Component Video mod for curved screen Sony Trinitrons

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
sithse7en

Re: Component Video mod for curved screen Sony Trinitrons

Post by sithse7en »

Hey Guys!! This thread and the rgb crt mod one are just great, no drama, all sweet retro gaming crt upgrades! figured this was the best place for my first post after years of lurking and doing pvm repairs and osd mux mods.

I need some advice, I got a Sony KV-32v15, AA-1 Chassis, its geometry and convergence are fantastic, but it has no component, so Ideally, I'd like to add YPbPr(tho it may be one chassis too early) and RGB, but through what point, there are two jungles cxa1545as on Ua, cxa1465as and the CCD sL1635 and audio/PIP on M that have rgb inputs. I have a few arduino clones about and would try to intercept the i2c bus if it meant adding the video inputs to the menu, KPackratt2k's 3-way blanking switching seems like a good way to go there. Help me decide on a direction of attack! thanks to all Contributors like MarkOZlad and Matt etc..
Ianr757

Post by Ianr757 »

With the help of OP, I was able to confirm that this mod works on the AA-2D chassis. Without going too in-depth about the details, here is what I had to do to get it to work on my KV-32V26:

1. Remove R358/R359/R360
2. Run YPbPr through 0.01 uF caps on the positive legs of caps C360/C361/C362 (there may just be jumpers here; remove those)
3. Run blank at far side of R1352
4. Grab 5v from an appropriate point (you can trace pin 46 of the micon to find one)
5. Grab sync from center pin of s-video
6. Use a switch to connect 5v and blank (more than one pole is necessary to preserve s-video)
PressLeft

Post by PressLeft »

KPackratt2k wrote:The mod has been successful, as I've already mentioned in the RGB modding thread for those who have been following it. I'm also posting about it on this thread as suggested by its OP so that people who are more familiar with this one will also know about it.

https://imgur.com/a/BjLmET0

I have modded a Sony KV-27V20 (AA-2 chassis) to support both RGB and Component YPbPr via two different sets of color-coded RCA input jacks. I'm using a 3P3T slide switch to toggle between inputs. For RGB, I've performed the OSD mux mod documented by MarkOZLAD in the RGB mod thread. I did the Component mod using information from this thread and the service manual. The YUV input on the PIP header (unused in the model) was grounded by two jumper resistors (JR351 and JR352) and a capacitor (C375) which needed to be removed. R358, R359, and R360 had to be populated with 220 ohm resistors to serve as the inline resistors for the Component input. C360, C361, and C362 had to be populated with 0.47 uF capacitors as suggested by the service manual. The Luma (Y) had to be split into both the PIP header and the S-Video Luma line to sync. As suggested by an AA-2D RGB mod done by Osirus, I've wired the switch to ground R233 to force the S-Video input in YPbPr mode.
Oh man, i just picked up a KV-32S45 and will be picking up a very similar KV-32S26 in a couple weeks, both AA-2D chassis which I'm really hoping can do this same mod. I'd love to get both RGB and YUV in there, along with s-video input for my main CRT setup. It seems like a fairly straightforward mod, looking forward to it.
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

redundant. Post held a week for approval, don't know how to delete
Last edited by Zronium on Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

I posted this in the main RGB thread too, but it might be more relevant here.

I need help getting Sync on my BA-5 KV-20fs12.

Syncing on CVBS2 shifts the screen to the left. Too far to fix with the service menu and the physical h-pos switch.

I've been unable to sync on Y1. Just infinite scrolling.

I tried with and without a 10uF as per suggestion from this:
matt wrote:You may not have to do a complete S-Video mod.

What would probably work is if you enable the S-Video input in the service menu, and input the sync to pin 4 of the jungle chip via a 10uF capacitor. There are a bunch of other missing components in the S-Video circuit, but you probably don't need these if all you want is to sync your RGB signal.

To enable S-Video, go the service menu and change ID-1 from 3 to 19.
I then tried reconstructing the Luma parts of the S-video circuit. (C1002 10uF, C1367 10uF, IC1002) as per BazookaBen's S-video guide for Ba-5. I tried with and without JR1083 (as it was suggested to be removed.)

Here's all that's currently done:

Y, Pb, Pr > 75ohm termination > 0.1uF > EYIN, ER-YIN, EB-YIN.
Y splits before the 0.1uF to Y1 on the A board, then runs through the S-video circuit to Jungle and the H SYNCH SW IC.
Changed ID-1 from 3 to 19 in the service menu.
5v > 1k resistor > SPDT > YUVSW on the jungle.

