Re: PixelFX Morph

Post by Hao »

Are there any new updatew on the Morph?

Looks like the roadmap was taken down?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

fernan1234 wrote:
1040STF wrote:Would the PixelFX Morph be able to convert a 480i signal (from scart) to 480p (vga) ? Without lag ?
The OSSC has been able to do this for many years now, and also later the Retrotink products, if paired with an HDMI to VGA dongle, all done as lagless as can be with bob deinterlace which is the fastest deinterlacing method (add black alternating lines to make it look like 15khz). The Morph will surely offer the same, with the added convenience of an analogue output so you don't need a DAC.
meaning the morph has a DAC IC inside which is fed 24 or 30 bits parallel video input from internal FPGA or so. About lag, I don't know if it will be 0 lag or a little bit more.
GamerNumber1

Post by GamerNumber1 »

Hao wrote:Are there any new updatew on the Morph?
On Twitter, they teased "Retro-FX": a adaptive polyphase scanline system with built-in shader CRT mask filters (as pushed onto the N64Digital).

Oh yeah, and there's a comparison of the scanlines working with non-integer scaling/zooming compared to most other FPGA scalers like MiSTer and RT5X:

Diopter Doctor

Post by Diopter Doctor »

Any PixelFX members here that can verify if the Full-Frame TBC part is real?..... or even possible?..... or even planned to be part of the design anymore? :?:

The guys over on DigitalFAQ say that it's not gonna be the real thing, and I'm not an engineer to know any better but they seem pretty trust worthy.

Just weighing my options here if I should invest in a Datavideo or wait for the Morph.
Thank you! :mrgreen:
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

GamerNumber1 wrote:
Hao wrote:Are there any new updatew on the Morph?
On Twitter, they teased "Retro-FX": a adaptive polyphase scanline system with built-in shader CRT mask filters (as pushed onto the N64Digital).

Oh yeah, and there's a comparison of the scanlines working with non-integer scaling/zooming compared to most other FPGA scalers like MiSTer and RT5X:
Both sides of that comparison are identical... and both sides have red/green colour fringing.
altgraph

Post by altgraph »

Jojjelito wrote:With an interest both in retro gaming and in Laserdisc I’m looking forward to this. Which audio inputs will it have - analog only, or will it support SPDIF also? It would be nice to pack LD surround, or SPDIF from PS1/2 or OG Xbox in the HDMI output!
I would also like to know which audio inputs it will have! So far I haven't found anything mentioned and the quoted question was left hanging. So let's hear it! Which audio inputs will it have?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Guspaz wrote:Both sides of that comparison are identical... and both sides have red/green colour fringing.
Identical? Pay attention to the aliasing on the left.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I have never seen any video scaler that can do non-integer upscaling on scanlined material without artifacts of some kind. Frustrating for tate rotation full screen scaling if you want both vertical and horizontal scanlines. Need higher resolution displays and faster FPGA's.

I won't use the upscaling outside of integer increments with scanlines.
We apologise for the inconvenience
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

what is this about non-integer scaling? meaning 720p to 1440p is x2 which means integer while 720 to 1080p is x1.5 which means non-integer?

how is that affecting the result as long as scaler itself can take all these inputs and outputs?

BTW, is this product using Xilinx Multi-Scaler IP?
dojima

Post by dojima »

orange808 wrote:I have never seen any video scaler that can do non-integer upscaling on scanlined material without artifacts of some kind. Frustrating for tate rotation full screen scaling if you want both vertical and horizontal scanlines. Need higher resolution displays and faster FPGA's.

Are there some artifacts caused by non-integer scaling that you find disagreeable in the sample image above?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Extrems wrote:
Guspaz wrote:Both sides of that comparison are identical... and both sides have red/green colour fringing.
Identical? Pay attention to the aliasing on the left.
Interesting, that aliasing is completely invisible on my 1080p office monitor (a shitty probably 6-bit TN panel), which I was on when I first looked at it. But it's visible on my 1440p (IPS) gaming monitor now.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

dojima wrote:
orange808 wrote:I have never seen any video scaler that can do non-integer upscaling on scanlined material without artifacts of some kind. Frustrating for tate rotation full screen scaling if you want both vertical and horizontal scanlines. Need higher resolution displays and faster FPGA's.

Are there some artifacts caused by non-integer scaling that you find disagreeable in the sample image above?
I see moire in both images. It's significantly better on the right, but it's in the image. Once I see it, I can't unsee it. It's a nice improvement and I bet lots of people would be happy with it. I prefer underscan or overscan to moire. Disagreeable is purely subjective, of course. :-)
We apologise for the inconvenience
dojima

Post by dojima »

orange808 wrote:I see moire in both images. It's significantly better on the right, but it's in the image. Once I see it, I can't unsee it. It's a nice improvement and I bet lots of people would be happy with it. I prefer underscan or overscan to moire. Disagreeable is purely subjective, of course. :-)
Ah, yeah, I can see it too if I look very carefully. Interesting.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Wonder if any of it on the right could be from jpeg compression?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
dojima

Post by dojima »

bobrocks95 wrote:Wonder if any of it on the right could be from jpeg compression?
I considered that too. I tried to get a higher quality version by replacing 'jpg' with 'png' in the URL. The resulting file is larger, but looks identical to me. Tough to say.
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

https://twitter.com/PixelFXco/status/14 ... 8770354192

Hot dog, Summer 2022 and also a new modular switch coming.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Infinity Switch is a huge surprise. I've wondered since the OSSC first came out why there wasn't some way to figure out what console you had connected. Theoretically I could never have to touch the Morph's remote again if it all works as well as it sounds like it would.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
anexanhume

