Tony Hax: PS1 soft mod for region free and backups

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Einzelherz

Re: Tony Hax: PS1 soft mod for region free and backups

Post by Einzelherz »

fernan1234 wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:
Einzelherz wrote:iirc I don't have to do that with any PS1 discs on my PS2 with freemcboot?
I thought FreeMcBoot couldn't run burned PS1 CD-R?
It can't. Maybe Einzelherz is thinking of the popstarter emulator.
It was a long time ago but I'm 99% sure I set it up so that when I boot and hold X it will run a PSX CD-r. Lemme try to test and see wtf I'm remembering.

edit: okay it was the PSX Launcher app for FreeMcBoot. It's still a disc swap method. Apologies for my old man brain.
Last edited by Einzelherz on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kez

Post by Kez »

NTSC PS1 vertical refresh is 59.82hz for 240p and 59.94hz for 480i.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

That'd explain it all.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Speaking of refresh rates, I'm getting 59,27Hz on my PAL PS1 with NTSC games via Tonyhax.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Yeah, that's the matter, that you can't run NTSC games on PAL PS1s at the original vertical refresh even with a mod chip. The MechaPwn thing has twice the value in PAL land (we need a dedicated thread). Sadly, you need to region-patch every NTSC ISO if you happen to have a 5000x or 7000x model.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Would Tonyhax on PS2 give me the correct refresh rate ? I happen to have an NTSC-U FAT 30000 something which is reported to be compatible (though I do not have any of the required NTSC exploitable games for now). 3XXXX means no MechaPwn and I'd rather use a FAT to play PS1 on a PS2, not the other PS2s I have which are compatible but slim models.

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

It should much like MechaPwn. The odd vertical refresh is a design feature of PAL PS1s.

What's the issue with PS1 games on slim PS2s?
Lux

Post by Lux »

The slims went full emulation for their PS1 playback, if I'm not mistaken.

Just got Cool Boarders 4 NTSC at a local game shop and launched Tonyhax with it on my SCPH-30001 NTSC-U FAT PS2, no issue. Out of curiosity I tried launching a PAL game but got the same problem as with MechaPwn (image is off-center).

Refresh rate was indeed 59,82Hz.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Only 7500x and later emulated the CPU, earlier models were like fat PS2s (though these force you to region-patch the PS1 games with PAL systems and MechaPwn, sadly).
Lux

Post by Lux »

Ah alright ! I thought it was more clear-cut. I found this page which seems to explain it well.

In any case, very happy with all these softmods :) Not being able to properly run PAL games in 60Hz being my only gripe. I wonder if it's possible with backups on PS Vita and PS3.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Tonyhax has been updated to run along with FreePSXBoot which is a mem card only exploit. I think right now when you use that it semi-permanently uses up a mem card, but hopefully that'll get smoothed out in the future.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Einzelherz wrote:Tonyhax has been updated to run along with FreePSXBoot which is a mem card only exploit. I think right now when you use that it semi-permanently uses up a mem card, but hopefully that'll get smoothed out in the future.
Badass.

Looks like it only works in mem slot 1 though, so you'll have to swap cards if you're playing a game that only saves on slot 1. I'll probably keep using the disc based exploit for now.
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Yeah, that's the matter, that you can't run NTSC games on PAL PS1s at the original vertical refresh even with a mod chip. The MechaPwn thing has twice the value in PAL land (we need a dedicated thread). Sadly, you need to region-patch every NTSC ISO if you happen to have a 5000x or 7000x model.
?! so this does this incorrecte NTSC Framerate also apply to an xstation mod on a pal system right? I have a SCPH-5502....
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Latest version of TonyHax can switch between PAL and NTSC, not sure who's use case this applies to though. Lots of people using lots of different hacks and mods in this thread
Kez

Post by Kez »

RuffNEC wrote:?! so this does this incorrecte NTSC Framerate also apply to an xstation mod on a pal system right? I have a SCPH-5502....
Yes. These are the refresh rates of the PS1 depending on region and video mode [Link].

