NEW: Retrotink 5x-Pro or OSSC Pro?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nmalinoski

Re: OSSC, HDMI mod, DVDOs and connections...

Post by nmalinoski »

tomini wrote:Really? No 960i? Then how to upscale PS2?
Either pass-through 480i and let a framebuffered scaler do deinterlacing and scaling or have the OSSC do line2x to 480p or line4x to 960p.
tomini

Post by tomini »

nmalinoski wrote:
Either pass-through 480i and let a framebuffered scaler do deinterlacing and scaling or have the OSSC do line2x to 480p or line4x to 960p.
Sorry, I rewatched the MLiG RGB210 video and there is passthrough with deinterlacing using the BOB method. It looks...pretty bad to be honest. I will try the Edge deinsterlacing.
So the OSSC is more for outputs with progressive resolution and not interlaced, huh? Well, it works, but it really looks bad in comparison to Framemeister, which has some cons as well.
This sort of makes things simpler, because I can either wait for future products (OSSC Pro and RetroTink5x) while using DVDO Edge or buy Framemeister, which is like...300$? But that isn't perfect solution either.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

If it's doing bob deinterlacing, it's not passthrough. Passthrough means let the 480i signal through without touching it, and let the next device in the chain (normally the TV) handle the de-interlacing. Bob deinterlacing means line double each field.
tomini

Post by tomini »

Guspaz wrote:If it's doing bob deinterlacing, it's not passthrough. Passthrough means let the 480i signal through without touching it, and let the next device in the chain (normally the TV) handle the de-interlacing. Bob deinterlacing means line double each field.
You're right. Called it wrong.
Well, anyway... the bob-deinterlacing looks really bad, I dont know how I missed that. I will wait for better product or some deal on Framemeister.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Or get a CRT, PS2 won't be looking great and as it should on modern displays, main reason is that most games are 480i only and 480i will only look good on a CRT.
tomini

Post by tomini »

Lawfer wrote:Or get a CRT, PS2 won't be looking great and as it should on modern displays, main reason is that most games are 480i only and 480i will only look good on a CRT.
I considered that, but I don't have enough space for it. I could store it, but no way to easily move it and connect it when I want to play.
Otherwise I found Barco ADVM20 for 90$. But it has some weird inputs and I don't have a room for this kind of gaming lair. :D :-/
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

tomini wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
Sorry, I rewatched the MLiG RGB210 video and there is passthrough with deinterlacing using the BOB method. It looks...pretty bad to be honest. I will try the Edge deinsterlacing.
The line-doubling bob-deinterlacing looks terrible. Turn on scanlines (Basically fills missing fields with black instead of doubling the available video data); it won't completely eliminate the shimmering, but I find it looks much better.
tomini

Post by tomini »

nmalinoski wrote:The line-doubling bob-deinterlacing looks terrible. Turn on scanlines (Basically fills missing fields with black instead of doubling the available video data); it won't completely eliminate the shimmering, but I find it looks much better.
Yeah, many people do this, but they do Line3x or more, so the scanlines don't look so damn T H I C C. But that could look shaky like before...
I'd like to experiment, but I don't have the money - too bad :-(
tomini

Re: NEW: Retrotink 5x-Pro or OSSC Pro?

Post by tomini »

Hi guys!
I saw that Retrotink 5x-Pro will be up for pre-orders soon.
Should I buy it? Considering OSSC Pro still isn't out and my only 480i device that I want to upscale is my PS2.
Or wait for OSSC Pro? Retrotink looks more like a plug'n'play upscaler with not much settings to tweak with and the price... :-/
OSSC Pro will probably cost the same as the Retrotink, because normal OSSC is like 130€.
I have DVDO Edge, but I don't think that the deinterlacing works very well. As people pointed out it is enough, but I can still see interlacing pretty good...

