Tony Hax: PS1 soft mod for region free and backups

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BazookaBen

Tony Hax: PS1 soft mod for region free and backups

Post by BazookaBen »

I guess this hasn't been discussed yet?

A save exploit was discovered for the Tony Hawk games that allows any region and backup games to play on most PS1's and many early PS2's

https://youtu.be/8b5UX5xd-lE

https://orca.pet/tonyhax/

The disc spins down and everything, like you're playing a multi-disc game. One of the biggest deals, for me, is that it doesn't screw up games with redbook audio like many of the other methods.

Now the list of exploitable games is growing, I'm gonna run out and buy a Crash Bandicoot game for it. EDIT: Went with Cool Boarders 4 instead. $5 shipped

So now I'll be able to play Gradius Gaiden, Dodonpachi, etc. on my PSOne.
Last edited by BazookaBen on Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fernan1234

Re: Tony Hax: PS1 soft mod for region free and backups

Post by fernan1234 »

With so many options to run PS1 games from CD-R or SD cards this may feel like more of a fun novelty, but it's pretty cool and can be an important option to at least fall back on when others fail.

Shame that it doesn't work on any NTSC-J console.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

fernan1234 wrote:With so many options to run PS1 games from CD-R or SD cards this may feel like more of a fun novelty
So say you have a CD-R or import that uses Redbook audio. Are there any other methods, besides hardware mods, that will allow the soundtrack to playback correctly from beginning to end of the game?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

BazookaBen wrote:So say you have a CD-R or import that uses Redbook audio. Are there any other methods, besides hardware mods, that will allow the soundtrack to playback correctly from beginning to end of the game?
I don't think I've encountered this problem as I use an X-Station and had a PSIO for a long time before, but yeah if you exclude the hardware mods that have been available for years now including very cheap mod chip options then this is probably the only way, yeah.

Not trying to discount the usefulness of it, like I said before. But I don't think it would be the go-to solution for most people. And for me personally, owning only NTSC-J consoles, it is unfortunately not even an option.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I personally think it's cool as heck but then again I often do things for the sake of doing them.

I'll be "playing" some Coolboarders 4 in the near future.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Really cool if not a little inconvenient! I tried it with a freshly burned copy of Castlevania Chronicles and it worked great. Until I have an xstation or another ode in the future this will work just fine for me.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Just tried it on my PAL PS1 with two (original) NTSC-J games. Worked perfectly. Not directly related to the hack but I had trouble copying files to the PS1 memory card with uLaunchELF, had to replace the 4.43 version with the 4.42.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

fernan1234 wrote:
BazookaBen wrote:So say you have a CD-R or import that uses Redbook audio. Are there any other methods, besides hardware mods, that will allow the soundtrack to playback correctly from beginning to end of the game?
I don't think I've encountered this problem as I use an X-Station and had a PSIO for a long time before, but yeah if you exclude the hardware mods that have been available for years now including very cheap mod chip options then this is probably the only way, yeah.

Not trying to discount the usefulness of it, like I said before. But I don't think it would be the go-to solution for most people. And for me personally, owning only NTSC-J consoles, it is unfortunately not even an option.
I came across this yesterday, might be of interest to you: https://willsconsolemodifications.co.uk ... t_bios.php I have an NTSC-J machine that I'm thinking of doing a replacement BIOS swap to, just need to check if it's using a 32-pin chip.
igniz

Post by igniz »

This has just been done one better, if you happen to have a PS2 from the 5000x model and up:

https://github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn

The PS2 disc drive mechacon was recently cracked. This is a tool you can use to flash the firmware on it to make it think it's a developer debug unit. This allows you to run retail imports, and PS1 backups most significantly. There is a way to run PS2 backups as well by burning the PS2 ISO as a "master disc" but there's not a lot of info yet floating around on how to do that, there is a patcher tool that people seem to have mixed reports on. Regardless, the PS1 functionality and region unlocking are the real killer apps here, particularly since disc based piracy is kind of the last resort for PS2 titles. It takes all of 5 minutes to install and then you can burn PS1 games to your heart's content, no more disc swapping or etc.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

iirc I don't have to do that with any PS1 discs on my PS2 with freemcboot?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

igniz wrote:This has just been done one better, if you happen to have a PS2 from the 5000x model and up:

https://github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn

The PS2 disc drive mechacon was recently cracked. This is a tool you can use to flash the firmware on it to make it think it's a developer debug unit. This allows you to run retail imports, and PS1 backups most significantly. There is a way to run PS2 backups as well by burning the PS2 ISO as a "master disc" but there's not a lot of info yet floating around on how to do that, there is a patcher tool that people seem to have mixed reports on. Regardless, the PS1 functionality and region unlocking are the real killer apps here, particularly since disc based piracy is kind of the last resort for PS2 titles. It takes all of 5 minutes to install and then you can burn PS1 games to your heart's content, no more disc swapping or etc.

OK now this is huge! An exploit that you only have to run one time and then forget about it is beautiful.
Lux

Post by Lux »

I tested MechaPwn too (with original copies, I have no backups). I noticed that the USA region seemed to be the only one that could play everything (PAL + NTSC-U + NTSC-J PS1/PS2). Only problem I have with it is that PAL PS1 games are off-center vertically.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I tried MechaPwn too in my 50004 (PAL) console. I was hoping that changing the region would allow me to play US and JAP PS1 games at correct speed. It's 59.41Hz on a PAL console according to the OSSC. There are workaround to get the right refresh rate, but it involves launching a series of applications before booting the game making it very annoying.

