Problem with Extron 8x4 HDMI DXP Matrix Switch

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nodoyuna

Problem with Extron 8x4 HDMI DXP Matrix Switch

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi

I've just bought an Extron HDMI 8x4 Matrix Switch (DXP Series) and I have a problem with it that I'm not able to resolve

I plan on using it to connect a PC, a Laptop, Bluray Player, and some consoles too on one of the outputs, what will be connected to my Sony Full HD TV at 1080p

And I'll use another output to connect some consoles and emulators in 480p mode, using a Portta HDMI to VGA device and connect this outut to my 31KHz monitor
(HDMI Output 480p > Portta Converter > VGA Matrix > 31KHz monitor)

The problem I have is that the Extron is stuck at 720p and I can't change it

Apparently, it's possible to access the Extron with a computer and change the configuration, but again, I don't know how to do it or how I need to connect the extron to my router

I hope somebody knows what to do and finally I'll be able to configure the extron to my needs

Thanks in advance
Fudoh

Re: Problem with Extron 8x4 HDMI DXP Matrix Switch

Post by Fudoh »

The HDMI (non 4K) version has a standard EDID of 720p60 in place as a default, but that's really just an EDID (just some bytes reported to your sources), so all your sources can override that as they want.

If you want to change the reported EDID, connect into the DXP using a network connection. Here you have the option to change the EDID to something like 1080p60. Just connect the DXP to the same switch or router as your PC, check the DHCP table to see which IP the DXP got, then open your browser and type in that IP address.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Thanks

How can I check that DHCP table?
svcoco

Post by svcoco »

Nodoyuna wrote:Thanks

How can I check that DHCP table?
First you need to know the IP of your router, then you can type the IP of your router in the browser, for example: 192.168.1.1.
Some routers will ask you for an user and password that sometimes is written in a sticker in the router itself. In the router administration usually there is an option to see the connected devices, there you will find the IP that the DXP got.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

I've checked the router DHCP, but the extron ip does not appear on the active connections

Any idea?

Thanks in advance
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Nodoyuna wrote:I've checked the router DHCP, but the extron ip does not appear on the active connections
I'm assuming this is like my Extron Crosspoints of a similar era (maybe a little earlier). On those, you have to change the DHCP option to be able to connect it to your network. That is only possible with a USB to Serial cable plugged into the back of the unit + Extron's Windows software for this particular model. Problem is that software isn't available to the public, you need an Extron account which I've been unable to get the 3-4 times I've tried over the years...
Last edited by Dochartaigh on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can send me a PM for the dedicated control software.