anyone who might stumble upon this while suffering the same issue.

I have now sourced an official Microsoft Advanced RGB Scart cable for my Original Xbox and I'm happy to report that there are no issues with signal when connected to the Shinybow Matrix. There must have been something different in the construction or design of the RetroGamingCables Scart lead that made interference present when running through an amp.

Anyway to summarise, for anyone having this issue, it might be worth trying a different Xbox scart cable as your first step, if I'd done so I would have saved a lot of time and money.

A thanks to user Josh128 as well for providing the prompt and informative reply when I first posted this.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

TheLimeyLemmon wrote:I wouldn't typically bump an old topic, but since I'm OP, I wanted to for the sake of providing further context for anyone who might stumble upon this while suffering the same issue.

I have now sourced an official Microsoft Advanced RGB Scart cable for my Original Xbox and I'm happy to report that there are no issues with signal when connected to the Shinybow Matrix. There must have been something different in the construction or design of the RetroGamingCables Scart lead that made interference present when running through an amp.

Anyway to summarise, for anyone having this issue, it might be worth trying a different Xbox scart cable as your first step, if I'd done so I would have saved a lot of time and money.

A thanks to user Josh128 as well for providing the prompt and informative reply when I first posted this.
I'm glad you got it worked out. I have that same Shinybow matrix switch and I love it, so I was hoping it wouldn't end up being the culprit. :lol:
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

TheLimeyLemmon wrote:
I have now sourced an official Microsoft Advanced RGB Scart cable for my Original Xbox and I'm happy to report that there are no issues with signal when connected to the Shinybow Matrix.

Awesome and you're welcome! Its strange indeed, but certain cables or switches sometimes just dont play well with a given setup, and a different cable cable or switch can often fix you right up.