BVM20F1E and arcade resolutions. Limitations/considerations?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
emuola

BVM20F1E and arcade resolutions. Limitations/considerations?

Post by emuola »

Been planning to build a "arcade setup" with Mister and my Sony BVM20F1E using RGB via Scart, as my other retro computers already do that. I know that the Sony only can handle 15Khz stuff. But what exactly does that mean in practice? All "standard resolution" games work ok? There are some vertical resolution games that don't? I really don't care about the "newer" arcade games, I rather play those so called classics from 80's and/or (very) early nineties.

Could someone with more experience give me a short rundown regarding the planned setup vs. general game compatibility :) Highly appreciated!
Overkill

Re: BVM20F1E and arcade resolutions. Limitations/considerati

Post by Overkill »

With MiSTer you can use an VGA - 5/4 BNC cable directly to your BVM, unless you are using some Scart swith to have all consoles connected. But today with an MiSTer you can have almost 16 bit consoles working as an original machine and keep consoles on the box or shelf. There are adapters if you want to use original controllers.

Cores available for MiSTer will all work in your monitor at original resolution, horizontal or vertical. Except the ao486 (PC) core, that you will need an 31khz display, but for that you can leave the HDMI cable pluged on your LCD, or if you want it retro, get an old PC crt monitor.

I'm not sure about the Sharp x68000 core, because I don't use it, last time I try it was not very polited. But if I remember well, it was also only 31khz.

Currently with CPS1 core available I lost interest in playing the x68000 ports.

PS: only original resolution not working will be the interlaced, like 480i in Sonic 2 split screen. That's not your monitor fault, it will handle 480/576i just fine, it's because is not available on MiSter yet, and maybe will never be, as Sorgelig seems not to be worried about that.
emuola

Post by emuola »

Overkill wrote:With MiSTer you can use an VGA - 5/4 BNC cable directly to your BVM, unless you are using some Scart swith to have all consoles connected. But today with an MiSTer you can have almost 16 bit consoles working as an original machine and keep consoles on the box or shelf. There are adapters if you want to use original controllers.

Cores available for MiSTer will all work in your monitor at original resolution, horizontal or vertical. Except the ao486 (PC) core, that you will need an 31khz display, but for that you can leave the HDMI cable pluged on your LCD, or if you want it retro, get an old PC crt monitor.

I'm not sure about the Sharp x68000 core, because I don't use it, last time I try it was not very polited. But if I remember well, it was also only 31khz.

Currently with CPS1 core available I lost interest in playing the x68000 ports.

PS: only original resolution not working will be the interlaced, like 480i in Sonic 2 split screen. That's not your monitor fault, it will handle 480/576i just fine, it's because is not available on MiSter yet, and maybe will never be, as Sorgelig seems not to be worried about that.
Awesome, thank you Overkill for the information :)
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Overkill wrote: PS: only original resolution not working will be the interlaced, like 480i in Sonic 2 split screen. That's not your monitor fault, it will handle 480/576i just fine, it's because is not available on MiSter yet, and maybe will never be, as Sorgelig seems not to be worried about that.
But this only applies to Direct Video via HDMI, no? If you're using an IO Board and deactivate the scaler, interlaced output works just fine.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Not in my setup. I have IO Board and can't get 480i/576i on Genesis/Megadrive core. Direct Video on HDMI should be the same.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

I'll check this out later, but im very sure that it works. Are you using Framedoubler on a 31kHz display, by any chance? This breaks interlaced compatibility which I checked myself because I was curious how the MiSTer handled it. Turns out - it doesn't handle it at all :-)
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Alright, I had a look and Sonic 2 interlaced works. What does your setup look like?

https://ibb.co/JkmNpRb
https://ibb.co/3WkY3CW

emuola, if you want me to test anything in particular for you, that can be arranged :)
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

You're right. I just give it a try on Sonic 2 and 480i displayed fine. I play Sonic 2 often, but not multiplayer. And I remember this mode was not displayed last time I had it running. Checking Core change log, it seems Genesis/Megadrive core was updated sometime, to support interlaced modes.

That's great news, because now we can have an almost perfect machine running on MiSTer, with all benefits included.