shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:04 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:46 pm 



Joined: 04 Feb 2021
Posts: 2
I'm comparing Male to Male Component cables to go from my SCART to Component adaptor, to my Sony TV. I'm spending a fortune on all of the intermediate pieces, so I was hoping to go the cheap route with the final leg to the TV. Can I go Chinese? Any brand recommendations - the cable needs to be short, no longer than 1m


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:51 pm 



Joined: 20 Feb 2021
Posts: 3
HD Retrovision cables are the shit


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:40 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 332
HD Retrovision should do the trick. Affordable quality cables loved by all.

If you wanted to pay out the ass for the absolute best, there's Blue Jeans Cable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 2484
Location: Kentucky
I'd also recommend Mediabridge cables, which are available on Amazon. And I don't think you need to go crazy or anything, but why cheap out on the last run to your TV when that can end up negating all the other money you've put in?


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 1739
Used Monster cables are usually cheap, I find them at Goodwill a lot.

But the grip is too tight on some of their cables. I've heard that you can loosen them by using the end of of a small ratchet that is just slightly bigger than the internal diameter of the connector and forcing the connector on to it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 664
Location: Massachusetts, USA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/221047410559

Image

These are super good and on sale at a killer price, just be careful of potential tight grip like the Monster cables mentioned above
_________________
For CRTs, A/V gear, video games & more, be sure to check out my eBay!

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:33 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Posts: 1137
Damn, Atlona cable for $7.50 shipped?? Thats crazy good.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:46 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254
Dazza wrote:
I'm spending a fortune


Well if you are spending a fortune for everything else, might as well go all out on the final piece as well, I recommend the Nordost Silver Screen HD:

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:22 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 1739
Josh128 wrote:
Damn, Atlona cable for $7.50 shipped?? Thats crazy good.


Well.... who else besides us is buying them? Demand's got to be pretty low.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:28 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Posts: 1137
Yeah, these days you can hardly (if at all) find a new TV with component inputs. These are such a good price I snagged one, and I wasnt even looking for one.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 am 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2019
Posts: 108
Location: Atlanta, GA
Sorry I can't really help. More impressed by the answers. I use the audio and G line on generic male to male Component cable I bought at Goodwill for my NES. Seems good.

Atlona 3 feet / 1 meter cable for $7.50 shipped, I need to get in on that. May as well add 3x a female to female RGB / Component extender from same seller for $3.95 to chain 2 cables together.

Nordost Silver Screen HD, I looked this up. $200 for a 2 meter cable gets you pure silver 7N (99.99999%) 20 AWG, solid not stranded, "Dual Micro Mono-Filament" to allow mostly air as the dielectric. 16 Ohms per 1000 feet (5.3 from each cable) and less than -1.13dB per 100 meters (23% power loss), I assume at 6 MHz. Most luxury cable and specs I've ever seen. Copper cable at 100 meters of any thickness would be 100% power loss. Obviously much less at 2 meters.

To put this in perspective, I was reading an audio cable rage site a few days ago that said 5N is the max that can be proven in a laboratory for silver and 6N for copper. Air is supposed to be the best dielectric for audio but can't use in humid environment. Silver has 6% better conductivity than copper but can make copper thicker at 17 AWG to match ohmic losses. 20 AWG is very thick already when I see RGB tin-platted copper cable for sale with 26 AWG.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:20 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254
NewSchoolBoxer wrote:
Nordost Silver Screen HD, I looked this up. $200 for a 2 meter cable gets you pure silver 7N (99.99999%) 20 AWG, solid not stranded, "Dual Micro Mono-Filament" to allow mostly air as the dielectric. 16 Ohms per 1000 feet (5.3 from each cable) and less than -1.13dB per 100 meters (23% power loss), I assume at 6 MHz. Most luxury cable and specs I've ever seen. Copper cable at 100 meters of any thickness would be 100% power loss. Obviously much less at 2 meters.

To put this in perspective, I was reading an audio cable rage site a few days ago that said 5N is the max that can be proven in a laboratory for silver and 6N for copper. Air is supposed to be the best dielectric for audio but can't use in humid environment. Silver has 6% better conductivity than copper but can make copper thicker at 17 AWG to match ohmic losses. 20 AWG is very thick already when I see RGB tin-platted copper cable for sale with 26 AWG.


