PixelFX Morph

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strygo

PixelFX Morph

Post by strygo »

https://www.pixelfx.co/content/morph_roadmap.html

This looks amazing. I am most excited for the HDMI input to handle 480p upscaling.

No price info posted yet.
ZellSF

Re: PixelFX Morph

Post by ZellSF »

That seems more ambitious than I was expecting. This focus confuses me:
Film Mode (VCR/LD/DVD)

Full frame Time-Base Correction.
3D Comb Filter.
Cadence detection.
Not that I'm complaining.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

This sounds too good to be true! Buying this as soon as available.

If any of the PixelFX team members are around, could you please confirm that the VGA input will also accept RGBS 15khz? That way we don't need to touch the SHART connector at all :D

Also, will the HDMI scaling options include 1080p -> 1080i, if not on launch then at least eventually?
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

fernan1234 wrote:This sounds too good to be true! Buying this as soon as available.

If any of the PixelFX team members are around, could you please confirm that the VGA input will also accept RGBS 15khz? That way we don't need to touch the SHART connector at all :D

Also, will the HDMI scaling options include 1080p -> 1080i, if not on launch then at least eventually?
Nothing in the current architecture would prevent progressive to interlaced conversion from being implemented, I'll add it to the list of things to look into.

Right now the VGA input isn't setup for 75ohm sync, but I'll see what can be done to support it.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Will the Morph offer some basic white balance adjustments? The Dreamcast with original Sega VGA box (maybe all VGA boxes?) has a slightly too green image. This can somewhat be corrected on the OSSC. I expect the OSSC Pro will offer the same options but it would be great if the Morph did too.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Woozle wrote:Nothing in the current architecture would prevent progressive to interlaced conversion from being implemented, I'll add it to the list of things to look into.

Right now the VGA input isn't setup for 75ohm sync, but I'll see what can be done to support it.
Thanks for putting the P/I conversion on your list! As you can imagine it would be very helpful for HD CRTs, Multisyncs, etc.

And if the VGA input can still take SDTV RGBS even if only with TTL sync that'd still be a plus, since we could use an Extron interface or some other sync processor to bring the sync level up. But of course it would be ideal for the VGA input to work on its own as an alternative RGB (and even YPbPr) analogue input for those with DB15 or BNC based RGB setups and sources.
Ruprit

Post by Ruprit »

Konsolkongen wrote:Will the Morph offer some basic white balance adjustments? The Dreamcast with original Sega VGA box (maybe all VGA boxes?) has a slightly too green image. This can somewhat be corrected on the OSSC. I expect the OSSC Pro will offer the same options but it would be great if the Morph did too.

The DCDigital has color expansion and gamma adjust options, so I wouldn't be surprised if this came with similar features. If I remember correctly, the color expansion option was part of a firmware update to address the green hue.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

Ruprit wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:Will the Morph offer some basic white balance adjustments? The Dreamcast with original Sega VGA box (maybe all VGA boxes?) has a slightly too green image. This can somewhat be corrected on the OSSC. I expect the OSSC Pro will offer the same options but it would be great if the Morph did too.

The DCDigital has color expansion and gamma adjust options, so I wouldn't be surprised if this came with similar features. If I remember correctly, the color expansion option was part of a firmware update to address the green hue.
The Morph has an even more comprehensive gamma correction setup than DCDigital, with per color channel adjustments, and two gamma stages to allow for linear light processing in the scaler. I'm sure some green correction can be loaded into the table since custom tables can be loaded from an SD card or over wifi from a PC.

We might also bring over the color correction matrix module from my GBA Consolizer project, which would provide even more tuning knobs in that area.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

This is looking like the scaler for me- any info you all can share about the auto phase detection? Do you select a console like the Retrotink 5x?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Woozle wrote: The Morph has an even more comprehensive gamma correction setup than DCDigital, with per color channel adjustments, and two gamma stages to allow for linear light processing in the scaler. I'm sure some green correction can be loaded into the table since custom tables can be loaded from an SD card.

We might also bring over the color correction matrix module from my GBA Consolizer project, which would provide even more tuning knobs in that area.
Sounds good! :)
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

No FXAA?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

AFAIK, in the PC space, SMAA replaced FXAA as the post-processed anti-aliasing filter of choice. It's more computationally intensive, though.
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

Looks really good. If its support for quirky old computer formats (24.8 kHz 640x400@56.4, 18.4 kHz 720x350@50, RGsB, etc.) is as good as the OSSC's, it sounds like it'd be basically perfect for my needs.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

It's a PixelFX product though so the choice is clear :lol:

The name Morph is also really great for this product.

I imagine that for optimal phase detection the user will have to select the console-resolution profile. The OSSC Pro will also work like that, at least initially. If any scaler comes up with a way to auto select optimal settings without any user input, that would be kind of unbelievable.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

Sirotaca wrote:Looks really good. If its support for quirky old computer formats (24.8 kHz 640x400@56.4, 18.4 kHz 720x350@50, RGsB, etc.) is as good as the OSSC's, it sounds like it'd be basically perfect for my needs.
When using low lag/direct modes, it really depends on what refresh rate is accepted by your TV. The output can be triple buffered to help with compatibility.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Wow! That is one amazing feature list. Even with calling it a spiritual successor to the Framemeister, the road map is way more ambitious than expected. Day one purchase for sure.