Code: Select all

NTSC mode on NTSC video clock
Interlaced:     59.940 Hz
Non-interlaced: 59.826 Hz

PAL mode on PAL video clock
Interlaced:     50.000 Hz
Non-interlaced: 49.761 Hz

NTSC mode on PAL video clock
Interlaced:     59.393 Hz
Non-interlaced: 59.280 Hz

PAL mode on NTSC video clock
Interlaced:     50.460 Hz
Non-interlaced: 50.219 Hz
So you will be running at 59.280 Hz most of the time, which is about 1% slower than NTSC. You can resolve it with a DFO mod (there is one built into PSDigital also).. but it's not a huge deal in most cases.
Lux

Post by Lux »

The best news is that it's now possible to play Tetris with Card Captor Sakura. That sells it to me.

On a more serious not, I just had a look at FreePSXBoot, what do you think could be possible on PS1 thanks to this ?
BazookaBen wrote:Lots of people using lots of different hacks and mods in this thread
I guess it's time for a new name :D
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

Kez wrote: but it's not a huge deal in most cases.
thanks but it's cool to know or rather uncool :D but I don't think Id notice 1% in speed difference...
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

The problem for me was when I used a Framemeister. These very minor differences in speed somehow caused the screen to be much brighter and it would stutter noticeably. The screen didn't brighten on the older FM firmwares, so I have no idea what that was about.

Through the OSSC and my LG OLED the image is perfect and with no stuttering, so it's not a huge deal for me anymore :)
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

Konsolkongen wrote:The problem for me was when I used a Framemeister. These very minor differences in speed somehow caused the screen to be much brighter and it would stutter noticeably. The screen didn't brighten on the older FM firmwares, so I have no idea what that was about.

Through the OSSC and my LG OLED the image is perfect and with no stuttering, so it's not a huge deal for me anymore :)
you mean in videos or also ingame? an OLED could activate motionsmoothing on top ?!
Lux

Post by Lux »

Not directly Tonyhax but I found out using FreePSXBoot with Unirom that you can run PAL PS1 games on a PAL PS1 in NTSC mode, without the image being off-center (what I got trying the same thing with MechaPwn and Tonyhax on a PS2). Chose "PAL :arrow: NTSC" when booting a game. Sure I encoutered some glitches, including a full blown crash on Klonoa, but if you hate those black borders, this is neat.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

On ps2 use Video Mode Negator.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps1vm ... 193.25050/

Oh I just realised your stretching pal to pal60.
This won't do that, just plays ps1 games at their correct speed and refresh
Lux

Post by Lux »

Yes, my goal was to check if I could get the advantages of NTSC with PAL games while keeping the thing playable. PS1VModeNeg is a good tool though, like if you're on USA region on MechaPwn and still want to play your PAL PS1 games on your PS2 (I mentioned it on the first page :wink: ).
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

Lux wrote:Not directly Tonyhax but I found out using FreePSXBoot with Unirom that you can run PAL PS1 games on a PAL PS1 in NTSC mode, without the image being off-center (what I got trying the same thing with MechaPwn and Tonyhax on a PS2). Chose "PAL :arrow: NTSC" when booting a game. Sure I encoutered some glitches, including a full blown crash on Klonoa, but if you hate those black borders, this is neat.
so what if you have a Xstation installed on a PAL PS1 and want to run that way NTSC correctly in 59.82hz instead of 59.28hz would this tool also work?

Syntax wrote:On ps2 use Video Mode Negator.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps1vm ... 193.25050/

Oh I just realised your stretching pal to pal60.
This won't do that, just plays ps1 games at their correct speed and refresh
does this also works for the PAL Region to run NTSC? I've read people are having problems that way
Paranoid_Andy

Post by Paranoid_Andy »

So just to clarify.

Tony Hax will allow a NTSC-U PS1 console to run original authentic PAL games with this exploit?

I have some not backup, but original PAL PS1 games I'd like to play but a mod chip I purchased and installed to do this isn't working and this exploit sounds like a great alternative but I wanted to see if anybody has tested this.

Thanks!
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I played a burned PAL game, I'm sure a legit one would work as well.

Your TV or monitor needs to support 50hz though
Paranoid_Andy

Post by Paranoid_Andy »

Good to know, thank you BazookaBen. I'm gonna try a few different workarounds to hopefully get the game to work on my SD CRT so we'll see.