CRT's "zero input lag" = 8.333ms Samsung's Terrace is 8.8ms

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
orange808

Re: CRT's "zero input lag" = 8.333ms Samsung's Terrace is 8

Post by orange808 »

I remember a friend of mine got a new LCD monitor and he was so proud. He bragged and bragged. I went around to see and it was an assault on my eyes. I remember trying so hard distract myself while I nodded and agreed. A few months later, I bought myself a nice new CRT. He made fun of it. Called it a huge, old, big, "clunker". Made fun of the 4:3 aspect ratio. *shrug*

I still have that monitor and it still still looks nice. Funny story, he got rid of that blurry piece of crap LCD years ago. I think he was telling me about 32 bit color on his nvidia card, too. The framerate was a slide show. :) My Voodoo 3 was blazing fast (16 bit and I didn't care) and I was fragging people left and right on my CRT. Ha! People love hype.
We apologise for the inconvenience
xeos

Re: CRT's "zero input lag" = 8.333ms Samsung's Terrace is 8

Post by xeos »

orange808 wrote: I still have that monitor and it still still looks nice. Funny story, he got rid of that blurry piece of crap LCD years ago. I think he was telling me about 32 bit color on his nvidia card, too. The framerate was a slide show. :) My Voodoo 3 was blazing fast (16 bit and I didn't care) and I was fragging people left and right on my CRT. Ha! People love hype.
You're lucky it still works; my last new CRT was purchased in 2004 or thereabouts and lasted just about 10 years before it got so dim and otherwise distorted that I could no longer convince myself it was superior to a nice IPS LCD. Recently my old neuroscience lab discovered a cache of exactly 100 unused CRTs stockpiled by a Hollywood studio around 2004 and never even taken out of the box; we were ecstatic to be able to buy new in box top of the line CRTs and jumped on the opportunity to buy 7. Other labs around the country did the same and seller was OOS within a month. Now that OLED displays are starting to become mainstream there's some hope that CRTs can finally be retired.