How do SNES Classic Controllers Compare to Original?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Roboplodicus

How do SNES Classic Controllers Compare to Original?

Post by Roboplodicus »

I'm emulating older consoles on the wii and I need a good controller the wii classic controller's D-Pad is too squirrely for me are they a suitable replacement or would you recommend that I just buy an adapter so I can use a real one with the Wii?
bigbadboaz

Re: How do SNES Classic Controllers Compare to Original?

Post by bigbadboaz »

I would get the adapter. The Classic controllers are quality but noticeably different than the originals. The plastic is coarser, the buttons looser and the Dpad stiffer on average. My best original controllers are easily nicer to play on than my Classic ones.

You could try the Japanese Wii SF controller, as it was made in between these two versions it might have characteristics of its own.

I also wonder if you're tried the Classic Controller Pro. It may look just like the regular classic controller but I did find the Dpad to perform better on them. Maybe just membrane lottery.. but I had a bad original Classic like you, then two Pros which both performed well. It's potentially a better all-in-one solution.. and slick looking.
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

bigbadboaz wrote: I also wonder if you're tried the Classic Controller Pro. It may look just like the regular classic controller but I did find the Dpad to perform better on them. Maybe just membrane lottery.. but I had a bad original Classic like you, then two Pros which both performed well. It's potentially a better all-in-one solution.. and slick looking.
Hmmm I wonder if the classic pro does generally have a better dpad its a shame I find that out now because I actually have torn apart multiple classic pro controllers to make hybrid N64/classic pro joystick controllers on an old project I was doing and I'm all out of classic pro controllers now :( The classic pro controller is also infinitely more ergonomic I remember I might have to get one.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

I have both. They feel "slightly" different, but are very, very close actually. Do they make adapters now? If so, just go with the new ones. They are perfectly fine.
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

I have the snes classic controller which feels great but I will say the club nintendo super famicom controller is a lot more closer to the original but like other have said,I would just get a adapter.