Geometry Issues 27Inch FV310 can it be fixed?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ledoeye

Geometry Issues 27Inch FV310 can it be fixed?

Post by ledoeye »

https://ibb.co/pr3WS6v

This is Megaman X Collection on the PS2 Component, planning to get S-video cause component on 240p stuff is just too sharp. As you guys can probably see in the top left and top right in this image there is something wrong with this TV, probably geometry stuff but I'm not sure, think i tried every option in the VP1 section of the service menu but nothing seems to get rid of this warping/blooming effect.

The other issue i'm having has to do with scrolling, specially noticeable in 2D games/60FPS like this one. I don't know how to explain but it's not a flat screen scrolling, like the game runs super smooth of course but the scrolling is a kind of curved effect. I do have a video, not sure if yall are gonna notice, pay close attention to the top left and top right. https://streamable.com/dpo2tf
Taiyaki

Re: Geometry Issues 27Inch FV310 can it be fixed?

Post by Taiyaki »

Upper pin cushion a few points inwards maybe?

That kind of effect of warping or rolling over a pencil effect is practically on all CRT's to some degree, and usually not fixable (I had it on all BVM/PVM's too). I find on some sets you can even spot it when the TV is off by looking at distortions in the reflections on the glass. That being said usually those distortions are away from the edges. Having it on the edge like that and to that degree I'd have to say it might be something else and fixable (I hope).

EDIT: Well if you tried every option, it's probably just innate distortion. Those are not correctable as geometrical settings or even permalloy strips do not affect them. Some TV's have it less intense but in more areas. You just seem to have it all concentrated in one area. Hopefully I'm wrong and you can fix it though. I wouldn't give up on the display unless you find one better first, cause the next one might have the same effect somewhere else. In general I favor having more distortions, even on both axis if needed, but with less intensity, it gives a more consistent distorted image if that makes any sense lol. Some people are just less sensitive to it and don't notice I think. You might also learn to not notice it with time.
ledoeye

Post by ledoeye »

Thanks a lot for the information! Yeah i guess i've done what i can the rest has to be inside but i'm not going to mess with that since i don't know much about it. Maybe if i use Test Suite 240p i might be able to fix something more especially the vertical scrolling. I only have a ps2 for now so i don't have acess to it. Imma try to find a cheap Wii so i can use the Suite.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Horizontal scrolling issues = SCOR

Vert Scrolling issues = VLIN

Your issue at the top = UPIN

Your vert scrolling you posted looks to me like its caused by the UPIN issue, so I would adjust that first before touching the other two. Dont touch the other two without a scrolling screen so you can see what difference you are making.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

ledoeye wrote:Thanks a lot for the information! Yeah i guess i've done what i can the rest has to be inside but i'm not going to mess with that since i don't know much about it. Maybe if i use Test Suite 240p i might be able to fix something more especially the vertical scrolling. I only have a ps2 for now so i don't have acess to it. Imma try to find a cheap Wii so i can use the Suite.
Believe it or not it may be something that can't be fixed inside either. I went through this when I first went back to CRT's and I'm sure the threads are still around. I even tried multiple BVM's thinking if it's the highest end models there can't possibly be present on them, and yet all had an area that rolled over a pencil like you showed us above (except it wasn't towards the edge, and it was on horizontal scrolling). On models with only one area of distortion like that it might seem more noticeable but some people have a hard time noticing it even when it's pointed out to them.

As Josh128 points out it's worth trying the upper pin cushion again just in case it's actually something fixable and not innate distortions (as well as SCOR and VLIN). Either way the TV looks pretty great otherwise in my opinion.
ledoeye

Post by ledoeye »

Thanks for the tips @Josh128! I want to mess around with it but it's pointless without the test suite right? When i get a Wii i'll test everything out and hopefully fix 'some' of the issues.

EDIT : Quick question, does the geometry change per video input?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

No it doesn't change, but you might have different horizontal positioning based on the source and connection type.

Gosh it's a pity I can't find the threads where so much about geometrical distortions were discussed in when I was trying to out various models unable to understand what those curly effects were. Was probably 6 years ago, maybe almost 7 by now. Anyway with CRT's the short of it is you can't ever really get perfect geometry. There are innate distortions built in within each tube, and on top of that often times improving geometry worsens some other aspect of the TV, even using the yoke and combining with permalloy strips and all the osd settings, it's always about compromise, and this is the case in any range of crt's.