Blanking works fine. sync still works

I think it's likely that it's not detecting S-video as an input, and I have no idea how to fix that. I figured IC1003 would've done it, but it has not unfortunately.

I've checked my connections, continuity on everything, IC and caps are all positioned correctly. I think I've ruled out possible user error, and am now just stuck missing a step.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by Zronium on Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

Do you have any components on the path for the sensing circuit (between IC1002 pin 2 and IC1001 pin 15)?
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

KPackratt2k wrote:Do you have any components on the path for the sensing circuit (between IC1002 pin 2 and IC1001 pin 15)?
Yea, there's R1412 220ohm to 15, and C1026 bypass cap. On both my board and the service manual.

matt

Post by matt »

I wish I knew the answer to this. It's a problem with RGB mods too, and I'd love to try figuring it out. But, I've had no luck trying to find a 20FS12 to test it with. I do have a 20FV17 to mod but that model does have S-Video already.

Have you tried replicating Bazookabob's Y/C mod in its entirety? If you can get the S-Video input to work it would be interesting to see what components can be removed while still retaining sync.

One thing to check is if you terminated the Y signal properly. Double termination can cause loss of vertical sync.
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

matt wrote:I wish I knew the answer to this. It's a problem with RGB mods too, and I'd love to try figuring it out. But, I've had no luck trying to find a 20FS12 to test it with. I do have a 20FV17 to mod but that model does have S-Video already.

Have you tried replicating Bazookabob's Y/C mod in its entirety? If you can get the S-Video input to work it would be interesting to see what components can be removed while still retaining sync.

One thing to check is if you terminated the Y signal properly. Double termination can cause loss of vertical sync.
Here's how I have the A Board currently. Mostly using unpopulated spots for connectors and the wires to the M board. Between those is unpopulated termination pads that I threw SMD 75ohm's into. The outs run directly into 0.1uF caps then wired straight into the jungle. There's a termination spot on the Y1 circuit that I purposefully didn't re-add.
Spoiler

I think I have extra components to finish off the Y/C mod, I'll just have to sacrifice an s-video cable to test it. I'll fumble with that and update afterward.

The set of 4 vias in J201. 1 is Chroma, 4 is Luma. 3 is ground. 2 as far as I can tell is unpopulated. I did try grounding it for the unlikely chance that something is connected to it for detection to no avail.
Last edited by Zronium on Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

I undid pretty much everything from the YPbPr side of the mod, finished off the S-video as per BazookaBen's Guide / the service manual. I cut the end off an old bad snes s-video cable that I had, soldered Y, C and GND in and still nothing. I can still get composite video just fine, just absolutely nothing from S-video or component.

I'm wondering now if the H SYNCH SW IC I got is bad, or maybe this particular TV just hates me, cause I got nothin. All my soldering is clean and simple, continuity is good, it just doesn't wanna switch over.

Also just to verify, once I change the ID-1 in the service menu, I can save it with mute + enter, but there's nothing else I need to do to make it active?
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

Zronium wrote:Also just to verify, once I change the ID-1 in the service menu, I can save it with mute + enter, but there's nothing else I need to do to make it active?
Correct. In addition to having ID-1 set to 19, try setting the following ID settings to these values:

ID-2: 207
ID-5: 19

See if this makes any difference.
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

KPackratt2k wrote:
Zronium wrote:Also just to verify, once I change the ID-1 in the service menu, I can save it with mute + enter, but there's nothing else I need to do to make it active?
Correct. In addition to having ID-1 set to 19, try setting the following ID settings to these values:

ID-2: 207
ID-5: 19

See if this makes any difference.
Still nothing sadly.
matt

Post by matt »

Zronium wrote:I undid pretty much everything from the YPbPr side of the mod, finished off the S-video as per BazookaBen's Guide / the service manual. I cut the end off an old bad snes s-video cable that I had, soldered Y, C and GND in and still nothing. I can still get composite video just fine, just absolutely nothing from S-video or component.

I'm wondering now if the H SYNCH SW IC I got is bad, or maybe this particular TV just hates me, cause I got nothin. All my soldering is clean and simple, continuity is good, it just doesn't wanna switch over.

