Retro Bits Sega Saturn Controller

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Retro Bits Sega Saturn Controller

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

I know some people will say it's not comparable to the original one (especially the trigger buttons and d-pad), but I'm mostly interested in getting nudged in the direction of wireless or not, specifically toward the "Retro-Bit Sega Saturn 2.4G M2 Blue", or "Retro-Bit Sega Saturn Pad Black" with "Mayflash SS Sega Saturn Controller Adapter omvandlare för PC". Either option amounts to 30ish USD. Any reason why I would prefer one over the other, like latency issues?

http://retro-bit.com/sega-collaboration
Kez

Re: Retro Bits Sega Saturn Controller

Post by Kez »

I have one of the wireless controllers, they look and feel pretty good.. but not quite as good as the real thing. Latency is not bad either. One ongoing issue with the wireless controllers is that the dongle seems to keep the controller "awake" as long as it is powered and in range, which means the battery dies when they are not in use. With a lot of devices, like PCs, the USB ports are always providing power even when the machine is off. So, you can use the controller once from a full charge, come back in a couple days and it's dead. Super annoying. I use mine on a MiSTer and that doesn't seem to cause the problem but it did happen to me with a PC.

There is a whole thread about them here.
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

Thanks, Kez. I have the battery problem with my 360 controller so I've gotten used to removing the batteries when not playing, or just opening the lid to the controller.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Well that isn't realistic in this case as the battery is built in to the controller.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yes, the battery issue is huge and Retro-Bit's continued glib response infuriating. I would not support them on this alone.

Have you considered an original pad with an adapter, since you mention a Mayflash adapter for the wireless? Although the build is fine on the new ones, it is true as you mentioned that the originals are still superior.

All that said, if you do decide on wireless, apparently this is a case where the Bluetooth version is faster than the 2.4G. Consider finding a setup where you can try their Bluetooth edition. Those pads also don't use dongles so - as far as I know - you can avoid the battery issue.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

So I use mine with the MiSTer and do NOT have the battery problem. Latency seems great to me and I like the D-pad.

Here are my issues with it:

1. I have to re-pair it every time I power off the MiSTer. If you do a Google search for this issue, you'll see other people have the same problem. Not sure why some do and some don't.

2. My C button tends to stick when I really get into a game. So when I press it hard and to the left or right, it gets stuck down. Not a major issue, but not as good as a real Sega pad. That being said, it could be just my one off issue, as I haven't seen this mentioned by anyone else.

Overall, I'd say for $30, not bad at all!
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

So I ordered an eight button mega drive controller that isn't wireless, as I understand it. Got it for like 10 bucks from swedish amazon, which has to be considered a steal, considering that if something costs 15$ in the US, in Sweden it usually costs 20-25$ (due to import and sale taxes, presumably).
Last edited by Eyvah_Ehyeh on Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Eyvah_Ehyeh wrote:So I ordered an eight button mega drive controller that isn't wireless, as I understand it. Got it from like 1 bucks from swedish amazon, which has to be considered a steal, considering that if something costs 15$ in the US, in Sweden it usually costs 20-25$ (due to import and sale taxes, presumably).
A Retrobit? Sounds like it might be a no name generic, otherwise that's some very lucky pricing.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

We shall see what arrives. :P

Edit: TEN bucks, not 1...

https://www.amazon.se/gp/product/B07H3Q ... UTF8&psc=1
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Oh, awesome, that should be it! The wired genesis ones are I think the cheapest in the lineup, but a good price either way.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.