NES RGB Color Palette Help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
radiomike31

NES RGB Color Palette Help

Post by radiomike31 »

I'm getting the NES RGB mod in my original front loader and was wondering if someone could clarify color palettes for me? I am told I have a choice of the standard 3 that come with the board. Or new ones can be flashed on. Specifically, the modder told me he could put the FirebrandX palettes on. Can someone explain how or where I could compare the difference between the looks of each? I want to pick the ones that appeal to me the most.
Thanks for any help!
kitty666cats

Re: NES RGB Color Palette Help

Post by kitty666cats »

radiomike31 wrote:I'm getting the NES RGB mod in my original front loader and was wondering if someone could clarify color palettes for me? I am told I have a choice of the standard 3 that come with the board. Or new ones can be flashed on. Specifically, the modder told me he could put the FirebrandX palettes on. Can someone explain how or where I could compare the difference between the looks of each? I want to pick the ones that appeal to me the most.
Thanks for any help!
I believe the NESdev Wiki has photos of the different palettes, and also you can see them in action via many of the popular NES emulators too. I definitely suggest YUV / the palette named after the Sony encoder IC - the FBX is also a solid choice.
ChuChu Flamingo

Re: NES RGB Color Palette Help

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Wavebeam is another good one and the one I use almost exclusively.

http://wavebeam.blogspot.com/2017/03/wa ... lette.html

My other two palette options are Sony CXA and Composite iirc.