Also just to verify, once I change the ID-1 in the service menu, I can save it with mute + enter, but there's nothing else I need to do to make it active?
Shoot, I with I knew more about this mod. The 20FS12 is the model that would benefit most from RGB/Component mods, and the thing that's holding it back is the lack of a good sync injection point. It's an excellent TV with good geometry controls and a 90 degree tube - its only flaw is a lack of good quality input connections.

Has anyone tried injecting sync downstream from the comb filter? That's what's causing the excess horizontal picture shift, and the only reason to use S-Video is to bypass it.
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

matt wrote:Has anyone tried injecting sync downstream from the comb filter? That's what's causing the excess horizontal picture shift, and the only reason to use S-Video is to bypass it.
Assuming it's not as easy as just tossing sync into Comb Y on the jungle. Cause that would be super simple.

If you have any ideas to try, I may not 100% know what I'm doing, but I'll try it. If whatever mod completely takes composite out, I'm fine with that, cause I'm only wanting to use this for component.

(Edit)

Okay nevermind. I have no idea if this is a good idea. I isolated COMB Y by removing R1367, then connected sync into the 10uF cap right before jungle. I have sync now lmao.

If that's a legit solution, in theory I could either cut the trace or swap the smd resistor for something through-hole and hook it up into a switch similar to the s-video blanking circuit.
Spoiler
The only thing now, and I've noticed this throughout my attempts, is that when blanking, there's a wavy interference on the screen. It's present when nothings plugged in, only blanking. So things I'm curious about to fix that. Isolate the blanking pin? Change my 5v source? Add more than just a 1k resistor? change my wire routing?
Spoiler
Now I just need to spend a while trying not to die while tweaking the geometry and convergence.
matt

Post by matt »

Zronium wrote:Okay nevermind. I have no idea if this is a good idea. I isolated COMB Y by removing R1367, then connected sync into the 10uF cap right before jungle. I have sync now lmao.

If that's a legit solution, in theory I could either cut the trace or swap the smd resistor for something through-hole and hook it up into a switch similar to the s-video blanking circuit.
I don't see how that would be a problem. The datasheet (for similar jungle chips) says that pin 9 will accept a 2vpp Luma signal, including sync, through a coupling cap. That's twice the normal voltage level for a Luma signal, but if the TV is syncing to it I'm sure it will be fine.
The only thing now, and I've noticed this throughout my attempts, is that when blanking, there's a wavy interference on the screen. It's present when nothings plugged in, only blanking. So things I'm curious about to fix that. Isolate the blanking pin? Change my 5v source? Add more than just a 1k resistor? change my wire routing?
If the component input pins are left floating, you'll get some weird interference when blanking is enabled. They're supposed to be connected to ground through a capacitor (when the mod is completed, the coupling cap and terminating resistor serve that purpose). Otherwise, any of the things you mentioned could help. I haven't had that issue with the TVs I've modded, but every model is different.
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

matt wrote: If the component input pins are left floating, you'll get some weird interference when blanking is enabled. They're supposed to be connected to ground through a capacitor (when the mod is completed, the coupling cap and terminating resistor serve that purpose). Otherwise, any of the things you mentioned could help. I haven't had that issue with the TVs I've modded, but every model is different.
Sadly its a problem whether somethings plugged in or not. Super noticeable when the screen is darker.
Spoiler
I tried pretty much all of my previous ideas to fix. rewired everything, swapped to throughhole resistors instead of smd, tossed in another 1k resistor in parallel on my 5v, and removed the last component before the blanking pin.

I haven't tried a different 5v source, I might try off of the regulator next. but yea, I'm honestly running out of ideas.
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

This could be from the blanking voltage being too high. According to the datasheets, the typical blanking voltage for Sony jungle chips is 1-3V, though some may accept 5V without issues. Try adding a diode to your blanking line or create a voltage divider to lower the voltage to around 3V.
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

KPackratt2k wrote:This could be from the blanking voltage being too high. According to the datasheets, the typical blanking voltage for Sony jungle chips is 1-3V, though some may accept 5V without issues. Try adding a diode to your blanking line or create a voltage divider to lower the voltage to around 3V.
Voltage is reading a little under 2v and still the same sadly.
flyingflygon

Post by flyingflygon »

Hi all, love the documentation here. Quick question hopefully you can provide some insight.

I just completed the Component mod on my Sony KV-27S42 and it works perfectly. That is, if the component source is directly plugged into the set. If I plug the component console into my Extron Crosspoint (8x4) then the output into the set, I usually don't have sync.

