NTSC Gamecubes - Best way to connect

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

NTSC Gamecubes - Best way to connect

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Hi there,

Currently I have a 2008 Sony LED in my game room which has component on it and 3 HDMI's.

I've got a DOL-001 Purple Japanese machine (modded with a switch for USA games) and a component cable which I bought way back in 2001-2 for $30 (lucky me).

I've bought a backup machine, orange DOL-001 boxed from Japan which hasn't arrived yet.

I am just wondering a couple of things -

I will eventually swap out the Sony LED for a LG CX

At this time -

1) If I wanted both machines plugged in, would one be better suited via component cable to a HDMI adapter, if so which one would work?
2) What is the best digital output HDMI converter currently on the market?

Any caveats?

Thanks guys.

Richie.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
nmalinoski

Re: NTSC Gamecubes - Best way to connect

Post by nmalinoski »

neorichieb1971 wrote:1) If I wanted both machines plugged in, would one be better suited via component cable to a HDMI adapter, if so which one would work?
If your primary target is a flat panel, I think you'd do best with a plug-n-play GCVideo product for both. Going from digital to analogue YPbPr back to digital with the official YPbPr cable is unnecessary; unless you're going to use your GameCube with a YPbPr-capable CRT, I think you can safely put away your component cable--it's a collector's piece now.
neorichieb1971 wrote:2) What is the best digital output HDMI converter currently on the market?
Just about everything that's available right now is based on GCVideo, so they end up being the same for the most part in terms of capability and features. If you had something like a Panasonic Q, then you wouldn't be able to physically use something like the Eon GCHD; but you have regular GameCubes, so that's moot--I just can't recommend the Eon GCHDs because they're still $150.

You probably would want to wait for a Retro-Bit Prism; it's a reasonable price ($80 USD; in line with other GCVideo products of this style), has a proper reproduction connector (rather than a rougher 3D-printed connector or the riskier PCB-sandwich connectors), and includes a USB port for easily updating the firmware.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The Insurrection Industries Carby is available today, for $80 USD, and uses a real metal connector rather than a plastic one. I'm not sure why you'd wait for the Retro-Bit Prism, other than it being a bit easier to update the firmware.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

^^

Carby is good. I bought a Kaico HDMI adapter in 2020 to compare to the official component cables I have. It was only $69 and has a metal case just like the Carby. Works great, but cant tell the difference between it and my official GC component cables on my Sammy F4500 plasma. I see the Kaico is now $80 so it no longer has any price advantage vs the Carby.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Component cable --> OSSC for line-doubled 480p is the best choice, imo.