Using a Wells Gardner D9410 Arcade Monitor for consoles

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
gatsu25

Using a Wells Gardner D9410 Arcade Monitor for consoles

Post by gatsu25 »

Recently I have acquired a Wells Gardner D9410 Flat CRT Arcade Monitor.

I would like to use it in some capacity, but I am unsure of a few things and would like to get some clarification before I get it out of storage and start building a housing for it.

The monitor is a 27" RGB tri-sync monitor. There are two ports available, one standard VGA and 10 pin PCBA connector.

Input Pinouts

Video Sync Board Schematic

There are jumpers available on the board for both Sync (Interlaced and Standard), and if I am understanding the schematic correctly, changing the resistance of the RGB lines on the PCBA input for different TTL input voltage levels.

What is the jumper for Interlaced and Standard used for? My first thought was that it was possibly upscaling a 15khz image, however, that doesn't seem likely considering the monitor syncs at 15khz. Is the interlaced option meant to run video at higher resolutions than the monitor will natively sync to?

I also have some questions about the feasibility of running consoles through the inputs.

It looks like the PCBA connector is the only input that has a pin for Composite Sync, so making a connector for this port would be the way to go for anything that is RGBs. However, The TTL Video Level for the PCBA input notes jumpers to change the resistance for 1.4VPP and 2.2VPP levels. Would this cause issues with consoles that output lover voltage over Sync? Even if was to work, some consoles output sync over composite video. Would this correctly display the image, or would the monitor prefer a clean sync signal using something like the Sync Strike?

For the VGA input, I mostly would like to use the monitor for my X68000 with a DB15 to HD15 cable. Dreamcast and Micomsoft scalers such as the XRGB2 would be other use cases via VGA. The schematic mentions that the TTL Video Level for the VGA input is "DON'T CARE". I don't see any problems with doing running these things on this monitor, but please correct me if I am missing something.

Finally, would this just be way less trouble to use the monitor with all of these different configurations and consoles and simply be worth it to purchase something like an Extron RGB Interface?

I read that the 203 Rxi models will not only take but also output RGBs, RGsB, or RGBHV signals, while also giving you features such as horizontal and vertical position controls.

I am a bit unfamiliar with Extron Equipment. Are there other models of Extrons that are comparable to the 203 Rxi? I wouldn't necessarily need three inputs, but I wouldn't want to make it difficult on myself if some of the important features were missing either.

Any help is appreciated!
Last edited by gatsu25 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoagtech

Re: Using a Wells Gardner 9410 Arcade Monitor for consoles

Post by Hoagtech »

I would reccomend an OSSC and plug a DAC into your hdmi out.

Then you could use your component, VGA, Scart consoles in 480p and 15khz in either pass through or play around with scanline intensities in 2x.

Did you wire your ac to isolation yet or is there an iso on the chassis?
Copyright 1987
gatsu25

Re: Using a Wells Gardner 9410 Arcade Monitor for consoles

Post by gatsu25 »

Hoagtech wrote:I would reccomend an OSSC and plug a DAC into your hdmi out.

Then you could use your component, VGA, Scart consoles in 480p and 15khz in either pass through or play around with scanline intensities in 2x.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have an XRGB2 Plus and XSELECT-D4 that gives me a lot of similar functionality. This setup has generally worked well, but I have had a few issues such as jittering using an SNES into a component SD TV.

One of the main reasons I was interested in the Extron RGB units was the ability to fine tune RGB signals using something more specialized.

Hoagtech wrote:Did you wire your ac to isolation yet or is there an iso on the chassis?
Very good point, and something I still need before even using it. I looked through the schematic and did not see one. I want to be sure I completely understand what I am doing, so I drew a picture of how I think it should be wired into the circuit.