For reference, I have wired my Luma signal to the YIN through a Dip header just like OP, as well as connected it to the Luma pin on the S-video connector on the board. I also put my component input jack's ground on pin 4 (luma ground) of the S-video connector. Here's a picture of this:
Spoiler
Do you think my wiring might be the cause of this - or the Crosspoint is possibly degrading the sync signal? I have checked that my wires are fully plugged in on both ends, as well as tested several consoles. For my Gamecube and Wii, component doesn't sync at all when going through the Crosspoint. For my MiSTer, it does sync, but on some screens it loses it. I was able to use 240p test suite to find that it holds sync on White, Red, and Green screens, but when I go all Blue, it drops sync.

Anyone used their own Crosspoint with this mod? Thanks for any help!
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

It looks like you didn't ground the S-Video sensing pin (one of the center pins that connect from the shield), which could likely be the reason why you're not getting sync sometimes. If you have any spare S-Video cables or a dummy connector, try plugging it into the S-Video input to see if that fixes your issue.

Also, make sure that you're connecting Component into the RGB jacks of the Crosspoint, don't connect Luma into the Sync jacks as it boosts the incoming signal to TTL level sync which can damage your set if you leave it plugged in for too long.
flyingflygon

Post by flyingflygon »

I'm happy to report it was just a silly mistake on my part. I am currently modding the set for both component and RGB. On my RGB circuit, I have the sync and RGB lines left floating while I wait for my SCART connectors to arrive in the mail. The sync line connected to the Luma pin must have been *just* close enough to a ground source such that when the signal was strong enough, it connected and thus I lost sync.

Trying again with moving those wires out of the case, everything works fine with my Crosspoint. This then arises a new question:

I would like to ideally have one switch that connects 3 circuits:

1. 5V through 1kR to PIP YSW (Component mod) or to R028 blanking circuit (RGB mod) or to nothing (Stock video inputs)
2. S-video pin 3 to Component Luma jack (Component mod) or to sync BNC (RGB mod) or to nothing (Stock video inputs)
3. S-video switch pin to ground (Component mod or RGB mod) or to nothing (Stock video inputs)

For this I need a switch with ON-OFF-ON and 3 rows of pins. Having trouble finding that online, any tips on how to properly search for it? Thanks again!
matt

Post by matt »

flyingflygon wrote:For this I need a switch with ON-OFF-ON and 3 rows of pins. Having trouble finding that online, any tips on how to properly search for it? Thanks again!
Better yet, use this 4P3T rotary switch:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... ZQ/3752250

And the knob to go with it:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... BU/6566353

If you want, you can link the TV's horizontal position switch to the 4th pole which will compensate for the image shift in RGB/component. I wrote about it procedure on this web page:

https://crtdatabase.com/crts/sony/sony-kv-27s42
flyingflygon

Post by flyingflygon »

matt wrote:
flyingflygon wrote:For this I need a switch with ON-OFF-ON and 3 rows of pins. Having trouble finding that online, any tips on how to properly search for it? Thanks again!
Better yet, use this 4P3T rotary switch:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... ZQ/3752250

And the knob to go with it:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... BU/6566353

If you want, you can link the TV's horizontal position switch to the 4th pole which will compensate for the image shift in RGB/component. I wrote about it procedure on this web page:

https://crtdatabase.com/crts/sony/sony-kv-27s42
This is incredible - exactly what I needed. I wasn't even aware of that shifting knob and I have done this mod a couple times. Thanks Matt! Will update when I have it installed.
EddieMaster

Post by EddieMaster »

Hey guys,

so I have an interesting question. I have a Philips 32PW9527 /12 (European model) with 3 SCART ports (of which 2 can display RGB). I found out, however, that this model also exists in overseas territories. Right now I am specifically talking about the Philips 32PW9527 /79R (New Zealand model) that is HD capable and had Component YPbPr and VGA ports. Since mine CAN'T do HD via SCART and the New Zealand model of the same type can, it made me wonder if maybe it was possible to get those capabilities back by modding back YPbPr Component. I've looked at the schematics and they seem to look almost identical, with some differences (of which I don't know if they make a difference). The Jungle chip and other chip seem to look identical though.

I wanted to ask you guys if you could maybe help and see if it would be even possible to mod YPbPr back in and if you could explain what to do. Sorry if I ask too much, I was just wondering and you all seem like the only people with expertise (since barely anything on the internet can be found regarding YPbPr modding.

