Component Video mod for curved screen Sony Trinitrons

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
flyingflygon

Re: Component Video mod for curved screen Sony Trinitrons

Post by flyingflygon »

Zronium wrote:
flyingflygon wrote:
Absolutely try wiring directly without the DuPont connectors. That's the only way I could get mine to go away. Hopefully it works for you.
Hot damn, didn't think that'd be the issue, but it sure was. Everything looks clean now. Thanks a bunch!
Nice! So glad to hear
EddieMaster

Post by EddieMaster »

Hey guys,

so I have an interesting question. I know it is not a cruved Sony Trinitron, but I have a Philips 32PW9527 /12 (European model) with 3 SCART ports (of which 2 can display RGB). I found out, however, that this model also exists in overseas territories. Right now I am specifically talking about the Philips 32PW9527 /79R (New Zealand model) that is HD capable and had Component YPbPr and VGA ports. Since mine CAN'T do HD via SCART and the New Zealand model of the same type can, it made me wonder if maybe it was possible to get those capabilities back by modding back YPbPr Component. I've looked at the schematics and they seem to look almost identical, with some differences (of which I don't know if they make a difference). The Jungle chip and other chip seem to look identical though.

I wanted to ask you guys if you could maybe help and see if it would be even possible to mod YPbPr back in and if you could explain what to do. Sorry if I ask too much, I was just wondering and you all seem like the only people with expertise (since barely anything on the internet can be found regarding YPbPr modding.

I will supply information in case anyone is willing to help.

The schematics of the 32PW9527 /79R (New Zealand, YPbPr capable) -- Chassis EM5A P/M AA
https://www.electronica-pt.com/esquema/ ... nfo/24028/

The schematics of the 32PW9527 /12 (European, RGB SCART capable) -- Chassis EM5E AA
https://www.electronica-pt.com/esquema/ ... info/2854/

The video in which you can see the 32PW9527 /79R (New Zealand) working with its ports
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VhffNi4Ai8&t=802s
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

Zronium wrote:
flyingflygon wrote:
Absolutely try wiring directly without the DuPont connectors. That's the only way I could get mine to go away. Hopefully it works for you.
Hot damn, didn't think that'd be the issue, but it sure was. Everything looks clean now. Thanks a bunch!
Weird, I've always used DuPont connectors on all of my RGB mods (including the BA-4C/D and BA-5) and have never had any issues with them. I wonder if you guys were having issues with them because of bad crimping, one of my practice cables had no continuity from the crimped connector to the bare wire, so I had to recrimp that wire. Not related to any of my mods, just something I thought I'd mention to show how recrimping can make a difference.
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

KPackratt2k wrote: Weird, I've always used DuPont connectors on all of my RGB mods (including the BA-4C/D and BA-5) and have never had any issues with them. I wonder if you guys were having issues with them because of bad crimping, one of my practice cables had no continuity from the crimped connector to the bare wire, so I had to recrimp that wire. Not related to any of my mods, just something I thought I'd mention to show how recrimping can make a difference.
It's possible that the crimps were just bad, I'm honestly terrible at crimping connectors lmao
flyingflygon

Post by flyingflygon »

KPackratt2k wrote:
Zronium wrote:
flyingflygon wrote:
Weird, I've always used DuPont connectors on all of my RGB mods (including the BA-4C/D and BA-5) and have never had any issues with them. I wonder if you guys were having issues with them because of bad crimping, one of my practice cables had no continuity from the crimped connector to the bare wire, so I had to recrimp that wire. Not related to any of my mods, just something I thought I'd mention to show how recrimping can make a difference.
I had done it on two TVs before I realized that the connectors were part of the issue. However in my case, it's the connectors in conjunction with using diodes. Once I dropped the diodes, having connectors themselves does not cause interference. I surmised it was ultimately caused by dirty power at my house, since I can see the faintest ground interference on all CRTs anyway. Using diodes and connectors just exacerbated it a ton.

So it's definitely not bad crimps. But it could be a number of factors - usually connectors will just worsen what's inherently there with analog electronics on your home's power source.
chjmartin2a

Post by chjmartin2a »

chjmartin2a wrote:Hi,

I am really excited to have found this thread. I recently pulled out my KV-27S40 as I now have more space in my office. I was excited to get to use this TV and my memory betrayed me because I thought I had S-Video input, which I do not. I know RGB mods using the menu overlay are all the rage but I really do not have anything with a SCART connector. I do however have plenty of S-Video output and component output devices. I really would like to either a) add S-Video to this TV or b) component mod. I am ok with just component, hence asking the question here.

Here is a link to the schematic applicable to my TV.

Sure enough, my jungle chip is the same one from this post CXA2061S.

However I don't have S-Video input, and of course I only know how to install mods others have made, not as skilled at trying to make my own. Any advice on how to get started here? Obviously the mod where people can use the TV menu to get to the additional input and enabling second audio, etc. is great, but honestly if I have to put in a switch to keep my original composite input working and have to share audio that's fine with me. This will, in fact, for me be my first attempt at a TV mod. I'd appreciate any advice on a shopping list too. I have a soldering station and desoldering iron and I do know how to use them. I have lifted IC pins in the past. I have dremel modified cases and put in connectors before, etc. I haven't grounded the anode before but it appears now is the time to learn.

Like I said, I am not concerned with it being super fancy. I am happy to have just composite and component, requiring a switch or not, and having it use the current audio in. If it wasn't a huge amount of additional work, also would be happy to add S-Video to that as well. Would be intellectually interested in how to enable a new input for component and audio as a second input, but that isn't critical. I appreciate in advance any help in getting me started.

