NEC pc-fx universal drop in PSU

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
unstablewarpfield

NEC pc-fx universal drop in PSU

Post by unstablewarpfield »

Hi,

Being a European on 230V I decided to start a project for my pc-fx. Using a couple of pcb power modules I made a drop-in power supply to run the console on 230V. Nothing special. A 5V and 9V AC/DC convertor with 2 3A load switches and some filtering. A cable gland for strain relief was used in place of the original one. It looks stock and requires no drilling.

I'll open source the gerber files soon.

Edit: This psu should work on all mains voltages around the world.

Last edited by unstablewarpfield on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fernan1234

Re: NEC pc-fx universal drop in PSU

Post by fernan1234 »

Very polished, stock-like quality! Awesome to see love shown to this often neglected and even more often mischaracterized system (the idea that it only has weird japanese adult games, etc.)

So this specifically takes 230V only? Would a similar design work for a universal 100V-240V PSU? I think a lot of preservation of old hardware will benefit from custom universal PSUs and connectors that can be hooked up to any regional cable as needed. Anyway, work like this is a good step in that direction.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

I want one! :D
unstablewarpfield

Post by unstablewarpfield »

fernan1234 wrote:Very polished, stock-like quality! Awesome to see love shown to this often neglected and even more often mischaracterized system (the idea that it only has weird japanese adult games, etc.)

So this specifically takes 230V only? Would a similar design work for a universal 100V-240V PSU? I think a lot of preservation of old hardware will benefit from custom universal PSUs and connectors that can be hooked up to any regional cable as needed. Anyway, work like this is a good step in that direction.
This definitely works anywhere in the world! I think (by head) those AC/DC convertors are rated 80VAC-270VAC. :-)
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

When I first hooked up my NEC PC-FX to USA 120v A/C, there was a slight burnt smell coming from the console itself & eventually, it dissapated (although it has the backside sticker mentioning JPN 100v A/C input). Can it handle the extra 20v though?

I'm using the stock internal 100v psu that came with the console itself. I do recall the 1st gen PS3 console having a multi-switching psu installed from the get-go (accepts 100v-240v with no problems).

I recall when using the original PC Engine Duo-RX's 100v A/C adapter on USA 120v A/C, it'd get quite hot & eventually got a proper 3rd-party multi-switching 100v-240v A/C adapter to power it up -- the Duo-RX multi-switching A/C adapter runs cool to the touch.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_^
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:When I first hooked up my NEC PC-FX to USA 120v A/C, there was a slight burnt smell coming from the console itself & eventually, it dissapated (although it has the backside sticker mentioning JPN 100v A/C input). Can it handle the extra 20v though?
I've been using mine running on US mains for a few years now, though granted it's not a console I use very frequently. It's most likely fine. Clearly whatever was producing that burnt smell on yours is done burning away :lol:

Step down converters are an option, but I feel that those are usually a bigger point of failure than anything else, unless maybe if you have access to reliable industrial-grade stuff.
Taiji_Mods

Post by Taiji_Mods »

Wow, amazing work. Looks very professional. Do you have any spare pcb that you would be willing to sell? I’m waiting on a PC-FX from Japan and I would much prefer to use your clean looking internal PSU than step down converters.
enthusi

Post by enthusi »

Oooh,
I would be very much in 'need' of this.
I coded some for the VirtualBoy and would love to experience the PC-FX but I shy away from the 100V being in Europe/Germany.
Is it possibly to contact you?
Best wishes
Martin /enthusi (PriorArt)
fireweed

Post by fireweed »

Hi Unstablewarpfield. I am here representing the PC-FX fan club, a discord community and podcast. I was doing some research on PC-FX power supplies and found this thread. I just wanted to ask if this project was completed and have you open sourced the gerber files? I would love to know more!
petejk

Post by petejk »

unstablewarpfield wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:34 pm I'll open source the gerber files soon.
Hi,
As a fellow PC-FX owner who is worried about running it out of spec on 120v supply, I wondered if you were considering open-sourcing the gerber files for your PSU board soon?
I would love to assemble one and run my PC-FX more safely.

Thanks