MiSTer IO Board Digital/Analogue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

MiSTer IO Board Digital/Analogue

Post by Rock Man »

So I picked up a Blisster from Bliss-Box and am shopping for a cases. So far this one looks pretty godlike: https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/blisster-mister-case/

It asks for the IO Board type but when I choose it only shows one option, analogue io v5.5. So the question becomes is aforementioned case compatible with this? https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... -with-fan/

Looking at the description this reads like a later analogue board... but it's not listed as such which confused me on compatibility.

Since I'm rocking a PVM CRT, with RGB via BNC, I figured investing in the io board that uses VGA makes the most sense.
Gunstar

Re: MiSTer IO Board Digital/Analogue

Post by Gunstar »

Yeah it's compatible, it says "Analog IO v5.5 (Or Higher)" in the case drop down option so you're good to use the v6.1
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Gunstar wrote:Yeah it's compatible, it says "Analog IO v5.5 (Or Higher)" in the case drop down option so you're good to use the v6.1
Thanks a ton Gunstar! I have a payment concern I am resolving. Once that's done I'm buying this thing in full confidence!

FPGA forever

The only thing left is to grab one of those MiSTer IO Board v6.1 with the Noctua fan. On the above site they're currently on backorder. I'll scout around for a place that has them in stock now.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Rock Man wrote:The only thing left is to grab one of those MiSTer IO Board v6.1 with the Noctua fan. On the above site they're currently on backorder. I'll scout around for a place that has them in stock now.
The price difference between the two fan options on that site appears to be larger than the retail price of a Noctua NF-A4x10 5V fan, although you won't get a pre-crimped connector matching the one on the I/O board with a retail Noctua fan.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Off-topic, but is running the Noctua fan at 3.3v sane?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

ZellSF wrote:Off-topic, but is running the Noctua fan at 3.3v sane?
As long as it actually spins up, it's a must IMO. Even a Noctua at 5V is too loud on these things. But I'm on the no fan needed camp, passive cooling is more than enough.

I actually have a tiny 12V fan on the 5V line and of course it needs to be flicked to actually start spinning, which means I basically always forget about it.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Unseen wrote:
Rock Man wrote:The only thing left is to grab one of those MiSTer IO Board v6.1 with the Noctua fan. On the above site they're currently on backorder. I'll scout around for a place that has them in stock now.
The price difference between the two fan options on that site appears to be larger than the retail price of a Noctua NF-A4x10 5V fan, although you won't get a pre-crimped connector matching the one on the I/O board with a retail Noctua fan.
Hm, perhaps. Does the Noctua fan and pre-crimped connector need to be soldered? Perhaps the additional charge is for the labor. I know I'm being ridiculously charitable here, to be fair even if it's a solder job it looks like a simple one.

I haven't been able to find many of this exact board with said fan on the net. The closest I came is ebay with auctions these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mister-FPG ... Sw~Wpf527a

Even then it's unclear to me how loud any random fan gets. The reason why I even desire Noctua fan is thet thing is quiet as fuck. It's too bad misterfpga.co.uk has them on backorder, I'm seeking one that's readily available. Any website recommendations for this? Other than the ones I linked to.

Good thing the BlisSTer takes regular usb joysticks, keyboards, mouse and such in addition to the low latency inputs. I'll need to use my usb Saturn controller to play games and navigate the menu until more of these websites get more low latency cables that I need! (SNES, Neo Geo, 3DO Panasonic, SMS, etc.)