x86 CPU MAME Performance Chart Updated for Zen 3... *Fixed*

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Josh128

x86 CPU MAME Performance Chart Updated for Zen 3... *Fixed*

Post by Josh128 »

I created this last year to see how the Zen 2 CPUs stacked up for emulation / MAME. My son recently upgraded from my old Ryzen 1700 to a new Ryzen 5600X so I took the opportunity to run though this suite of games on it and updated my chart. Keep in mind these are not normalized for for frequency, but all CPUs are running at stock settings w/ stock coolers here. The Zen 3 chips are a big step up in both IPC and frequency.

My previous post had a wrong % calc for the Zen 3 chip, I deleted and reposted with the correction here. Turns out it is a pretty damned impressive step up in these emulation workloads, beyond what Zen 2 over Zen 1 / + is.

spmbx

Re: x86 CPU MAME Performance Chart Updated for Zen 3... *Fix

Post by spmbx »

So basically everything newer than a 10 year old i5 cpu is overkill?
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

spmbx wrote:So basically everything newer than a 10 year old i5 cpu is overkill?
Indeed. What a waste of time. MAME exists. It is very, very old. No one cares.

Also this list is pathetic. Almost every last one of the games tested have very good ports on real consoles. You don't have to stoop to emulation to play them; a good playing experience already exists.

God will punish you for wasting his precious gift of life.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

SCARTicus wrote:
spmbx wrote:So basically everything newer than a 10 year old i5 cpu is overkill?
Indeed. What a waste of time. MAME exists. It is very, very old. No one cares.

Also this list is pathetic. Almost every last one of the games tested have very good ports on real consoles. You don't have to stoop to emulation to play them; a good playing experience already exists.

God will punish you for wasting his precious gift of life.
I wont dignify this level of asshole-ish ignorance with any meaningful response. If anyone else wants to, knock yourself out.
Last edited by Josh128 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Not at all. When using the frame delay option to eliminate lag in builds like GroovyMAME, you need the fastest CPU you can get. Depending on the game, you can easily choke even a near top of the line CPU like a 9900K when using a frame delay setting of 8 or 9. These tests were done without any added frame delay or shaders.