Barco ADVM28

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Earl_of_Nothing

Barco ADVM28

Post by Earl_of_Nothing »

Hello guys,

So i've picked up a barco monitor for cheap and i'm having trouble making it work with my consoles.

My equipments for the monitor include :

- A component to sdi converter
- A RGB2COMP
Image Image

One of the quirks of this monitor is, there is no direct way to plug my consoles (i just have rgb and component cables for most of them) no native rgb or component. The only way, i can get a picture with what i have, is with the sdi input. (There is also 2 composite inpouts and 1 s video input). So i have to convert the signal for component directly in the sdi converter and for rgb to the rgb2comp than the sdi converter.

When it works, it's great especially with 2d graphics. But here is where it get's weird, sometimes is works just fine, other times the picture just roll, or it's weirdly displayed or not at all (for the not displayed i found out the monitor is just not compatible with the resolutions). It's weird because it feels random there is no resolution switch i can find.

I don't know if i need to change the sdi converter or do i need something to downscale to a resolution that works most of the time or mod the monitor or do i just use a component to svideo transcoder (which feels like a waste).

Btw: I found out you can use lightguns with sdi which i thought wasn't possible.

Example with composite cables Supergrafx and Ps2
Image Image

Anyways, sorry for the bad english and looking foward to your suggestions.
kaede31416

Re: Barco ADVM28

Post by kaede31416 »

I have a similar monitor ADVM 20, I don't think it is possible to get 240P content with SDI input, but 480i will do.
Have you ever tried testing it with PS2 or other 480i consoles?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

That's an interesting setup.

For the Supergrafx, do you get an actual 240p picture or is it 480i?

In my experience, SDI does not work well with 240p. If an analogue to SDI converter actually passes 240p through as it is, the monitor will not sync properly with it, but if the converter outputs it as a 480i signal then it usually does, and can look fine in many cases. I'm guessing that the AJA does the latter, but may not be able to handle systems with refresh rates that are too far from spec. SD-SDI in general is less tolerant of non-conventional signals than analogue inputs.

And lightguns working is not surprising since the CRT is still displaying a 15khz signal from the SD-SDI input.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I'd just use s-video. It looks almost as good as RGB.

Probably better than analog RGB that's converted to digital then right back to analog
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Yeah, just use s-video. Why do You even brother with those converters? Do not overcomplicate stuff if You can just go the easy route.

S-video on a Barco is amazing.

Wysłane z mojego H3113 przy użyciu Tapatalka
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I know ADVM’s have been successfully RGB modded before (at least the ADVM20) but I am pretty sure it’s a big fuggin pain compared to most any other CRT RGB mod :o

A fella in the CRT Discord, specifically, successfully did the 20
Earl_of_Nothing

Post by Earl_of_Nothing »

Hello guys, thank you for your replies.

So i'm thinking, i already have a ton of high quality rgb equipment so i can use this: https://www.axunworks.com/RGB-to-Compos ... 41706.html

For the component i only have the wii, ps2 and xbox so i'm going to use the sdi converter for them maybe not the wii because it's 480p and i haven't tested it yet on the barco, work got in the way. :/

Anyways, i also didn't know that sdi is incompatible with anything below 480i from what i can tell.

I'll post the results when the Axunworks arrives.

Cheers and sorry for the bad english and looking foward to your replies.