Any Digital to VGA that support 130khz ?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
atohmdiy

Any Digital to VGA that support 130khz ?

Post by atohmdiy »

Hello,

Just curious about that, i found a vision master pro 454 i should get soon. It supports up to 130khz so i could try the 1920 x 1440 @ 85hz with it. Apparently the problem is to find a compatible hdmi or displayport to vga if you want to connect a modern pc. I am not even sure most of these adapter can go to more than 1600 x 1200 at unknow the refresh rate, could be stuck to 60hz. And there is other crt that support 140khz+...
I made some research but don't find anything.
I don't even know if this limitation is limited to these converter. There is still some motherboard that feature vga out in their backpanel to use with apu, maybe it supports more resolution but at this res you will surely lack a of juice if you want to play something modern.

Regards
Fudoh

Re: Any Digital to VGA that support 130khz ?

Post by Fudoh »

The Delock 62967 is listed for up to 1600p60, so you might be able to get a higher refresh rate than 60Hz when running it at 1440p instead?
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

Thank you it looks good. I am very newb to these settings, but there is something i don't understand. If i take the pro 454 manual, it says

"max video bandwidth = 345mhz Dot clock"

If i use this caculator : http://myhometheater.homestead.com/band ... lator.html

It says

1920 x 1440 @85 = 352.5 mhz
As this this res is the maximum of the pro 454, we are higher than the suppose maximum.

Now about the Delock 62967 :
2560 x 1600 @60 = 368 mhz.
And in Delock website it says "• Pixel clock frequency up to 270 MHz"

I don't understand. :|
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

This isn't really the best place to ask this question, most people here aren't using CRT's to play modern PC games.

Your better of going to the FW900 thread on Hardforum and skimming the last 50 or so pages to lean about DACs.

But you need to understand 2 things

1) DP and HDMI > VGA DACs rarely have their true specifications on their website or store pages. Generally, the only way to find out how high they can go is to see what other users have achieved through trial and error.

2) DACs are never limited by horizontal frequency (kHz). That's the CRT's limitation. DACs are limited by pixel clock, measured in MHz.
matt

Post by matt »

For what it's worth, I use a $15 HDMI adapter from Walmart on my PC. On the box it's rated for 1080p at 60hz, but in practice I'm able to run it at 1600x1200x75hz or 1920x1440x60hz, which is close to the max specs for my monitor. I was pleasantly surprised.

While it's a good idea to invest in a high quality DAC like the Delock, cheaper ones can work pretty well and are a good alternative if you want something to play around with in the mean time.

I haven't had much luck with my motherboard's built in VGA out. Its output resolutions are limited and games have a ton of lag.
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

Yes obviously if i but this monitor it's mostly for 480p, a nice complement of my 20f1e, but if they can do some high res fun why not. When i try to dig this a little it seems obvious most of these dac were not equal, and some will work far better and out of spec. Problem is you cannot know what's inside... only community knowledge, and i didn't found much info. The FW900 thread seems a nice suggestion, but hell, long post forum as so boring sometimes. It's like the old timer that say to a newbie "your answer is in the thread, search a little" and the topic is 1200 pages :roll:
A community spreadsheet about what dac can do would be nice in reddit r/crtgaming
I bought the delock dac, we'll see what it can do :arrow:
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Just skim the last 50 pages or so, I didn't say read the whole thing. Lots of talk about DACs, mixed in with some other stuff you can ignore