Dreamcast - MGCD setup question - Arcade controls

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
HornheaDD

Dreamcast - MGCD setup question - Arcade controls

Post by HornheaDD »

Hello, I have a Dreamcast MGCD and it works great - except for the controls. A Dreamcast controller works 100% but I'm trying to get it to work in my arcade cabinet, a Neo25 MVS cab.

Ive seen a couple of places on the net that mention what is needed to be done to get controls on a cab to work, but I am at a loss of what it actually entails. I found this site, but the link he has to a forum for questions no longer works. I saw a couple of threads were posted in the past about it, but I dont know if the issue in them was resolved, and from what I can tell there are no real images to look at. I did see this blog that appears to be owned by a user here but it unfortunately doesn't give me enough detail to complete the process and the blog hasn't been active since 2018 :(

From what I gathered, Pins 27/28 on each side on the MGCD are wired for player action buttons, rather than ground as found on a standard JAMMA harness. I made a JAMMA edge extender with the goal of turning it into an adapter, I just don't exactly know what I need to change or where I need to rout extra wires. I've attached an image here of my extender. It's just a finger board and edge connector with pins 27/28 on both sides not connected. I'm just not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm so close to getting this up and running, the ODE I put in it works great, I did the solder bridge to remove the overlay, Ive got it (essentially) set to free play - all I need is to get the controls to respond. I can fiddle with the extra buttons later down the line, I just want to try and finish this adapter. Thank you for any help offered/given.