Ferrite Beads on video cables, when are they useful?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gara

Ferrite Beads on video cables, when are they useful?

Post by Gara »

Do Ferrite beads on analog video cables have any benefits or disadvantages? Why are they on so many officially released cables?
Spoiler
They are on a lot of official RGB Scart cables for various systems that have Ferrite beads. I've also seen them on various Extron BNC cables, but only their "Mini High Resolution" line. The thicker "Super High Resolution" stuff doesn't have them. Would that indicate the filtering a Ferrite core is supposed to provide is only useful on cables with less shielding?

I'm really curious to hear peoples thoughts on this.
maxtherabbit

Re: Ferrite Beads on video cables, when are they useful?

Post by maxtherabbit »

Gara wrote:Do Ferrite beads on analog video cables have any benefits or disadvantages? Why are they on so many officially released cables?
Spoiler
They are on a lot of official RGB Scart cables for various systems that have Ferrite beads. I've also seen them on various Extron BNC cables, but only their "Mini High Resolution" line. The thicker "Super High Resolution" stuff doesn't have them. Would that indicate the filtering a Ferrite core is supposed to provide is only useful on cables with less shielding?

I'm really curious to hear peoples thoughts on this.
They act as common mode current chokes. The serve both to reduce emissions of, and reduce susceptibility to, RFI
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I once bought a fat bag of various sized clip-on ferrite beads; I picked through ‘em and attached them to all my ‘best’/‘keeper’ cables that I use in my permanent setup. Ideally you want to thread/loop them through said clip-on cores/beads. TBH I don’t notice a particularly discernible difference, but it was a cheap impulse buy and a good... “peace of mind” of sorts haha. I’d say it is worth picking up a cheap bag of various sized ones if you ever find yourself finishing a setup you know you are gonna have assembled for a good long while. The kinda thing you buy with the remnants of an Amazon gift card or whatever
Gara

Post by Gara »

maxtherabbit wrote: They act as common mode current chokes. The serve both to reduce emissions of, and reduce susceptibility to, RFI

Yes yes, I read the Wiki. What I'm curious about is when do Ferrite beads actually benefit an analog video cable. What theoretical environment or variables did cable makers envision that they would choose to build them in to cables. Is it some kind of cargo cult thinking or do they actually have a real world benefit.

I personally see no difference in my setup by clamping or unclamping one from a video cable. If I lived in a radio station next to a cellphone tower then would that be different result? It's a long shot, but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone here has any theories or experiences to share.
kitty666cats wrote: I’d say it is worth picking up a cheap bag of various sized ones if you ever find yourself finishing a setup you know you are gonna have assembled for a good long while. The kinda thing you buy with the remnants of an Amazon gift card or whatever
This has been my approach. I had some, so I figured why not. I've always been curious to know if they actually do anything.

When searching through old posts there was one user here on Shmups that insisted they blurred the video signal when added.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Gara wrote: I personally see no difference in my setup by clamping or unclamping one from a video cable. If I lived in a radio station next to a cellphone tower then would that be different result?
Yes. That's the only time they would benefit you. The main reason that manufacturers install them is for FCC compliance with respect to RF emissions. That doesn't benefit you as the user, but theoretically may benefit those around you trying to work weak signal radio contacts.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Clip on ferrite cores don't really work. Waste of money.

For a ferrite core to be effective you need one that is an unbroken ring, and your wires need to loop around that at least once. (3x more effective)

Anything else is snake oil.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Did someone say beads....

Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Syntax wrote:Clip on ferrite cores don't really work. Waste of money.

For a ferrite core to be effective you need one that is an unbroken ring, and your wires need to loop around that at least once. (3x more effective)

I believe it was Panasonic plasmas that used to bundle clip on ferrite beads for the power cables.

In my previous apartment I had an issue where every time the fridge would start the TV signal would drop out. I made a loop on the coax cable and clipped the ferrite bead on and it helped a lot. Almost completely eliminated the problem to the point where it was just a brief hick-up.

I later realized that I could get fully shielded plugs for the coax. That of course did fix it, without the ferrite bead. But they do work to some extend.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

^
Samsung plasmas also have ferrite cores on the power cables.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

It was probably Samsung then. I’ve had both :)
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

A while back I had a cheap car dash cam that introduced audible noise to the radio. A clip on ferrite bead at either end of the power cable reduced this noise significantly. I'm sure the type of installation you suggest is better, but "anything else" may still be of benefit in certain scenarios (in my case a cheap, easy and effective fix).
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Konsolkongen wrote:

I believe it was Panasonic plasmas that used to bundle clip on ferrite beads for the power cables.

In my previous apartment I had an issue where every time the fridge would start the TV signal would drop out. I made a loop on the coax cable and clipped the ferrite bead on and it helped a lot. Almost completely eliminated the problem to the point where it was just a brief hick-up.

I later realized that I could get fully shielded plugs for the coax. That of course did fix it, without the ferrite bead. But they do work to some extend.

My old 480p Panny plasma also, and came with extra ferrite beads for connections. Can't speak to their effectiveness but I haven't noticed any interference while using them.