I have got a 1 Meter one, great component picture quality on a broadcast monitor. I don't use it too much these days though since now I almost completely have an RGB setup (either natively RGB or through modding) with RGB cables I got from Retro Access, but some things are still component-only, like for example S-Video transcoding to Component which I use the Nordost cable for (since my Broadcast monitor can't do S-Video).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2020
Posts: 98
:roll:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:39 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 664
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Lawfer wrote:
NewSchoolBoxer wrote:
Nordost Silver Screen HD, I looked this up. $200 for a 2 meter cable gets you pure silver 7N (99.99999%) 20 AWG, solid not stranded, "Dual Micro Mono-Filament" to allow mostly air as the dielectric. 16 Ohms per 1000 feet (5.3 from each cable) and less than -1.13dB per 100 meters (23% power loss), I assume at 6 MHz. Most luxury cable and specs I've ever seen. Copper cable at 100 meters of any thickness would be 100% power loss. Obviously much less at 2 meters.

To put this in perspective, I was reading an audio cable rage site a few days ago that said 5N is the max that can be proven in a laboratory for silver and 6N for copper. Air is supposed to be the best dielectric for audio but can't use in humid environment. Silver has 6% better conductivity than copper but can make copper thicker at 17 AWG to match ohmic losses. 20 AWG is very thick already when I see RGB tin-platted copper cable for sale with 26 AWG.


I have got a 1 Meter one, great component picture quality on a broadcast monitor. I don't use it too much these days though since now I almost completely have an RGB setup (either natively RGB or through modding) with RGB cables I got from Retro Access, but some things are still component-only, like for example S-Video transcoding to Component which I use the Nordost cable for (since my Broadcast monitor can't do S-Video).


Curious - what do you use for the Svid to YPbPr decoding/transcoding: Koryuu? RetroTink 2X on passthrough with a HDMI to component, perchance? Or something else...?
_________________
For CRTs, A/V gear, video games & more, be sure to check out my eBay!

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254
kitty666cats wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
NewSchoolBoxer wrote:
Nordost Silver Screen HD, I looked this up. $200 for a 2 meter cable gets you pure silver 7N (99.99999%) 20 AWG, solid not stranded, "Dual Micro Mono-Filament" to allow mostly air as the dielectric. 16 Ohms per 1000 feet (5.3 from each cable) and less than -1.13dB per 100 meters (23% power loss), I assume at 6 MHz. Most luxury cable and specs I've ever seen. Copper cable at 100 meters of any thickness would be 100% power loss. Obviously much less at 2 meters.

To put this in perspective, I was reading an audio cable rage site a few days ago that said 5N is the max that can be proven in a laboratory for silver and 6N for copper. Air is supposed to be the best dielectric for audio but can't use in humid environment. Silver has 6% better conductivity than copper but can make copper thicker at 17 AWG to match ohmic losses. 20 AWG is very thick already when I see RGB tin-platted copper cable for sale with 26 AWG.


I have got a 1 Meter one, great component picture quality on a broadcast monitor. I don't use it too much these days though since now I almost completely have an RGB setup (either natively RGB or through modding) with RGB cables I got from Retro Access, but some things are still component-only, like for example S-Video transcoding to Component which I use the Nordost cable for (since my Broadcast monitor can't do S-Video).


Curious - what do you use for the Svid to YPbPr decoding/transcoding: Koryuu? RetroTink 2X on passthrough with a HDMI to component, perchance? Or something else...?


Koryuu for now, I also got an Entech CVSI-1 but haven't had time to set it up and test it yet.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Decent Component Cables
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:03 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 664
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Lawfer wrote:
Koryuu for now, I also got an Entech CVSI-1 but haven't had time to set it up and test it yet.


Oh WOW, you lucky duck, that’s a rare one - where/when did you get that? If you end up unimpressed by the Entech and don’t feel like keeping it, I have oodles upon oodles of converters/video gear/funky cables n adapters etc... would def love to trade stuff for it to try it out! I’ve got various non-video game stuff that it would potentially be great for. Was actually reading about them literally earlier today, after having forgot that Entech briefly made wacky AV gear along with Monster
_________________
For CRTs, A/V gear, video games & more, be sure to check out my eBay!

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobrocks95, cyberosis, highzeth, Kez, Taiyaki and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group