nesRGB confusion TTL or 75ohm C-sync with HDretrovision cabl

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
deezdrama

nesRGB confusion TTL or 75ohm C-sync with HDretrovision cabl

Post by deezdrama »

First time doing the nesRGB mod, Ive done full recap of the board and power module/ rf board, installed the nesRGB and just need to wire in the snes style AV multi-out port and Im confused getting multiple responses on this.....

Its my basic (read basic- LOL) understanding that the nesRGB board uses TTL level C-sync unless you bridge the J8 jumper on the board which would then output 75-ohm c-sync. Its also my basic understanding that TTL level C-sync can damage consumer level CRT's which is what I will be using along with a retrotink 2x pro to a modern lcd when not using it on the crt.
So Ive ordered HDretrovision snes component cables and assumed/read that these cables take the RGB /TTL level c-sync signal and with a wired in transcoder the cables will transcode the signal to be ypbpr 75-ohm C-sync and safe for my consumer CRT's and my retrotink 2x pro.

But others are saying this isnt right and I need to jump J8 and/or install the component video mod board with my nesRGB.

Now im just confused and been asking on reddit getting all sorts of conflicting info.

Can anyone clear this up?
Much appreciated!
Kez

Re: nesRGB confusion TTL or 75ohm C-sync with HDretrovision

Post by Kez »

Lots of incorrect assumptions here.
So Ive ordered HDretrovision snes component cables and assumed/read that these cables take the RGB /TTL level c-sync signal and with a wired in transcoder the cables will transcode the signal to be ypbpr 75-ohm C-sync and safe for my consumer CRT's and my retrotink 2x pro.
Check HDRetrovision's FAQ here: https://www.hdretrovision.com/faq#csync, you'll see that their cables extract sync from composite video.
Its my basic (read basic- LOL) understanding that the nesRGB board uses TTL level C-sync unless you bridge the J8 jumper on the board which would then output 75-ohm c-sync. Its also my basic understanding that TTL level C-sync can damage consumer level CRT's which is what I will be using along with a retrotink 2x pro to a modern lcd when not using it on the crt.
You are correct that TTL sync can damage equipment, however the NESRGB does not actually output true TTL sync (see Tim's post here). It is my understanding that Tim doesn't really agree with putting out straight TTL on consumer devices, so the NESRGB J8 is to increase compatibility with the available cables rather than output true TTL.

That said, the HDR cable is not expecting TTL either way. It will be looking for 75ohm sync on the composite video pin, so you should short the jumper.
deezdrama

Post by deezdrama »

Kez wrote:Lots of incorrect assumptions here.
Check HDRetrovision's FAQ here: https://www.hdretrovision.com/faq#csync, you'll see that their cables extract sync from composite video.
You are correct that TTL sync can damage equipment, however the NESRGB does not actually output true TTL sync (see Tim's post here). It is my understanding that Tim doesn't really agree with putting out straight TTL on consumer devices, so the NESRGB J8 is to increase compatibility with the available cables rather than output true TTL.

That said, the HDR cable is not expecting TTL either way. It will be looking for 75ohm sync on the composite video pin, so you should short the jumper.
Thanks... I dont know why I missed that the HDretro cables were sync on composite video.
I soldered all available contacts to the av multi out port and the nesrgb mod is working fine with the hdretrovision cables although once every min or so ill see a line artifact on the screen just a few pixels width run across the screen horizontaly, Its barely noticeable but not sure if its in the cables or what. Ive noticed the 7805 is getting pretty hot. This is without trying the everdrive yet which ive read can heat up the 7805 regulator even more.

Anyway, Ill be taking this back apart to install expansion audio once the pcb's get here, should I indeed solder j8 closed or not worry about it since the cable I use is sync on composite video?
Kez

Post by Kez »

deezdrama wrote:Thanks... I dont know why I missed that the HDretro cables were sync on composite video.
I soldered all available contacts to the av multi out port and the nesrgb mod is working fine with the hdretrovision cables although once every min or so ill see a line artifact on the screen just a few pixels width run across the screen horizontaly, Its barely noticeable but not sure if its in the cables or what. Ive noticed the 7805 is getting pretty hot. This is without trying the everdrive yet which ive read can heat up the 7805 regulator even more.

Anyway, Ill be taking this back apart to install expansion audio once the pcb's get here, should I indeed solder j8 closed or not worry about it since the cable I use is sync on composite video?
Personally I would solder it closed if I was going back in there anyway. Doesn't the kit come with a new power regulator to prevent the original one overheating?