Deinterlacing of 5x-Pro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3WRdoewbR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o73kd2N-NW0

Deinterlacing and info about OSSC Pro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THyhfHe5Jz0

Pre-order page for 5x-Pro:
https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/5x-pro

Thanks a lot <3
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Of course you should buy it.

The OSSC is likely going to be considerably more expensive.

About the Edge's deinterlacing: if you set the deinterlacing bias to VIDEO, so it has no chance to default back into film mode, then the Edge's deinterlacing is really as good as it gets.
tomini

Post by tomini »

Fudoh wrote:Of course you should buy it.

The OSSC is likely going to be considerably more expensive.

About the Edge's deinterlacing: if you set the deinterlacing bias to VIDEO, so it has no chance to default back into film mode, then the Edge's deinterlacing is really as good as it gets.
Really...? Huh...will try it again.
And Film is what? Like variable? Can I turn it off in DVDO settings? Or will it turn off automatically when the input is progressive?

Then there is really no point in getting the RetroTink? On a 1080p 24" monitor...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The Retrotink combines excellent handling of 240p, 480i and 480p material. The Edge fails in 240p handling, but is great with 480i. Depends on your focus and what systems you want to upscale.

Film is cadence-based weave mode. For progressive sources (480p+) the deinterlacing is automatically disabled.

On the older DVDOs you have two game modes. On the Edge you only got one game mode and I THINK it's basically what Game mode 1 was before, which means you don't get proper deinterlacing from it. In other words: to enjoy the Edge's full deinterlacing potential you need to set the deinterlacing bias to video AND disable the game mode.

If you don't have any needs to the extra features of the Edge over the 5X (like using it for actual movie material), then I would seriously consider just selling the Edge and getting the 5X instead. For anything video game related, it's a very fine choice.
tomini

Post by tomini »

Fudoh wrote:The Retrotink combines excellent handling of 240p, 480i and 480p material. The Edge fails in 240p handling, but is great with 480i. Depends on your focus and what systems you want to upscale.

Film is cadence-based weave mode. For progressive sources (480p+) the deinterlacing is automatically disabled.

On the older DVDOs you have two game modes. On the Edge you only got one game mode and I THINK it's basically what Game mode 1 was before, which means you don't get proper deinterlacing from it. In other words: to enjoy the Edge's full deinterlacing potential you need to set the deinterlacing bias to video AND disable the game mode.

If you don't have any needs to the extra features of the Edge over the 5X (like using it for actual movie material), then I would seriously consider just selling the Edge and getting the 5X instead. For anything video game related, it's a very fine choice.
Thanks a lot <3
Yeah, I'd like to play some PS1 games on my PS2... And as I tried Heart of Darkness - it didn't look great, but it was acceptable. Probably side-by-side comparison would reveal a lot.
Otherwise I don't use DVDO for anything else. I have it just for my PS2 (cuz PS3 and Switch won't benefit from DVDO). Maybe I'll keep the DVDO in case that my monitor doesn't accept the output resolution of RetroTink.
The price is however still steep in my liking. Too bad we don't have the price of OSSC Pro at least. The OSSC Pro will use Motion Adaptive deinterlacing and RetroTink has Motion Adaptive as well AND Weave, Blend and more...
The OSSC Pro intrigues me with the amount of settings that are available to me (Scaling Algorithm, 240p/288p and 480i/576i modes), but I think that after some time I will stop playing with them and stick to one or two presets that are decent enough for all games.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Too bad we don't have the price of OSSC Pro at least. The OSSC Pro will use Motion Adaptive deinterlacing and RetroTink has Motion Adaptive as well AND Weave, Blend and more...
Marqs did comment on the price of the Pro. Could very well end up the $500+ range.
The only use case for weave are 480i games running at a locked 30fps, so you'd have to know your games very well to use that. I can't image that anybody will ever be using blend....
tomini

Post by tomini »