Thanks,

Chris
Anybody willing to mod my board for me? I'll pay...
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

chjmartin2a wrote:Anybody willing to mod my board for me? I'll pay...
If you are in (or close to) the Seattle, WA area, I would gladly mod this set for you. PM me if you're interested.
flyingflygon

Post by flyingflygon »

I wanted to report that I successfully modded a KV-27S42 with both component and RGB connected to one rotary switch. More details and pics on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... h_both_rgb
Spoiler

Switching between the blanking circuits: https://imgur.com/a/aSif1s3
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

Nice job! I should post about my modded KV-27V42 someday. I've also modded a KV-27V20 to have both YPbPr and RGB through the use of a 3P3T slide switch, I believe I've posted about that one several months ago.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

flyingflygon wrote:I wanted to report that I successfully modded a KV-27S42 with both component and RGB connected to one rotary switch. More details and pics on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... h_both_rgb
Spoiler

Switching between the blanking circuits: https://imgur.com/a/aSif1s3
Wait--there's a way to overcome the horizontal shift without resorting to the service menu? I had my KV27S42 RGB modded and even with a full service menu adjustment I can't center it properly. Can you expand upon how this is overcome?
matt

Post by matt »

HDgaming42 wrote:Wait--there's a way to overcome the horizontal shift without resorting to the service menu? I had my KV27S42 RGB modded and even with a full service menu adjustment I can't center it properly. Can you expand upon how this is overcome?
There are 2 things happening here.

First, you have to use the S-Video Luma input for sync, otherwise the comb filter delays the signal too much and the picture is too far off center. If you do that, the shift will be minimal and you'll be able to easily adjust the position in the menu. This is the case for any TV that uses a comb filter (which is most TVs that have S-video or component inputs).

Secondly, the TV has a horizontal position switch on the A board. This can be wired in tandem with blanking to automatically correct for horizontal shift when switching to RGB or component.

I wrote an RGB mod guide for the 27S42 that covers both of these. The same principles apply to the component mod as well:

https://crtdatabase.com/crts/sony/sony-kv-27s42
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Thanks so much for this--this is awesome!
matt wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote:Wait--there's a way to overcome the horizontal shift without resorting to the service menu? I had my KV27S42 RGB modded and even with a full service menu adjustment I can't center it properly. Can you expand upon how this is overcome?
There are 2 things happening here.

First, you have to use the S-Video Luma input for sync, otherwise the comb filter delays the signal too much and the picture is too far off center. If you do that, the shift will be minimal and you'll be able to easily adjust the position in the menu. This is the case for any TV that uses a comb filter (which is most TVs that have S-video or component inputs).

Secondly, the TV has a horizontal position switch on the A board. This can be wired in tandem with blanking to automatically correct for horizontal shift when switching to RGB or component.

I wrote an RGB mod guide for the 27S42 that covers both of these. The same principles apply to the component mod as well:

https://crtdatabase.com/crts/sony/sony-kv-27s42
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

I've modded a Sony KV-27V42 (BA-4D chassis) to include both RGB and YPbPr inputs which are selectable via a 3P3T slide switch (the same one used for the KV-27V20 AA-2 mod from several months ago), and as promised earlier, here is a photo album of the mod with diagrams included.

https://imgur.com/a/TFw7VLg

Special thanks to matt and MarkOZLAD for providing the information to make this mod possible.
chickenxhat

Post by chickenxhat »

I am trying to mod a KV-27v22 for component and have largely followed packrats information, however I am getting only luma correctly working. I followed the following from his post (https://imgur.io/a/BjLmET0) but wired directly and omitted the switch, as I won't be using RGB or S-Video and am happy to more or less permanently alter the set to run component. That said, I still removed those components that the imgur pics indicated should be removed and added those it said needed to be added, paying attention to polarity for the caps. My real problem is simply wiring up the input jacks. When I first wired it up I got nothing, and noticed that when I pulled out Luma that I brushed the male jack against the outer sleeve of the female connector I bought, suggesting I had it wired in reverse where the wires arrive at the connector from the main board. I swapped and now Luma works as intended, but I'm having no luck at all with wiring the two chroma lines. I have 1ea 75ohm resistor for these lines as intended, I'm just totally not wiring things in the proper sequence and would love it if someone could assist me with getting it right.

The ypbpr wiring diagram in the above referenced imgur link makes sense to me until I actually wire it up and see that I clearly don't have it correct, and now I'm worried that I'm just not understanding where split the lines for ground and the 75Rs on the chroma lines. A clear picture would be great. More, the picture of the actual jacks wired up don't seem to match the diagram. Why is that? Maybe I'm just not reading it correctly.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: I modified the original diagram to show how I am attempting to wire this: https://imgur.com/Eclv8Mf

SECOND UPDATE: a reddit user pointed out that I was mistakenly believing the line from PYS to the switch in the original diagram was only related to RGBs, but is needed to activate blanking for the YPbPr signal. I will connect that line later today and see how it goes.

THIRD UPDATE: added that line with a switch to break it, got chroma but very dark. Swapped polarity of luma and everything looks right only the image is scrolling, like ironically it isn’t actually synced. Can someone evaluate?
skull_face

Post by skull_face »

Hi :D i'm new in this foro y furthermore new in this kind of mod's. i have a sony kv21se42, and with some help of one of my friend i have already get to the board. The jungle chip is the same as the one in the post and i want to make the mod but Unfortunately i dont understand a lot of things, i dont know if i can made the mod in my tv. That being said, can someone help me? hahahah I would really appreciate it since it is the only forum I found on this topic.
pd: sorry if my english is not the best :B my mother language is spanish.