My PS2 has a DMS4 Pro chip so that may or may not have caused this to not work correctly. It did flash to US region just fine, both retail and developer, and my US games booted fine when I disabled the modchip. Unfortunately the games still run at 59.41Hz. If anyone with an unmodified PAL console and OSSC tries this please let me know if it works for you, I will then consider removing the modchip.

Warning: I was unable to get an image when launching the file manager from FMCB v1.966, which is the only version that works after you have changed region with MechaPwn. You may have to use another method of launching applications. I used the ToxicOS app launcher on my modchip. This problem may also be caused by the chip itself being present, but please check that you are able to run the file manager from v1.966 before flashing if that's your only way to run apps.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Konsolkongen wrote:Warning: I was unable to get an image when launching the file manager from FMCB v1.966, which is the only version that works after you have changed region with MechaPwn. You may have to use another method of launching applications. I used the ToxicOS app launcher on my modchip. This problem may also be caused by the chip itself being present, but please check that you are able to run the file manager from v1.966 before flashing if that's your only way to run apps.
By file manager do you mean uLaunchELF? That'd be pretty unfortunate if it stops working as that's the easiest way to remove or change the patch in the first place. Could be that something is wrong just with that particular version or file for the file manager app, and just need to replace it (which again is ironically easier with the app itself).
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Yes I mean uLaunchELF. Using ToxicOS I can boot it just fine from that same memory card so it must be an issue with FMCB somehow.

OSSC does say that it's receiving a 50.00Hz signal, but the screen is just black. It's not unlikely that it's a PAL PS2 specific issue. I wish I could just convert it to a true NTSC console :D

EDIT: I did of course try to enable and disable all PS1 and PS2 video corrections available in the modchip.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Only FMCB problem I had with the PAL PS2 (with no modchip) I used for my testing was when I was in Japan region and wanted to go back to USA. FMCB wasn't launching (stuck on logo screen) so I did a new install on another memory card using the cross-region option and it worked.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

That’s great to hear. Maybe it is a modchip issue then? :)

What model PAL PS2 do you have and if you have an OSSC would you mind checking the refresh rate for US/JAP PS1 games when you have time?
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Konsolkongen wrote: Warning: I was unable to get an image when launching the file manager from FMCB v1.966, which is the only version that works after you have changed region with MechaPwn. You may have to use another method of launching applications. I used the ToxicOS app launcher on my modchip. This problem may also be caused by the chip itself being present, but please check that you are able to run the file manager from v1.966 before flashing if that's your only way to run apps.
It sounds like you've already tried this or know it won't work but I read someone got past black screens with v.1965, something about having to use that version if they had a chip installed?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Gunstar wrote: It sounds like you've already tried this or know it won't work but I read someone got past black screens with v.1965, something about having to use that version if they had a chip installed?
If you can find me a link to v1.965 I can try it. The link on PSX-scene is dead.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Konsolkongen wrote:That’s great to hear. Maybe it is a modchip issue then? :)

What model PAL PS2 do you have and if you have an OSSC would you mind checking the refresh rate for US/JAP PS1 games when you have time?
59,82Hz during gameplay on 263p with both Saga Frontier (NTSC-U) and Klonoa : Door to Phantomile (NTSC-J) with component. PS2 is a SCPH-77004.
Konsolkongen wrote:
Gunstar wrote: It sounds like you've already tried this or know it won't work but I read someone got past black screens with v.1965, something about having to use that version if they had a chip installed?
If you can find me a link to v1.965 I can try it. The link on PSX-scene is dead.
Here maybe ?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Lux wrote:

59,82Hz during gameplay on 263p with both Saga Frontier (NTSC-U) and Klonoa : Door to Phantomile (NTSC-J) with component. PS2 is a SCPH-77004.
Great! That might not work on older consoles though :) I also have some spare unmodified fat PS2s in the basement but I think they might be too old for this mod.
Here maybe ?
Thank you I'll give that a try :)
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Thanks, Lux.

Two versions of v1.965 can also be found here (hit the 'noobie for modchips' tab) just in case
Lux

Post by Lux »

This tool solves the off-centering of PAL PS1 games on MechaPwn USA by making them run at 50Hz :

https://sites.google.com/view/ysai187/home/projects/ps1vmodeneg
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

My unmodified PS2 in the basement is too old for this mod.

With DMS4 Pro my PS2 won't boot US PS1 games in 60Hz unless I use the option on the chip to force this mode. So it does look like the modchip is preventing the region change from working properly. Very tempted to remove it now to see if it makes a difference :D
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Do PAL PS2s run PS1 NTSC games at 59.20Hz like PAL PS1s or at the correct 59.94Hz?
Lux

Post by Lux »

Here's what I got yesterday. 59,94Hz only showed up with the Playstation logo.
Lux wrote:

Last edited by Lux on Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Einzelherz wrote:iirc I don't have to do that with any PS1 discs on my PS2 with freemcboot?
I thought FreeMcBoot couldn't run burned PS1 CD-R?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

FinalBaton wrote:
Einzelherz wrote:iirc I don't have to do that with any PS1 discs on my PS2 with freemcboot?
I thought FreeMcBoot couldn't run burned PS1 CD-R?
It can't. Maybe Einzelherz is thinking of the popstarter emulator.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Lux wrote:Here's what I got yesterday. 59,94Hz only showed up with the Playstation logo.
Lux wrote:

Thanks. 59.82 is better, at least. Can't understand why the logo is at 59.94 though.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Thanks. 59.82 is better, at least. Can't understand why the logo is at 59.94 though.
Sounds like the console is still in PS2 mode while that logo is displayed.