Fudoh wrote:
Too bad we don't have the price of OSSC Pro at least. The OSSC Pro will use Motion Adaptive deinterlacing and RetroTink has Motion Adaptive as well AND Weave, Blend and more...
Marqs did comment on the price of the Pro. Could very well end up the $500+ range.
The only use case for weave are 480i games running at a locked 30fps, so you'd have to know your games very well to use that. I can't image that anybody will ever be using blend....
F~...Five hundred?! :D
Okay, I will buy the RetroTink xd
Do you by any chance have the source of this comment from Marqs?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

I would wait for a write up from a competent reviewer before going all in on a retrotink 5x.
Sounds good but the devils in the detail with these things.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

I'm sure the OSSC Pro will be great, but I'd imagine for 99% of people, the Tink 5X will be awesome and exceed expectations. All of Mike's products have a proven track record of quality and great support by him. And if the OSSC Pro is even close to $500, that makes the 5X an easy choice for me.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I would wait for a write up from a competent reviewer before going all in on a retrotink 5x.
I'll try to have my post up on saturday, but I probably won't be able to beat Mike's enthutiastic 9am pre-order launch.
tomini

Post by tomini »

Fudoh wrote:
I'll try to have my post up on saturday, but I probably won't be able to beat Mike's enthutiastic 9am pre-order launch.
You have some early sample? :O
That would be freaking amazing to have a early review from user of this forum <3
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

tomini wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
You have some early sample? :O
That would be freaking amazing to have a early review from user of this forum <3
Mate, it's Fudoh...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
tomini

Post by tomini »

Thamiel wrote:Mate, it's Fudoh...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Sorry, I only know few names from here as I'm newbie around here. Fudoh, sorry if you are famous here and I didn't recognize you. The only hint of respect/popularity of a user for me is profile's stats like joined, posts and feedback.
I know his website which helped me a lot.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Why do the specs say "Output Port: Digital Video to HDTV" instead of HDMI? The picture shows an HDMI port, am I conflating things again? When I see Digital Video I think DVI.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Licensing fees associated with explicitly using the “HDMI” term.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Using the HDMI name requires one of two licensing schemes:

$10,000 USD per year plus $0.04 to $0.15 per unit (depending on various factors)
$5,000 USD per year plus $1 per unit
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Guspaz wrote:Using the HDMI name requires one of two licensing schemes:

$10,000 USD per year plus $0.04 to $0.15 per unit (depending on various factors)
$5,000 USD per year plus $1 per unit
wait what? really? didn't know that was a thing. isn't that just for naming rights anyway? actually putting the letters HDMI on the device. you can't even add it to your description? What a joke! the RPi folks who sell their devices for $35 have to pay those fee structures?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

"HDMI" is a registered trademark and the standard is proprietary. You are also not allowed to read the HDMI specification unless you're a paying licensee, though older versions (1.3 and older) are freely available.

You can find "Raspberry Pi Trading Ltd" (the commercial arm of the Raspberry Pi Foundation) on the list of HDMI licensees here: https://www.hdmi.org/adopter/adoptersaffiliates

Which means that they're a paid licensee, and since they put the HDMI logo on the board itself, that also means they've paid for the (very expensive) compliance testing. Either that or the HDMI LA has donated it to them.

EDIT: It's not clear to me, but the $0.04-0.15 royalty fee might be required on top of the $1 administration fee that applies to the low-volume ($5,000/year) license.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

At the volumes the Pis, PlayStations, Xboxes, and Switches of the world operate, it's quite possible they are able to leverage their marketshare towards even better contracts.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

bahamutfan64 wrote:At the volumes the Pis, PlayStations, Xboxes, and Switches of the world operate, it's quite possible they are able to leverage their marketshare towards even better contracts.
Sony is a partial owner of HDMI. It was brought into existence as a trojan horse for HDCP, which benefits them greatly.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

HDCP predates HDMI, it originated on DVI a few years before HDMI development ever started. HDCP was already being used on HDTVs that had DVI ports.