I will supply information in case anyone is willing to help.

The schematics of the 32PW9527 /79R (New Zealand, YPbPr capable) -- Chassis EM5A P/M AA
https://www.electronica-pt.com/esquema/ ... nfo/24028/

The schematics of the 32PW9527 /12 (European, RGB SCART capable) -- Chassis EM5E AA
https://www.electronica-pt.com/esquema/ ... info/2854/

The video in which you can see the 32PW9527 /79R (New Zealand) working with its ports
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VhffNi4Ai8&t=802s
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

Imma cap off my mod of my KV-20FS12 BA-5

So for future reference, I'll toss the install steps here.

1. Remove SMD caps C1345, C1349, C1350 from next to the EYIN, ER-YIN and EB-YIN pins on the jungle.

2. Add 0.1uF caps to EYIN, ER-YIN and EB-YIN. Can reuse the previously removed smd caps if you choose.

3. Add y, pb, pr rca inputs. Terminate each with a 75ohm resistor to ground.

4. Wire pb and pr to the 0.1uf caps on the jungle. Split y, 1 to the jungle, the other to the (-) side of C1366 for sync on CVBS2.

5. For blanking, connect a wire from YUV-SW to the center pin of a SPDT switch, then wire 5v and a 1k ohm resistor to another switch pin.

6. In the service menu, change "SYSC" to 7 to fix the horizontal shift from sync.

I wasn't able to re-add s-video functionality, still unsure why, so I couldn't sync to that. I was able to sync without needing the service menu change by connecting it to C1385 before COMB Y on the jungle. That's an alternative if needed.

This tv looks gorgeous with component. This is a great model to pickup.

Edit: Fixed interference issue, was due to dupont connectors.
Last edited by Zronium on Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingflygon

Post by flyingflygon »

Zronium wrote:Imma cap off my mod of my KV-20FS12 BA-5

Just accepting that I can't get rid of the weird blanking interference. Honestly out of ideas, and just wanna clean up my desk.

So for future reference, I'll toss the install steps here.

1. Remove SMD caps C1345, C1349, C1350 from next to the EYIN, ER-YIN and EB-YIN pins on the jungle.

2. Add 0.1uF caps to EYIN, ER-YIN and EB-YIN. Can reuse the previously removed smd caps if you choose.

3. Add y, pb, pr rca inputs. Terminate each with a 75ohm resistor to ground.

4. Wire pb and pr to the 0.1uf caps on the jungle. Split y, 1 to the jungle, the other to the (-) side of C1366 for sync on CVBS2.

5. For blanking, connect a wire from YUV-SW to the center pin of a SPDT switch, then wire 5v and a 1k ohm resistor to another switch pin.

6. In the service menu, change "SYSC" to 7 to fix the horizontal shift from sync.

I wasn't able to re-add s-video functionality, still unsure why, so I couldn't sync to that. I was able to sync without needing the service menu change by connecting it to C1385 before COMB Y on the jungle. That's an alternative if needed.

My blanking adds a wavy interference, I've tried diodes, voltage divider and a bunch of other stuff, couldn't clean it up. That is the only problem that I couldn't solve. I'm unclear if it's just my tv, or this model.

Other than that, this tv looks gorgeous with component. If someone can figure out the blanking issues this is an amazing model to pickup.
I have determined a wavy interference on BA-4D RGB mods (not component) is caused by diodes on the RGB lines in combination with a junction (for lack of a better word) in the video signal. The junction can be any of the following: JST quick connectors, 0.1uF filter caps, or an input/output chain in an Extron Crosspoint. Basically anything that isn't a direct connection from the input BNCs to the diodes on the RGB lines caused this interference.

I don't know if it will be applicable to your mod with Component but I thought I'd throw it out there. In my current mods, getting rid of the diodes seemed to fix it, so I'm just using resistors on the RGB lines. And in the case of the component mod, I haven't found the interference yet by following OPs steps.

My interference was slow rolling lines that extended out to the right of the screen. Especially visible on solid colors, extremely noticable on the magenta sky at the beginning of Mega Man X.
chjmartin2a

Post by chjmartin2a »

Hi,

I am really excited to have found this thread. I recently pulled out my KV-27S40 as I now have more space in my office. I was excited to get to use this TV and my memory betrayed me because I thought I had S-Video input, which I do not. I know RGB mods using the menu overlay are all the rage but I really do not have anything with a SCART connector. I do however have plenty of S-Video output and component output devices. I really would like to either a) add S-Video to this TV or b) component mod. I am ok with just component, hence asking the question here.