That way we don't need to touch the SHART connector at all :D
Can we not? It has been run in to the ground. It's like the people who call Bestbuy Worstbuy and Walmart Walfart.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

We've had the cable discussion a million times. I do, however, love the idea of a video processor (and this will be a true video processor) that accepts proper TTL sync and allows me to feed signal directly to the video processor (from a pro gear switch) using HD-15/DE-15 or 5 BNC. Lots of machines do that and I appreciate it. I'm not looking forward to combining sync and attenuating to feed the Retrotink5x. I think the product looks marvelous, but that won't be fun.

@woozie
I realize I am way down the rabbit hole, here. I think some people will be using multiple units simultaneously. (Okay, maybe just me. So, it might not be worth it.) Will it be possible to select a remote control design that allows for multiple units and multiple remotes to coexist? That would also help for users that use multiple units to drive a video wall. At the very least, I would like an button or microswitch to disable remote control input.

I would also really like to feed composite and svideo over the HD15.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

Woozle wrote:
Sirotaca wrote:Looks really good. If its support for quirky old computer formats (24.8 kHz 640x400@56.4, 18.4 kHz 720x350@50, RGsB, etc.) is as good as the OSSC's, it sounds like it'd be basically perfect for my needs.
When using low lag/direct modes, it really depends on what refresh rate is accepted by your TV. The output can be triple buffered to help with compatibility.
My monitors don't care one bit, so if the Morph is fine with unusual sync rates, then that's great news.
strayan

Post by strayan »

orange808 wrote: I'm not looking forward to combining sync and attenuating to feed the Retrotink5x. I think the product looks marvelous, but that won't be fun.
This is quite easy now though?

https://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2 ... how_detail
orange808

Post by orange808 »

strayan wrote:
orange808 wrote: I'm not looking forward to combining sync and attenuating to feed the Retrotink5x. I think the product looks marvelous, but that won't be fun.
This is quite easy now though?

https://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2 ... how_detail
I don't know. I haven't used any sync combiner circuits. I appreciate the suggestion. I'll check it out.
We apologise for the inconvenience
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

This is amazing! I love that you integrated a DAC already. This might be a day one purchase for me.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Gara wrote:
That way we don't need to touch the SHART connector at all :D
Can we not? It has been run in to the ground. It's like the people who call Bestbuy Worstbuy and Walmart Walfart.
Don't forget Micro$oft.

At any rate, I agree. This is a technical forum. Stop using made up terms that can confuse people.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

ZellSF wrote:At any rate, I agree. This is a technical forum. Stop using made up terms that can confuse people.
1. Absolutely no one will get confused about what SHART means. 2. SHART is the technically correct term for SCART :D 3. This is a technical forum but not necessarily formal all the time, we can joke around. 4. At the end of the day, it's just a cable connector type, nothing more.

Back on topic, I don't see any mention of scanline options on the roadmap, but I'd bet we can assume a basic scanline filter for both 240p and most likely also 480i sources with bob for a "CRT-like" appearance. How about finer scanline settings like the hybrid and vertica/horizontal options on the OSSC?
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

fernan1234 wrote:Back on topic, I don't see any mention of scanline options on the roadmap, but I'd bet we can assume a basic scanline filter for both 240p and most likely also 480i sources with bob for a "CRT-like" appearance. How about finer scanline settings like the hybrid and vertica/horizontal options on the OSSC?
The Morph implements scanlines through modifying the interpolation kernel, so there's a lot of flexibility in that area for thickness, brightness-dependency (hybrid), and controlling the roll off from active lines to darkened lines. Custom scanline kernels can be uploaded from the SD card or wifi. The Morph supports loading the Mister filter files, so if you like those scanline effects you can use them on the Morph.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Woozle wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:Back on topic, I don't see any mention of scanline options on the roadmap, but I'd bet we can assume a basic scanline filter for both 240p and most likely also 480i sources with bob for a "CRT-like" appearance. How about finer scanline settings like the hybrid and vertica/horizontal options on the OSSC?
The Morph implements scanlines through modifying the interpolation kernel, so there's a lot of flexibility in that area for thickness, brightness-dependency (hybrid), and controlling the roll off from active lines to darkened lines. Custom scanline kernels can be uploaded from the SD card or wifi. The Morph supports loading the Mister filter files, so if you like those scanline effects you can use them on the Morph.
Would it be possible to take the 'composite blend' mode from the Genesis core too? It would be nice to apply that to consoles via RGB so you get the blend but not some of the other negatives of real composite.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Woozle wrote:The Morph implements scanlines through modifying the interpolation kernel, so there's a lot of flexibility in that area for thickness, brightness-dependency (hybrid), and controlling the roll off from active lines to darkened lines. Custom scanline kernels can be uploaded from the SD card or wifi. The Morph supports loading the Mister filter files, so if you like those scanline effects you can use them on the Morph.
Wonderful! Thanks for confirming.

Really hyped for this device. Life without CRT seems more than acceptable now.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

fernan1234 wrote: 1. Absolutely no one will get confused about what SHART means.
That's incorrect. Last time I saw SHART mentioned, I was confused about what it was, googled it and found out nothing and when I google it now I find a Twitter post, by another person confused by it.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

Gunstar wrote:
Woozle wrote:
Would it be possible to take the 'composite blend' mode from the Genesis core too? It would be nice to apply that to consoles via RGB so you get the blend but not some of the other negatives of real composite.
That should be possible, I think it's just a horizontal pixel averaging.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Woozle wrote:That should be possible, I think it's just a horizontal pixel averaging.
Excellent, that's going to be a lot of fun to play around with.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Woozle wrote:That should be possible, I think it's just a horizontal pixel averaging.
Do some implementations have some logic to determine where it needs to be applied vs averaging on the whole screen?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.