Sony KV-24FS120 Calibration Help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Speedy

Sony KV-24FS120 Calibration Help

Post by Speedy »

I was calibrating my 24FS120 today and was able to dial in grayscale well with <1dE (Delta Error) on 10% steps from 10-100 IRE, but I unfortunately couldn't figure out a way to get the primary colors to anything better than ~9dE.

The problem seems to be with this set having a STRONG red push even with the service menu AXIS setting set to 0 (I tried the whole range to see if anything measured better).

This red push resulted in a nearly 20dE on Red even though Green & Blue measure well after the grayscale calibration. Desaturating Color was able to bring Red as low as ~3dE, but then Green & Blue were thrown way off.

Adding some Color saturation back in was able to bring all the primaries back to ~9dE like I mentioned above. Unfortunately, all the colors at ~9dE looks terrible to my eyes because Green & Blue are noticeably undersaturated and Red is still obviously oversaturated.

In the end, setting the Color saturation back at the default looked best to my eyes even though Red has a significant oversaturation with ~20dE.

With that said, I'm hoping there's something I'm missing to dial this thing in better since the tube seems healthy and this appears to really just be a color matrix/processing problem in the 24FS120.

Is this just what you're stuck living with on these 15kHz WEGAs? Any suggestions or thoughts?
Taiyaki

Re: Sony KV-24FS120 Calibration Help

Post by Taiyaki »

I've never been able to get a consumer grade CRT to be anything close to color accurate. I think if that's a top priority I would go towards pro monitors to be honest, and I say this as someone who very much prefers the look and appearance of consumer crt's over pro crt monitors.

The way I get peace of mind is calibrating on 16 bit games hooked up via RGB. I know what they're supposed to look like, and I can use a reference calibrated monitor running the same games via emulators to compare. It's never 100%, but I can get it to look good enough. If I used an X-rite or some other device it would probably drive me nuts.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I already have some pro monitors, but also love the softer look of a consumer CRT for 480i games (mostly PS2).

I wonder how well people have been able to dial in other consumer CRTs like the FV310 or JVC D series.
Last edited by Speedy on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

With the FV310 I had no luck either. The red push was actually a tad stronger on it than FV300 (regardless of settings), but your mileage may vary. I only ever encountered one FV310 so I can't say it's necessarily the standard.

For what it's worth the best results I had with the FV series was the mid size (20/24 inches) FV300's. They have other quirks though such as having an odd default contrast levels that tend to crush some blacks (correctable by pushing the sub brightness up), but in terms of red push it's a bit less pronounced. I think it could be related to them using a slightly modified chassis but it may also be something else.
DrNegative

Post by DrNegative »

I ran into the same problem as you with my 20FV300. Bang on D65 all the way across, less than <0.5 across the board...then I took a look at the primaries. A red mountain. Bumped SCOL down to 13 helped, but any further than that and blue and green started taking a hit for the red. I know PVM's use Chroma PB/PR to tighten up colors but there is no equivalent adjustment in the service menu that I could find on mine.
DrNegative

Post by DrNegative »

Speedy wrote: This red push resulted in a nearly 20dE on Red even though Green & Blue measure well after the grayscale calibration. Desaturating Color was able to bring Red as low as ~3dE, but then Green & Blue were thrown way off.

Adding some Color saturation back in was able to bring all the primaries back to ~9dE like I mentioned above. Unfortunately, all the colors at ~9dE looks terrible to my eyes because Green & Blue are noticeably undersaturated and Red is still obviously oversaturated.

In the end, setting the Color saturation back at the default looked best to my eyes even though Red has a significant oversaturation with ~20dE.
I experienced the same problem on my 20FV300, pulling SCOL back to 12 improved my Red primary, any further than that and the Green, Blue primaries were hit too hard giving my diminishing returns. Chroma PB and PR are how you dial these in on PVM's but I couldn't locate an equivalent setting in the service menu. Otherwise it turned out nicely.
Spoiler