Here is a link to the schematic applicable to my TV.

Sure enough, my jungle chip is the same one from this post CXA2061S.

However I don't have S-Video input, and of course I only know how to install mods others have made, not as skilled at trying to make my own. Any advice on how to get started here? Obviously the mod where people can use the TV menu to get to the additional input and enabling second audio, etc. is great, but honestly if I have to put in a switch to keep my original composite input working and have to share audio that's fine with me. This will, in fact, for me be my first attempt at a TV mod. I'd appreciate any advice on a shopping list too. I have a soldering station and desoldering iron and I do know how to use them. I have lifted IC pins in the past. I have dremel modified cases and put in connectors before, etc. I haven't grounded the anode before but it appears now is the time to learn.

Like I said, I am not concerned with it being super fancy. I am happy to have just composite and component, requiring a switch or not, and having it use the current audio in. If it wasn't a huge amount of additional work, also would be happy to add S-Video to that as well. Would be intellectually interested in how to enable a new input for component and audio as a second input, but that isn't critical. I appreciate in advance any help in getting me started.

Thanks,

Chris
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

flyingflygon wrote: I have determined a wavy interference on BA-4D RGB mods (not component) is caused by diodes on the RGB lines in combination with a junction (for lack of a better word) in the video signal. The junction can be any of the following: JST quick connectors, 0.1uF filter caps, or an input/output chain in an Extron Crosspoint. Basically anything that isn't a direct connection from the input BNCs to the diodes on the RGB lines caused this interference.

I don't know if it will be applicable to your mod with Component but I thought I'd throw it out there. In my current mods, getting rid of the diodes seemed to fix it, so I'm just using resistors on the RGB lines. And in the case of the component mod, I haven't found the interference yet by following OPs steps.

My interference was slow rolling lines that extended out to the right of the screen. Especially visible on solid colors, extremely noticable on the magenta sky at the beginning of Mega Man X.

I've tested this through my crosspoint, and direct with my rgb modded snes + HD retrovision, and my gamecube with retrobit component. It's for been the same, even with nothing plugged in at all.

There's no diodes in the circuit, the only thing connected to the YPBPR jungle pins for RGB were 3 0.1uf bypass caps and nothing else. Those are what I removed, to copy what was done in the done in the start of the thread.

I do have everything hooked up with dupont connectors for easy disassembly, I've tried hooking up blanking direct, but haven't tried the ypbpr lines direct. thats the only thing I can think of to try. I do have the lines wired with insulated cable that I took from a VGA cord, so it's unlikely to be interference from elsewhere. I do have pics of the problem a few posts back in this thread for reference
flyingflygon

Post by flyingflygon »

Zronium wrote:
flyingflygon wrote: I have determined a wavy interference on BA-4D RGB mods (not component) is caused by diodes on the RGB lines in combination with a junction (for lack of a better word) in the video signal. The junction can be any of the following: JST quick connectors, 0.1uF filter caps, or an input/output chain in an Extron Crosspoint. Basically anything that isn't a direct connection from the input BNCs to the diodes on the RGB lines caused this interference.

I've tested this through my crosspoint, and direct with my rgb modded snes + HD retrovision, and my gamecube with retrobit component. It's for been the same, even with nothing plugged in at all.

There's no diodes in the circuit, the only thing connected to the YPBPR jungle pins for RGB were 3 0.1uf bypass caps and nothing else. Those are what I removed, to copy what was done in the done in the start of the thread.

I do have everything hooked up with dupont connectors for easy disassembly, I've tried hooking up blanking direct, but haven't tried the ypbpr lines direct. thats the only thing I can think of to try. I do have the lines wired with insulated cable that I took from a VGA cord, so it's unlikely to be interference from elsewhere. I do have pics of the problem a few posts back in this thread for reference
Absolutely try wiring directly without the DuPont connectors. That's the only way I could get mine to go away. Hopefully it works for you.
Zronium

Post by Zronium »

flyingflygon wrote:
Absolutely try wiring directly without the DuPont connectors. That's the only way I could get mine to go away. Hopefully it works for you.
Hot damn, didn't think that'd be the issue, but it sure was. Everything looks clean now. Thanks a bunch!