Sega Saturn video interference during cd drive seeking

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BazookaBen

Sega Saturn video interference during cd drive seeking

Post by BazookaBen »

So I've noticed on my two model 2 Saturns, that the video lines are picking up interference form the disc drive.

Basically, the screen brightness pulsates subtly while the drive is being accessed. I've tested this on both my homemade RGB cables, and on insurrection RGB cables.

Even worse, before I removed the capacitor and resistor that were included on the sync line in my Insurrection RGB cable, I'd completely lose sync during disc seeking

So I haven't found a lot of discussion on this, but I've seen a little discussion about the EMI filters on the video outputs?

Anybody here tried to tackle this problem?
Das Muel

Re: Sega Saturn video interference during cd drive seeking

Post by Das Muel »

I haven't attempted to tackle the problem but I have had the issue with every model 2 Saturn I've ever had (maybe the model 1 Saturn I played in the 90s was okay but I can't really remember that far back).

Funnily enough, the cheapo scart RGB cable I just bought from Amazon alleviates the problem for the most part whereas my Retrogamingcables.co.uk scart had a pretty severe issues with it. Perhaps there's an in-cable solution?
I am the geezer from the Retro Muel Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIg73A ... u89QcCBD3A
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

I had the noise on screen when accessing the disc problem on my Japanese model 2 Saturn, reseating the power supply fixed it. There's some pins on the motherboard that connect to the power supply, I guess they were not making a good connection. Later on I also replaced the power supply capacitors but in my specific case that was a waste of time, the original caps were still good.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Cool Spacemonkey I'll give that a shot soon. Might as well start with the easiest thing first and hope for the best. Maybe I'll spritz the leads with a little contact cleaner as well.

I'm really surprised at how hard it is to find people talking about this though.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Alright Spacemonkey I tried what you did, except I also sprayed some contact cleaner in the connector before hand.

And it worked, in both Saturns! For about 20 minutes!

Ok, that was weird, maybe the connector is just a piece of crap. I'll desolder that and just solder wires directly to the pins for power on the motherboard.

And it worked! For 20 minutes.... :(

So I'm not sure what's going on. I've read some theories that could be heat. Next I'll try to swap out the voltage regulator. I believe in my model it's a Fujitsu C4507, which is in the same positon on the power supply as the TOP202YAI that is frequently replaced on older saturns. I might buy a heatsink for it too.

Most reports of replacing capacitors, that I've seen so far, make zero difference. So I'm not going bother with that yet.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Sounds like something is warming up and going out of spec after 20 mins.