Post by anexanhume »

eightbitminiboss wrote:https://twitter.com/PixelFXco/status/14 ... 8770354192

Appears as though the analog out was dropped, unless I misread.
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

anexanhume wrote:
eightbitminiboss wrote:https://twitter.com/PixelFXco/status/14 ... 8770354192

Appears as though the analog out was dropped, unless I misread.
Certainly seems like it got pushed off to the Infinity Switch I guess.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The infinity switch serves as the input to the Morph. It has no DAC and so can't get you analog output from a Morph. You'll need something like a Portta HDMI-to-YPbPr converter if you want analog from the Morph.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

They are good at naming things. To Infinity Net - and beyond!! :lol:
In seriousness though, this looks really cool, and with their track record it seems this shouldn’t dissapoint.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

so it doesn't have regular inputs like scart and component, so that I must get the new switch for them?

also, what price and features over other competitors? does it use xilinx scaler ip ?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You can use any input with the appropriate adapter.
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

Looks great. The battle for next-gen upscaler dominance is really heating up now.

Some things I'd like to know:
1. I take it the 3.5 mm jack is the analog audio input; is the TOSLINK port also an input?
2. Will it support "unusual" input resolutions like 18, 21, and 24 kHz?
3. Can it output 2560x1440?
4. How does it handle CVBS/S-Video chroma decoding? Does it do it in the FPGA, using an ADV7280, or some other video decoder IC?
5. Is the USB port only for firmware updates, or can it be used for other purposes, e.g. profile switching?
6. The doc implies both video-level and TTL-level sync are supported. Is there 75 Ohm termination on the sync inputs?
VEGETA wrote:so it doesn't have regular inputs like scart and component, so that I must get the new switch for them?
BNC-to-RCA adapters are dirt cheap, as are VGA-to-BNC cables. And I, for one, applaud them for taking a stand against SCART. :P (Seriously, though, SCART-to-BNC adapters are readily available as well.)
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

VEGETA wrote:so it doesn't have regular inputs like scart and component, so that I must get the new switch for them?

also, what price and features over other competitors? does it use xilinx scaler ip ?
The Morph will ship with RCA to BNC adapters which will make it work with component and composite out of the box. Given that many people are using video switches anyway, it’s just a matter of getting a cable to connect from the switch to the Morph BNC.

It uses all custom Pixel FX IP. Feature wise, you can get a glimpse from this article https://docs.pixelfx.co/2021_review.html

Not only will it have a good polyphase scaler, motion adaptive deinterlacer, it has very capable system software with things like it’s web interface and sophisticated profile loading/management. The smoothing filter we implemented is very nice and honestly a bit better than is typical with FPGA products. With the Infinity Switch and per console profiles it really shines. Also has an HDMI input which is useful for using our nice CRT effects with Analogue products or MiSTer. It’s hard to cover everything in a forum post. We’ll post more detailed information between now and launch.
Last edited by Woozle on Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

Sirotaca wrote:Looks great. The battle for next-gen upscaler dominance is really heating up now.

Some things I'd like to know:
1. I take it the 3.5 mm jack is the analog audio input; is the TOSLINK port also an input?
2. Will it support "unusual" input resolutions like 18, 21, and 24 kHz?
3. Can it output 2560x1440?
4. How does it handle CVBS/S-Video chroma decoding? Does it do it in the FPGA, using an ADV7280, or some other video decoder IC?
5. Is the USB port only for firmware updates, or can it be used for other purposes, e.g. profile switching?
6. The doc implies both video-level and TTL-level sync are supported. Is there 75 Ohm termination on the sync inputs?
BNC-to-RCA adapters are dirt cheap, as are VGA-to-BNC cables. And I, for one, applaud them for taking a stand against SCART. :P (Seriously, though, SCART-to-BNC adapters are readily available as well.)
1. Yes and yes
2. Still need to test those
3. 1920x1440p is around the max
4. it has a dual ADC front end, one is dedicated to cvbs/svideo
5. Firmware updates are over wifi or an SD card. Usb-c is for power and the usb-A port it to power and control the Infinity Switch.
6. It supports both 75 Ohm and TTL, it is designed properly don’t worry :)
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Power for the Infinity Switch coming straight from the Morph is so nice. I do wish the VGA port was still on the Morph but as stated VGA to BNC is a pretty common cable, at least for right now.

Hope switch input modules are priced well, I know I'll crack at some point and change my whole switch setup if I've got the Morph already.

Is image rotation still confirmed for launch Woozle, or possibly a later addition?

EDIT: Oh no, no 3.5mm audio on the VGA input module. Ouch, that would be a lot of RCA adapters to buy and hook up for me. Hopefully it can be offered in the future.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

It would be weird if the 3.5mm audio input cannot be used with any of the analogue inputs, then again unless you're using SCART it should be easy to route audio lines separately.

Woozle, would you be able to say now whether the "VGA" input port will support RGBS inputs and not just RGBHV? I asked about this back when the Morph was announced and you said it was possible but TBD at the time.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

fernan1234 wrote:It would be weird if the 3.5mm audio input cannot be used with any of the analogue inputs, then again unless you're using SCART it should be easy to route audio lines separately.
I'm sure that would be the case on the Morph's input, I meant on the Infinity Switch how each VGA input module has RCA audio inputs but no 3.5mm. I have 7 RGBS "VGA" cables and they all use 3.5mm audio connectors to an Extron switch. Ideally both could be offered but you never know the logistics of that.
GamerNumber1

Post by GamerNumber1 »

Woozle wrote:
Sirotaca wrote: 3. Can it output 2560x1440?
3. 1920x1440p is around the max
Aw man, I could have sworn a while back you said it would support the full 16:9! Did you guys hit some sort of FPGA limitation or something else that blocked it from going beyond 4:3?